Stay-at-home moms 2/16-2/22

Options

Replies

• loreeb18
    loreeb18 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Oh, my! So many new mommies. Welcome everybody! :flowerforyou:

Harley is in a new stage of screaming for fun. I'm thinking of investing in earplugs.
  • mrsbuzz
    mrsbuzz Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Welcome Newbies!!! This group of woman are so great!!:smile:

Thanks everyone for keeping motivated!! :flowerforyou: I am kind of going with the flow this week. I have only worked out once, but hoping next week I can get my butt in gear. Trying not to stress out and just chili for the week. I am just trying to eat better so I don't gain to much back. So far I have only gained 1 lb back, but it goes up and down all the time. I am hope I can join curves next week and start this again.

Thanks again for all of your suppport. I am not sure I could keep going without all! Really you are all have been wonderful!!!:heart:
  • staceyw37
    staceyw37 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    hey ladies--did you see the posts from Banks and Kerri on the general board today? There's some really sound advice/information there. Plus good websites for increasing your own knowledge about body, weight loss, nutrition etc.
    I highly recommend reading the two posts, espec if you are new to mfp.

One point i found helpful to remember--the less weight to lose, the harder/longer it is to lose it. So for those of use who have 20 or less to lose, be extra extra patient, for as Kerri pointed out, it may be only 1 lb a MONTH that you lose. Just how the body works.

But I do have 1 question--how are people burning 900 cal etc in a workout?? What are they doing?? And how long are there sessions? I'm lucky to get in an hour and I typically walk (and I've added a ballet dvd that i LOVE). I realize walking is not high intensity, but still 900 cal??? Other than marathon or triatholon training, I can't see what uses that many cal in a reasonable amlount of time.

It seems i'm full of "stuff" today...i wanted to add that there are some great sites for more ideas for indoor activities w/kids, getting outside for more fresh air etc.
    one is familyfun.com--go to the games section
    and the other is greenhour.org

well, that's all for now. thanks for being there! and i look forward to some responses re: cals burned. thanks thanks :flowerforyou:
  • loreeb18
    loreeb18 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I wondered the same thing. If I do 45 minutes on the elliptical (until I'm sweaty and out of breath, with wobbly legs) I only burn about 340 calories.
  • Lyn_Matthews
    Lyn_Matthews Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Stacey and Lori- I do Turbo Jam (love love love love it) and in 40 minutes I can burn 500+ cals and then if I finish off the hour with a sculpting/toning workout I can burn another 250-300...so there's 800 in an hour. If I really pump up the intensity I can burn 650+ in 40 minutes.

Welcome New Mommies!
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    But I do have 1 question--how are people burning 900 cal etc in a workout?? What are they doing?? And how long are there sessions? I'm lucky to get in an hour and I typically walk (and I've added a ballet dvd that i LOVE). I realize walking is not high intensity, but still 900 cal??? Other than marathon or triatholon training, I can't see what uses that many cal in a reasonable amlount of time.

I imagine many are going off what the machine says? (Those with HRMs it would be good to know what you are doing that works!) I usually work 30-40 mins w/ HR at my max rate which is between 157 and 175 (mostly on the higher end and sometimes a little over) plus warm up and cool down so about 45-55 mins and usually just hit 500 calories on the HRM (though the machine says 800-1100 or so...)

Also, keep in mind that someone who weighs more will burn more calories in that amount of time than someone who weighs less given same HR... isn't that right? I know that is a general statement with a lot of factors, but someone at 250 will burn a lot more calories than someone at 150 in the same time given the same intensity workout. Feel free to tell me if I am wrong... sometimes I think I read something but turns out I just made it up... :laugh:
  • mommyof2kiddos
    Options
    G'morning!

mjtwomail- yep, you're right. I just finished taking that in my nutrition course (a university elective) =)

Well, so far so good today, although it is only 10:15 am lol.. I'm just waiting for my kids to go down for a nap so I can get to my workout. I've only really been doing this for a few days now and I've never felt so great! My moods have improved too. DF told me last night that he likes me better when I'm like this. So I asked him if that meant he was going to buy me a new wardrobe when I reached my goal lol.
  • tazzy
    tazzy Posts: 197
    Options
    I am so tired did shred this morning really pushed hard will move up to level 2 now my new training shoes have turned up they are so comfy and supportive. Been swimming hard for a full hour this afternoon followed by a chill out in the baby pool with my daughters. I am tired now and just want to curl up on the sofa and sleep and I have forgotten to put my baked potato in the oven so gotta think of something else for dinner.

On the plus side I checked in this morning using wii fit and I am no longer in the obese section just overweight and my weight is down 5lbs since my last check 10 days ago so I am pleased with that.

Have a gr8 weekend everybody mine will be hectic I am doing a flyball training weekend with my son and our dog that means an 830 start to set up so I will be working out way early doing shred then my norm cardio although I may knock it down to 30 mins as I will be getting plenty of running around at flyball as it is on for 3 hours and then again for 2 hours on sunday.

Have a good one all.
  • tazzy
    Options
    I am so tired did shred this morning really pushed hard will move up to level 2 now my new training shoes have turned up they are so comfy and supportive. Been swimming hard for a full hour this afternoon followed by a chill out in the baby pool with my daughters. I am tired now and just want to curl up on the sofa and sleep and I have forgotten to put my baked potato in the oven so gotta think of something else for dinner.

On the plus side I checked in this morning using wii fit and I am no longer in the obese section just overweight and my weight is down 5lbs since my last check 10 days ago so I am pleased with that.

Have a gr8 weekend everybody mine will be hectic I am doing a flyball training weekend with my son and our dog that means an 830 start to set up so I will be working out way early doing shred then my norm cardio although I may knock it down to 30 mins as I will be getting plenty of running around at flyball as it is on for 3 hours and then again for 2 hours on sunday.

Have a good one all.
  • harter97
    harter97 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Good Morning everyone! I am so happy there is a place like this to see everyone struggles and that we aren't all supermoms all the time. I think I struggle most with making time for me - workouts, relaxation, time to make good meals - it all seems to come second to everyone else's needs. That is my goal for this next week - MAKE TIME!!
  • CrystalOKeefe
    Options
    Hello Moms!!!!!

Well things are going quite well I feel good and I am fitting into my pregnancy jeans!! WOOHOO !! But my weight has moved from 158 -153.6 I was stuck at 158 for a month then just the other day it dropped!! So I must have moved over that plateau!

My husband ex called and said she was taking the oldest to er cause her face is swollen and in alot of pain.... Come to find out that she has a baby tooth that is loose and wont come out has a severe infection OH MY !!! And because they live in CA and our insurance is in MI they wont take it..... So I guess we submitt it to the insurance company..... This insurance thing has been so confusing ever since our boys snowmobile accident... The coverage is different when he is out there. And she doesnt carry insurance for them.

But yesterday I didnt get a workout in so when we were watching HSM3 me and the girls were dancing and moving as much as we could !! It was fun and the girls were laughing like crazy !!

I am trying to find a good HRM on ebay does any have any good suggestions on brand and type and what to look for?

Well ladies have a great day!!! Oh and voting for my little girl starts monday at 10am !!! I will post the link then !!
  • Lyn_Matthews
    Lyn_Matthews Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Crystal-YEAH FOR YOU!!!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: I so happy that you have made it over the dreaded plateau. Sorry to hear about the insurance mess...never fun.

Tazzy-you did a lot today. Shred is a tough workout on its own AND then you went swimming. Goodness!!! Good for you.

Harter-I think as moms we automatically put ourselves last and actually feel guilty when we try to do something for ourselves. So when you think that exercising is "selfish" tell yourself that you aren't doing it for you, you are doing it for your family. You are doing it so that you will be around longer, to see your kids' kids! You are right you do have to MAKE time, because you will never FIND time. Best of luck to you!

Welcome Newbies! Always nice to see new faces.:flowerforyou:
  • sanifrey
    sanifrey Posts: 2,355 Member
    Options
    Hello Moms!!!!!

Well things are going quite well I feel good and I am fitting into my pregnancy jeans!! WOOHOO !! But my weight has moved from 158 -153.6 I was stuck at 158 for a month then just the other day it dropped!! So I must have moved over that plateau!

My husband ex called and said she was taking the oldest to er cause her face is swollen and in alot of pain.... Come to find out that she has a baby tooth that is loose and wont come out has a severe infection OH MY !!! And because they live in CA and our insurance is in MI they wont take it..... So I guess we submitt it to the insurance company..... This insurance thing has been so confusing ever since our boys snowmobile accident... The coverage is different when he is out there. And she doesnt carry insurance for them.

But yesterday I didnt get a workout in so when we were watching HSM3 me and the girls were dancing and moving as much as we could !! It was fun and the girls were laughing like crazy !!

I am trying to find a good HRM on ebay does any have any good suggestions on brand and type and what to look for?

Well ladies have a great day!!! Oh and voting for my little girl starts monday at 10am !!! I will post the link then !!

I love my Polar F6!! It has a chest strap (that you hardly notice wearing) & a receiver (watch). It's very easy to use! It's nice to know exactly what you're doing because alot of machines & even here at MFP I find that they tend to overestimate my burned calories. To buy one new is $109, many places offer free shipping. I got mine at ****s Sporting Goods! Good luck on finding the one for you!!
  • tazzy
    Options
    aaarrrgggghhhh shred level 2 unmodified totally just killled my *kitten* I am done I cant even begin to think of doing more cardio so I will just accept that 3 hours of flyball training with the dog will keep me on my toes for the rest of the morning.

Oh well gonna grab a shower and wake my son up up for breccy gotta be out at 830 I may go for a walk later I dunno though still pretty tired.

Rest day tomorrow although got another 2 hours of flyball.

Hav a gr8 weekend all.
  • abetterme
    Options
    Good Morning Moms:flowerforyou:

Well this week went pretty good considering the week I had before this was horrible. I am feeling a little blue this morning so I am trying to keep myself from lying down. We got snow last night not sure how much cause it is blowing like crazy and we have knee deep drifts:noway: :grumble:that was not fun wading through those at 5 am this morning.:grumble:

Hope everyone has a good weekend:flowerforyou:
  • Mommy2Girls
    Options
    :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

Well this past week has been horrible. Both my girls are super sick. My youngest (5.5months) has a throat infection and a horrible cold and my oldest (21months) has a double ear infection and a throat infection. They are both on antibiotics. And I've been battling this horrible cold since Wed night. Just when I think I am getting better, I get worse. Today is by far my worst, but my girls seem to be getting better.

I have had a super hard time eating all my calories, but have been trying my best to make healthy choices. I am down another 3 lbs since my last weigh in (almost 2 weeks ago) and praying that I keep it off when I start feeling human again. I haven't exercised all week and I miss it like crazy (surprisingly!)

Days like this I wish we could all just climb into bed and sleep til we feel better!!! My hubby has been home for a few days taking care of us, although he is sick now and has to return to work today :ohwell:

Hope everyone else is healthy and managing to avoid these viruses that are going around.
  • staceyw37
    Options
    mommy2--get well vibes to you all. it is hard when the kiddos get sick---and then the grown ups.
    i hope you all get better soon.

mrs buzz--are you doin ok? just wanted you to know i was thinking about you. :wink:

i wanted to share that for the first time in a LONG time, i overindulged w/o the guilt. let me explain. i'm jewish and friday night is the start of our sabbath. i'm trying to get our family back into it, and a big part of that is special foods. yes, of course, the treats can all be healthy. but the truth is, certain "ritual" foods are just plain good and no one wants the "healthy" version, and part of the fun of it is the sensory memories anyway. for ex, some people let their kids have sugar cereal or donuts or coffee cake on sat am's--the association for kids is sweet treat=sweet sabbath. kwim?

anyway, i knew i was going to bake challah (from scratch) yesterday. challah is a braided yeast egg bread. and mine is super delicious, if i do say so myself! i planned all day for the fact that i was going to eat a loaf of it (w/raisins!) and so last night i did, and savored every bite. it was just so yummy. i knew what i was doing, i had a specific stopping point, and felt satisfied. that is a first for me!! i froze the other loaves and know they are there for me on another shabbat.
    i also had bought some special cookies for the kids and i had only 3. normally, i wd've eaten almost all of them. but this time, i'm committed to my plan and i know those cookies will be there another day. i planned for and allowed a certain amount of "cheat" and it actually worked for me.

i know the goal is long term, and all kinds of food are a part of my lifetime diet.
    but my big success was that i had a lot and could stop. yay for me!

thanks for letting me share this moment with you! i know i always ramble--have a great weekend everyone! and here's to your continued success!:drinker:
  • mommyof2kiddos
    Options
    I'm the same way! If I say "none at all" I doom myself, but if I let myself have a little treat I do better in the long run.

I'm heading off in just a minute to put my kids down for a nap and I'm going to squeeze in a pretty quick workout and a shower before my fiance gets here to pick us up. We're going bowling and to play laser tag (a workout in itself!), then to church.. I'm going to weigh myself this afternoon too. Although I know it won't be 100% accurate since I usually weigh myself in the morning..

Oh, and I'm getting a wii fit today! I'm so excited :)
  • mrsbuzz
    mrsbuzz Posts: 576 Member
    Options

mrs buzz--are you doin ok? just wanted you to know i was thinking about you. :wink:

Thanks for checking to see if I am ok.:flowerforyou: That means a lot to me. I am doing alright, not as good as i want to be. I did lose a little bit of weight but not sure how much I can keep doing this. So much going on and I am so tired. My friend and I were hanging out last nigth and she is a nurse and we might have come to a conclusion that I might be low on iron and that might be why I am so exhausted all the time. I can't stay asleep at night always tossing and turning, i love to eat ice and my fingernails have been curving. I am thinking of making a doctors appt to get all my stuff checked from cholestrol, iron, and all the other stuff.

I hope you are doing well and things are goign well in your new journey!!! Thanks again for checking.:heart:
  • staceyw37
    Options
    mrs buzz, that sounds like a good plan. see the dr now before you move so you don't have to start all over with new dr, etc. plus, it's just good to get your bloodwork done every few years--know your #s, knowledge = power, etc.
    so i hope you're able to get in to see someone soon. and that the moving process goes along. be well--