I wanna make a smoothie!

Options
Raw07
Raw07 Posts: 206
I dont know how to make a smoothie. I know I can easily google it but I would like to know ways to make it. I dont even know if I have the right stuff!

I have ice, milk, frozen strawberrys..... What else do I need?

Thanks!

Replies

• smallerthighs
    Options
    Yogurt....coffee..banana..unsweetened cocoa powder...splenda..ice.....and whatever else you wanna use........I don't think there's a specific rule.
  • britterbrittney
    britterbrittney Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Yogurt....coffee..banana..unsweetened cocoa powder...splenda..ice.....and whatever else you wanna use........I don't think there's a specific rule.

COFFEE :love: thanks for the idea.
  • kimberly702
    kimberly702 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm smoothies.... I use greek yogurt, skim milk, bananas, strawberries, blackberries, watermelon, kiwi, peeled apple slices basically whatever fruit I have lying around.
  • mampm1
    mampm1 Posts: 88
    Options
    I think there's a smoothie in my future tomorrow!
  • britterbrittney
    britterbrittney Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Also, a tip is to have something frozen as a 'thickening' agent. Supposedly, I don't know the science behind it though! :)
  • Jrh2os
    Jrh2os Posts: 28
    Options
    I always use nonfat vanilla yogurt, banana, orange or OJ and frozen strawberries and I add about 2 cups of fresh spinach. The spinach makes it kind of a weird color, but you can't taste it over the strawberry-banana flavor and it also makes it super healthy.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I dont know how to make a smoothie. I know I can easily google it but I would like to know ways to make it. I dont even know if I have the right stuff!

I have ice, milk, frozen strawberrys..... What else do I need?

Thanks!
    A blender. :drinker:
  • kadoodle76
    kadoodle76 Posts: 234
    Options
    dont need nuffin else, pop it in the blender til its smooth a tada! smoothie.:happy:
  • batalina
    batalina Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    that's part of why smoothies are so awesome, you can put just about anything in them! protein powders, tofu, other various powder supplements and fruits and vegetables and all kinds of goodness!
    i usually make mine with just frozen fruit and ice and a little bit of water. my favorite one is a banana, a little peanut butter, a little chocolate syrup, ice, and a little soymilk.
    basically, if you can blend it, you can put in a smoothie!
  • rankailie
    rankailie Posts: 144
    Options
    I use frozen fruit myself so I can avoid adding ice. Here is my everyday recipe that I make with my magic bullet after exercise:

1 cup frozen fruit (No sugar added variety)
    1/4 cup Fage Total 0% yogurt
    1 cup Rice Dream (depends on how thick you want it)

I also add a scoop of unflavored protein powder and psyllium husk to mine but its unnecessary. Blend well and enjoy.

You can also do a combination of frozen and fresh fruit, I sometimes add a banana to mine for potassium, but it tends to be less thick that way.
  • dlovesjimma
    dlovesjimma Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I use almond milk, greek yogurt, a tablespoon of peanut butter, a cup of kale or spinach, a tablespoon of spirulina, a banana and a half a cup of frozen fruit (of your choice).
  • ignatiusreilly
    ignatiusreilly Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    My simple fav is (in advance) freeze a peeled, RIPE banana, then blend the banana with one cup of skim/almond/soy mild, together with frozen blueberries/peaches/mango/strawberries. The frozen fruit make sit nice and thick.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Just about any combo of fruit and liquid will make a smoothie.
    My favourite is banana, frozen berries, natural yoghurt, skim milk.

A spoonful of ground almonds or rolled oats is a good addition too, if you want a filling breakfast smoothie.
    Or you can add peanut butter.
    I hear good things about adding spinach but I haven't tried this.
    You can use juice if you don't want to use milk, but it does add extra cals for not much reward in my opinion.

I have lots of bananas at the moment so I might try a smoothie for breakfast tomorrow with banana, spinach, berries, yoghurt and skim milk.
  • crummywatertowr
    crummywatertowr Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I usually make mine with frozen berries, lactaid milk, protein powder, spinach, and flaxseed oil or powder (depends on what I have). Sometimes I add a banana and some Gatorade powder (orange).
  • Coffeeandkisses
    Options
    Like everyone else said, whatever tickles your pickle!

I made one this morning that was delish - half a cup of frozen berries, handful of ice cubes, a medium peach (skin off), table spoon of natural yoghurt, flax oil, a handful of spinach and about 200ml of natural lemon and lime juice. Perfect!
  • nosugarcoating
    nosugarcoating Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I don't like dairy smoothies that much so I make mine like this:

Blend 4-5 ice cubes with 100ml of multi fruit juice, add 1/2 or a whole banana, and 100g of frozen fruit (I have various kinds at home, a mix of different berries, plain raspberries, and tropical fruit). It comes out very thick, like a frappuccino at Starbucks. Just the way I like it.
  • diverchic73
    diverchic73 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I just do strawberries, banana and orange juice. I find the banana thickens it nicely.
  • DebbPBear
    Options
    I just use frozen fruit and Diet V8 Splash juice. Sometimes yogurt. No ice needed since using frozen. I think it gets too thick with the ice. I don't use milk, to try to keep the calories down. I have no problem getting all my dairy in from other sources. Good Luck!
  • kskostamikel
    Options
    I make smoothies all the time by using the frozen bags of fruit from the grocery store (just make sure they aren't sweetened) and juice or almond milk (depending on what I have in the fridge). Sometimes I'll add yogurt if I happen to have it but its not necessary.
  • vespaberrie
    vespaberrie Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I use frozen fruit myself so I can avoid adding ice. Here is my everyday recipe that I make with my magic bullet after exercise:

Yup, frozen fruit thickens them up without watering them down. I keep a little bit of various fruits (bananas, strawberry, blueberries, mango, pineapples) frozen for that very reason. Mix with dairy, almond milk, soy milk, fruit juice. what ever. I sometimes as Flax oil to mine. A anything can be a smoothie!