Angelfood Cake

Options
flachix
flachix Posts: 256 Member
I count it as a protein:heart:
I make half a recipe and half a recipe has 450 calories, no fat, 20 grams of protein, I don't remember the carbs, there is a half a cup of flour in my 1/2 recipe, also I count the Splenda as 100 cals. since I went to their website and they tell me a cup has 24 carbs.

1 3/4 Cups Splenda
1/4 tsp salt
1 Cup Cake flour Sifted
12 egg whites ( I actually use just 5 when I do a half recipe, not 6)
1/3 Cup warm water
1 tsp extract of choice
1 1/2 tsp of cream of tartar

preheat oven to 350
In a food processor spin sugar about 2 minutes until it is super fine ( not necessary with Splenda) sift half the sugar with the salt in the cake flour, set the remaining sugar aside, in a large bowl, use a balloon whisk to thoroughly combine the egg whites, water, extract and cream of tartar. after 2 minutes switch to a hand mixer, slowly sift the reserved sugar, beating continuously at medium speed, once you have achieved medium peaks sift enough of the flour mixture in to dust the top of the foam, using a spatula fold in gently. continue until all of the flour mixture is incorporated. carefully spoon mixture into an ungreased tube pan, bake for 35 minutes before checking for doneness with a wooden skewer. (when inserted halfway between the inner and outer wall the skewer should come out dry.) cool upside down on cooling rack for at least an hour before removing from pan.

that, of course is the hard version:laugh:
I use regular flour, sifted, I don't process anything. I use a plain old hand mixer through out the entire preparation, I do make the eggs and water foamy, beat to medium peaks add the splenda a bit at a time, then fold in the dry. I plop it into a regular old loaf pan or casserole dish and bake away. and it comes out great. I get 8 HUGE servings and its 50 ish cals a serving. just right under fresh fruit, which here in florida means strawberries from plant city:love:

Replies

• flachix
    flachix Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I count it as a protein:heart:
    I make half a recipe and half a recipe has 450 calories, no fat, 20 grams of protein, I don't remember the carbs, there is a half a cup of flour in my 1/2 recipe, also I count the Splenda as 100 cals. since I went to their website and they tell me a cup has 24 carbs.

1 3/4 Cups Splenda
    1/4 tsp salt
    1 Cup Cake flour Sifted
    12 egg whites ( I actually use just 5 when I do a half recipe, not 6)
    1/3 Cup warm water
    1 tsp extract of choice
    1 1/2 tsp of cream of tartar

preheat oven to 350
    In a food processor spin sugar about 2 minutes until it is super fine ( not necessary with Splenda) sift half the sugar with the salt in the cake flour, set the remaining sugar aside, in a large bowl, use a balloon whisk to thoroughly combine the egg whites, water, extract and cream of tartar. after 2 minutes switch to a hand mixer, slowly sift the reserved sugar, beating continuously at medium speed, once you have achieved medium peaks sift enough of the flour mixture in to dust the top of the foam, using a spatula fold in gently. continue until all of the flour mixture is incorporated. carefully spoon mixture into an ungreased tube pan, bake for 35 minutes before checking for doneness with a wooden skewer. (when inserted halfway between the inner and outer wall the skewer should come out dry.) cool upside down on cooling rack for at least an hour before removing from pan.

that, of course is the hard version:laugh:
    I use regular flour, sifted, I don't process anything. I use a plain old hand mixer through out the entire preparation, I do make the eggs and water foamy, beat to medium peaks add the splenda a bit at a time, then fold in the dry. I plop it into a regular old loaf pan or casserole dish and bake away. and it comes out great. I get 8 HUGE servings and its 50 ish cals a serving. just right under fresh fruit, which here in florida means strawberries from plant city:love: