Post LIFT protein meal ideas!

Options
I do IF 16:8 and am getting strict about what I’m eating after lifting. Do you have any go to meals that you think work for you?

Replies

• Teabythesea_
    Teabythesea_ Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I always keep hard boiled eggs on hand so sometimes one or two of those. I'll mash them up with some Greek yogurt and make egg salad and put it on a sandwich or eat it with crackers. Tuna and salmon packets are also good and can be eaten the same way. Today I had a morning workout and had an egg white omelette with leftover chicken and kodiak cakes. It really depends on how hungry I am and what time of the day i workout. It's almost never the same.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I usually lift right before dinner, so food is 8-16oz meat plus a cup or two of vegetables.

On Saturdays I lift right before lunch, so food is usually half a dozen eggs with cheese and leftover meat if there is any.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I eat dinner, if it was an evening workout. For a morning workout, I eat breakfast after.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    For me, depending on the time it's either a protein shake or lunch (which is usually chicken breast or tuna and vegetables/salad)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    lunch usually...sometimes dinner...sometimes breakfast depending on the day and my schedule.

I'm not sure what you mean by "works for you"...I'm lifting on my lunch break today and will eat my tandori chicken afterwards which is what I packed in my lunch. Most of my meals except breakfast have some kind of meat, poultry, or fish involved.
  • Moonlitriver17
    Moonlitriver17 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    lunch usually...sometimes dinner...sometimes breakfast depending on the day and my schedule.

I'm not sure what you mean by "works for you"...I'm lifting on my lunch break today and will eat my tandori chicken afterwards which is what I packed in my lunch. Most of my meals except breakfast have some kind of meat, poultry, or fish involved.
    I mean lean gains.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

I mean lean gains.

Which means what to you?
  • tonyfastz06
    tonyfastz06 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    my post workout is 2 scoops of choc whey isolate, a banana and 2 tablespoons of PB2 powdered peanut butter in about 350ml of water... then i eat within 90 min.
  • CowboySar
    CowboySar Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    My post work out is a protein shake on the way home from the gym and then supper, protein, carb, veggie
  • flowerhorsey
    flowerhorsey Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    For me, I eat supper after I lift most days.. Sometimes it takes me a while to feel hungry afterwards. So it just depends. On heathy food prepped days it's meat, veggies, and potatoes or rice and probably gravy. On unhealthy days it's chips, french onion dip, ice cream, wine or whiskey and/or cake. plus forced protein.. times when I am not very hungry it's a protein shake or yogurt and pineapple, or crackers and cheese. I'm trying to be a healthier eater though.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I just go home and eat dinner. Usually a meat and some veggies, and some sort of carb like rice, bread, or potato. If cutting, I'll skip the rice/bread or just eat a very small portion. Sometimes we'll have a meatless meal, but there is always some sort of protein, like veggie chili, beans, or cottage cheese.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options

I mean lean gains.

That's going to be determined by the size of your calorie surplus, not your post workout meal.

Not neccessarily.

If your post workout meal and all other meals for the matter was lacking in protien and/or leucine. It's reasonable to say the composition of gains while in a surplus and applying sufficient stress to the muscular cross sections would be different then if one was eating the recommended dosage of protien and leucine to enable optimal MPS to take place.

OP, it's reasonable to say that 30g of protien including 3g of leucine would be a catch all within a well balanced meal when you decide to eat post workout. What foods specifically that will fill that catch all is up to you and relative to the rest of your diet in compliance to your daily caloric intake.

• Silkysausage
    Silkysausage Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Steak bake and a jam doughnut if I want as I follow IIFYM
  • Rabbit91476
    Rabbit91476 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Dry oatmeal mabey apple 1-2 hours before work out. First meal. Usually chicken broccoli quinoa as first meal post work out. If I can’t eat right away. I’ll scarf a apple