Slightly odd question

Options
Alright so to start off with I'm on a really REALLY tight budget.
Unfortunately I live in Australia where everything is imported and as such cost about three gazzilion dollars, this includes exercise equipment.
I've been wanting to do weights for a while (I know that sounds weird, but I don't get a lot of strength training in, I was thinking doing reps while reading ect) but the ones I see in sports shops are always really expensive, I saw some in Kmart a while ago but not sure if they're still for sale.
If anyone has any ideas for weight-substitutes that would be awesome.
What I have thought of so far:
Water bottle (when running or something, one in each hand)

Thank you!

Replies

• kellybones
    kellybones Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Gallon of water/milk is about 8lbs - you can curl those, press those, etc

Cans of soup also work for this.

Generally, if you can pick it up, you can use it for lifting

Also, bodyweight exercises are great
  • nphill41
    Options
    Why don't you just go to a gym? If you walked there, even better.
  • Gabbylou22
    Gabbylou22 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Why don't you just go to a gym? If you walked there, even better.

Gym member ship is like $250, sorry but if I can't afford weights....
  • sandislim
    sandislim Posts: 264
    Options
    Have a look on ebay or similar, people are always getting rid of unwanted exercise equipment. You could pick up a bargain. Also there's a great book called 'you are your own gym' - which has loads of body weight exercises for every muscle and you only need household items and yourself!
  • MizzDoc
    MizzDoc Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    If there are thrift or second hand stores, you can try those.

I used to use a phone book, lol. Gallon water bottles are also very good as well. If you have empty ones, you can fill them with sand.

Good luck!
  • 1a1a
    1a1a Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    I'd go for the using-your-body-as-a-weight thing or sign up to freecycle (the yahoogroup) and ask for a set (as they will be free), I can only dream how many well intentioned sets of weights collect dust in people's homes.

High 5 for another down-under mfpal :-)
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Alright so to start off with I'm on a really REALLY tight budget.
    Unfortunately I live in Australia where everything is imported and as such cost about three gazzilion dollars, this includes exercise equipment.
    I've been wanting to do weights for a while (I know that sounds weird, but I don't get a lot of strength training in, I was thinking doing reps while reading ect) but the ones I see in sports shops are always really expensive, I saw some in Kmart a while ago but not sure if they're still for sale.
    If anyone has any ideas for weight-substitutes that would be awesome.
    What I have thought of so far:
    Water bottle (when running or something, one in each hand)

Thank you!

you can get hand weights for about 4.40 a kg where i live in aus. thats not that bad. about 20 bucks for a pair of 2kg weights
  • kellybones
    kellybones Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if there is a craiglist for AU or not but that is another option.
  • netchik
    netchik Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    If you have a long container with a lid (like a dalfour jam jar) you can fill it with sand. That's what the soft weight (from reebok etc) are made from. Even better a plastic jar with a lid. Problem being it needs to be narrow enough to hold. Otherwise if you can sew, then heavy duty plastic tube, covered it a nice material / neoprene.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    You can do almost all the exercises you can do with weights using resistance bands. They cost next to nothing so you can get them in a couple of strengths. Use Google and YouTube for exercises to do with them.

As far as I know you don't have Amazon in Australia, so try a sports equipment store. Here's one and the bands are on discount starting at AUS$5!
    http://www.gymandfitness.com.au/force-usa-flat-bands.html

Good luck!
  • persian_star
    persian_star Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Tins of baked beans or any canned food that is at least partly liquid are good for starting - here (UK) I think they're about 400g and they're definitely cheap! :o) And they're good for you too when you get round to eating them ;o)

After a while though you may have to invest in some small weights as the size to weight ratio will mean you'll want to juggle 3 cans in each hand ;o) I managed to get a set of 3 pairs of weights, 500g, 1kg and 1.5 kg for about £15, maybe put a little bit of cash aside each month so when you're ready for them you can afford them? Even then though, I'm beginning to think I'd like to get some heavier ones (been lifting for 2 months) and they start to go through the roof pricewise as soon as the weight and the bar aren't integrated.

Also, don't be afraid to use your own body weight to strengthen your arms, push ups (I'm still on my knees but I can finally get through 2 sets of reps without stopping) and plank exercises are brilliant and you don't need any equipment, just youtube to give you ideas :o)

HTH
  • Lozzy_82
    Lozzy_82 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    On a lot of the DVDs I own they suggest using water bottles or cans of food if you don't have weights :)
  • jam3114
    jam3114 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Also using your furniture - I think you can use chairs to do tricep dips & things like that
  • vanessaclarkgbr
    vanessaclarkgbr Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Tins of tomatoes/beans - use the same product in each hand though to make sure you don't have a weight imbalance!
  • shivaslives
    shivaslives Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    You can use books with strap or rope around them for a handle. Vary the stack for difference weights.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Bodyweight exercises are a good alternative if you can't afford weights.
  • 1a1a
    Options
    I'm not sure if there is a craiglist for AU or not but that is another option.

www.gumtree.com.au I love :-) (I think we have craigs list as well but it's more underground).
  • 1a1a
    Options
    As far as I know you don't have Amazon in Australia

Tee hee hee, we can get things from Amazon... thank goodness...*thinks of all the esoteric CDs, DVDs and books that would otherwise be completely unavailable*. Can be hefty shipping costs though sometimes so its rareness and desirability have to be high enough to justify the extra expense.

In this case looking in sports shops is the better idea :-D.
  • PegasusDeb
    PegasusDeb Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Garage sales, Goodwill, Salvation Army. I was looking for a Total Gym & found one on Craig's List for $100! So, just be patient, keep looking & in the meantime use all the things the others suggest (and as your waiting for the deal of the century, keep squirreling money aside, before ya know it, you'll have it covered!) I do agree about resistant bands. If you have a medical store or maybe even an auto parts store, you can find the rubber tubing they use to make them.
  • holly_v
    holly_v Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    use your body as weights http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/tipsandtricks/a/basictraining.htm
    body rock also shows a lot of weight training that you dont need equipment for. she uses it but you dont have to (she gives you alternatives) http://www.bodyrock.tv/