Help!!

Hi all,

So, I'm 24, I'm 5'8.5'' , and I weigh about 148 pounds. I'm trying to lose about 10-15 pounds- this has long been a goal of mine.

I recently started a more low-carb, high-protein diet, and started going to the gym more (incorporating weight training, which I didn't do much of before) , and my calorie intake has not gone over 1600 calories. No junky snacks, no alcohol, no desserts, Lots of veggies. Somehow, I've managed to GAIN several pounds in the course of a week.

I know there could be many reasons for this, but this is super demoralizing for me. Anyone have any suggestions?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Water weight
  • susalameh
    susalameh Posts: 4 Member
    water weight due to what?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited January 2019
    New workouts cause your muscles to retain water to repair themselves. That water weight.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Often when you start new exercises you will retain additional water to help with muscle repair. There can be other factors as well. It is common for people to fluctuate 5lbs or so.

Check this out:

http://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations/

I also suggest getting a food scale to verify that you are logging correctly. All solid food items should be weighed not measured in measuring cups.

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    susalameh wrote: »

Starting lifting

Eating a lot of sodium

Getting your period

Ovulation

ALL of the above!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,959 Member
    susalameh wrote: »

Starting lifting

Eating a lot of sodium

Getting your period

Ovulation

ALL of the above!

Also stress.

And possibly glycogen storage if not weighing food and actually eating more than planned, or if eating back exercise calories and relying on exaggerated machine estimates of calories burned.