Sugar vs fat

Options
I just wanted to share something I found interesting. I watched an interesting show lastnight where two genetic twins went a month one on High sugar and one high fat diet. They both had pre and post tests done to see the effects.
The one on a high fat diet lost 3.5kg, but 2kg of that was muscle. He also was only .1 away from being pre diabetic in the diabetes test at the end of the month. The high fat diet also limited his concentration and mental ability’s.
The guy on the high sugar diet only lost 1kg. Half of that was muscle. He passed the diabetes test at the end with flying colours despite being on a High sugar diet. His mental ability and concentration was much stronger than the guy on the high fat diet.

This is obviously not a accurate trial on the affects of each diet as each person would be affected differently. I was quiet shocked that the high fat diet guy was affected so badly. Yes he lost plenty on weight but he also lost more muscle than fat despite eating a tonne of protein/ meat. Apparently his body couldn’t process the sugar as well as the guy on the high sugar diet because he had avoided sugar for so long causing him to come very close to diabetes after the glucose test. I thought for sure the guy on the high sugar diet would be the one nearing diabetes.

Replies

• glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,592 Member
    Options
    Plus there's the whole sugar doesn't actually cause diabetes thing.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Well... I am guessing they were using dexa to establish lean mass.. remember, that a low carb diet, a lot of the weight at first is water weight. That can change a dexa scan. It can pick up fluid as lean mass...
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »

And the whole, "you can't really draw meaningful conclusions about impact on health after only a month of dietary changes"
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    glassyo wrote: »

And the whole, "you can't really draw meaningful conclusions about impact on health after only a month of dietary changes"

And the whole "results from a test of one subject and one control (or two subjects and no control) is not sufficient to draw meaningful conclusions from."