Swiss Chard

Options
CTcutie
CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
Hello! Any favorite ways to cook swiss chard?

I don't think I've ever had it, and I live life on the edge :-)

Replies

• JessAndreia
    JessAndreia Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    It's been a while since I've had it, but I used to eat this dish. Tastes good (imo), easy to make, and very simple ingredients.
    https://www.thekidscookmonday.org/recipe-items/potato-black-bean-and-swiss-chard-hash/
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I grow chard and have it in smoothies late spring - early fall.

Here's a great casserole: https://www.thewednesdaychef.com/the_wednesday_chef/2008/07/alice-waterss-s.html

You can also steam it or saute it.

Try it in any recipe that calls for spinach.
  • CTcutie
    Options
    Thanks!! I will try to make it tonight :)
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    I use it occasionally in green smoothies.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,034 Member
    Options
    I put it in soups, stews, omelettes/scrambled eggs; use it in stir fry; saute it in broth briefly; quick-steam it and serve it hot dressed with something like vinegar + prepared mustard; . . . generally anyplace you'd use any mild-tasting cooked greens will be fine.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    I mostly just sautee it or put it in omelets or soup. Basically I treat it as I would spinach. I've used it in green smoothies too.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    This is a favorite of mine, similar to what my grandmother used to make. I grow Swiss chard almost exclusively for this stuff.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.geniuskitchen.com/amp/recipe/crustless-swiss-chard-quiche-311434
  • simcon1
    simcon1 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    What everyone else said: Omlettes, scrambles, risottos, soups, green smoothies, sautéed with a splash of lemon juice, vinegar, or hot sauce. I make it in a Sri Lankan dish, shredded and sautéed with some grated coconut, onions, turmeric, & mustard seeds. Basically I use chard, spinach and kale fairly interchangeably.
  • lpappas84
    lpappas84 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I like to sautee it in a little olive oil with some thinly sliced garlic, and add a little salt and pepper + a tiny sprinkle of red pepper flakes. So tasty!
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Oooh Swiss chard/rainbow chard- one of my favs! Did you know it’s actually in the beet family? I notice the leaves and stalks have a slight sweetness to them. I love it steamed or sautéed.
    I typically sauté with a lil grey sea salt and olive oil.
    Chop rainbow chard and dice the stalks after a light steam and it’s great in salads! Try replacing it when recipes call for celery!
    Bon appétit!
  • kbmnurse1
    kbmnurse1 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Eating Swiss Chard is living life on the edge? LOL
  • idgas11
    idgas11 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am cooking some this evening. Its kinda like Spinach.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Stir fried with yummy sauce, spices, and a tasty protein.
  • Teabythesea_
    Teabythesea_ Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I use them and the leafy parts of beets to make pesto. It's just pine nuts, garlic, olive oil, chard/beet greens and wah-lah. I put it on toast, salmon, pasta... now I've got a craving so it looks like I'll be picking up some tomorrow. ;) It keeps for a while too.
  • CTcutie
    Options
    I sautéed the chopped stalks in a little evoo with 2 cloves of garlic & a little ham, added the chopped leaves, red pepper flakes, and a can of white beans. So good! It cooked reasonably fast.

I do love spinach but never tried chard bc im really lazy... the rinsing, separating & chopping on a week night is not my favorite thing to do @ 8pm, haha! But I love how the leaves don’t get as squishy as spinach, and I know I have eaten it things like soup, I just never bought/prepped it myself.

Eat the chard😀🤣