Started 4 days ago

Options
I started my weight lose 4 days ago. I am almost 400 pounds and I just finally said enough is enough. I have high blood pressure that is not very well controlled with meds. I went from lying down all day and even get in tubs not showers because my legs cant handle my weight, eating a big bag of chips and 2 lt pop daily at well as almost all may meals are processed foods to the last 4 days absolutely no junk o pop and I think not eating enough. My head feels like it weight as much as my body and I am peeing way more like 7 times a day. Yesterday I actually thought was going to papas out once which I think was from lack of calories. I was guessing on my calories and man you need to eat a lot more food to reach your calorie goals when your not eating crap. I came here to start logging my food and get support and advice.

If anyone has some advice to someone going from never doing anything to starting doing little bits and eating better please let me know. I feel like I'm dying sometimes and now a bit better other then the head feelings.

I got all blood work done and only thing was bad was vitamin d because I do not go outside and haven't really other then my front step in a few years. So I'm on d3 pills but other then that just my blood pressure meds and no other health problems. Thank you very much for any and and all advice you have for me in starting my weight loss journey.

Replies

• PamGeirng
    PamGeirng Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the journey! So glad that you started. I myself have lost a little over 80 pounds and I did fifty of them using My Fitness Pal. I am about to my goal weight and am going to try once again to figure out the whole maintaining thing. I personally have found that a littler harder for myself than losing the initial weight. My advise to you is to realize you are on a lifelong journey of changing bad habits for new healthy ones and so start where you are at and work up. I had to get in shape just to get in shape. I started slow and now I walk 4 exercise miles a day 5 days a week. I need to add in some more strength training. You can still eat delicious food you just need to use portion control. Don't try to cut everything you love out. Eat in a way that you can do for the rest of your life. If you fad diet the min you add stuff back in from my experience you gain it back. I eat some sugar everyday because I didn't think I could live without the rest of my life. It is just limited. Going off of soda is a great thing. I do not miss it. If you are drinking lots of water you will feel like you are peeing every other min but it is so good for you plus fills you up. Take the foods you love and learn how to make them less fattening. Higher protein and less carb is what works best for me but as long as I stay within my carb limit I'm not to worried about it. A lot of people who are extremely over weight are hiding from some kind of pain behind a wall of fat. Make sure you are getting yourself emotionally healthy as you go because if not you will feel exposed and insecure when the weight is gone. If you want you can friend me. Good luck! Don't give up! How many calories are you now eating a day?
  • weightgoesbyebye
    weightgoesbyebye Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Wow i thank the both of you in taking the time to give me that great advice. As for my calories I do not know I just joined and it said 2200 I think but I know the last 4 days were no where near that. But how that I joined I will track my foods so I know if I need to eat more. Also do I need to hit my calories right on or is a bit under bit over sometimes ok as long as I'm close.

Thanks again for the great advice..
  • weightgoesbyebye
    weightgoesbyebye Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Also I noticed by the time my next meal comes i am like a puppy it's like i never ate for days and I get the shakes. I think that's mainly because I'm going from my best guess 5000 calories from junk to eating better and not enough.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Getting a food scale will go a long ways to helping you make sure you get enough calories and know exactly how much you're eating. It might be a pain in the beginning building entries that are reliable but once you start building up a list it'll be easier. It's a learning experience in the beginning for everyone as you learn what is calorie dense, what's not so calorie dense and how to balance the two.
  • mgookin
    mgookin Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Wow i thank the both of you in taking the time to give me that great advice. As for my calories I do not know I just joined and it said 2200 I think but I know the last 4 days were no where near that. But how that I joined I will track my foods so I know if I need to eat more. Also do I need to hit my calories right on or is a bit under bit over sometimes ok as long as I'm close.

Going over and going under some days are okay. As long as you dont exceed past your "weekly" calorie limit. (Even if you do exceed the weekly limit, depending on the limit may just result in a smaller loss for that week)
    Monday my calories were under by about 200, Tuesday my calories was over by 150. So they kinda even each other out.

Just make sure you have a food scale and weighing everything as much as possible. Especially oils, nuts, butter, peanut butter, avocado. If you aren't using a food scale, calories add up quickly when just judging portion sizes and using measuring spoons/cups because they are often very inaccurate.
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    Options

If you don't have a food scale I highly recommend getting one, this will help a lot with figuring out correct portion sizes.
  • DrizztGirl82
    DrizztGirl82 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I fully agree with the others about the food scale. I got one after judging and it amazed me how wrong I was about a lot of foods! Some I was able to have more, but most I was over guessing the amount and had to cut back.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,234 Member
    Options
    Also I noticed by the time my next meal comes i am like a puppy it's like i never ate for days and I get the shakes. I think that's mainly because I'm going from my best guess 5000 calories from junk to eating better and not enough.

The bolded really doesn't sound good. Has your doctor tested you for any blood sugar issues? (Not necessarily just diabetes; there are others.)

You may need to consider allocating your calories to have some snacks between meals, or start with a higher calorie goal and reduce it slowly. You really shouldn't be getting the shakes.

It's important to eat enough, for your health. If you find yourself unable to get at least close to your calorie goal, instead of just undereating because you feel full, it's better to eat something calorie-dense (could be something with good nutrients, like peanut butter, nuts or cheese . . . but even a treat food is fine if your nutrition is already close to where it needs to be).

Calories are the fuel that keeps your body going. You can eat somewhat fewer than you burn, to lose weight . . . but you need an adequate level for health, even while losing.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    You can start making a huge difference with swapping out that 2lt of pop with 2 lt of sugar-free pop.
    Eventually, you're going to have to stop having a bag of chips every day.

Examine yourself. Identify one of your worst food habits to eliminate. Just one. Eliminate it. After a couple of weeks of proving to yourself that you can survive without that one, pick another one. Keep going until you're left with stuff you can be proud of eating.