Portion of peanuts?

I just started (well restarted) here 4 days ago. For the first 2 weeks I'm just getting a handle on the reality of what I eat so that I can start from an honest position instead of trying to fool myself that 'actually I eat quite healthy'... Anyway, I was absolutely shocked when I logged what I thought was a biggish but not over the top portion of peanuts (100g) and got 628cals!!!!!! So, would you have thought 100g was a massively over the top portion of nuts? By the way, I had it with an apple and banana as a convenient lunch at my desk, otherwise I probably would have eaten a smaller portion, but still 628 cals :open_mouth:

Replies

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Nuts are generally high-cal. A serving is more like 1-2 oz (28-56g). I'll typically use them to garnish a salad, etc.
  • BumbyDog
    BumbyDog Posts: 70 Member
    Thanks. It's an eye opener for me. I won't be using them as a proper food substitute again! I could've had a good dinner for that lol!
  • Ssssss666666
    Ssssss666666 Posts: 560 Member
    So healthy but shockingly high in calories, what a pity 😔
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    I mean, some roasted peanuts thrown atop a stir-fry can be wonderful, but we're talking roughly 1/2-1tbsp per serving...
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I mean, some roasted peanuts thrown atop a stir-fry can be wonderful, but we're talking roughly 1/2-1tbsp per serving...

This is how I usually use peanuts -- as a garnish for a more filling dish. As a snack, the calories just add up too quickly for my personal preferences.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    yeah I remember early on i litterally threw OUT all my nuts i was so shocked and sad.

now i eat 16 grams of almonds for 90 calories (dry roasted, non salted). took me awhile to adjust to portion but now i`m all good with that.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Panini911 wrote: »
    yeah I remember early on i litterally threw OUT all my nuts i was so shocked and sad.

now i eat 16 grams of almonds for 90 calories (dry roasted, non salted). took me awhile to adjust to portion but now i`m all good with that.

This was me with granola. It was so shocking! :s
  • lin_be
    lin_be Posts: 393 Member
    Yea, it sucks! I weigh roasted and salted almonds on my scale and typically only eat .2 ounces at a time on oatmeal or with sautéed green beans.

You’ll never see peanuts at cocktail parties the same again! I avoid them at all costs.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    I usually have 30 grams of pistachios as my bedtime snack. 160 calories and worth every one.
  • BumbyDog
    BumbyDog Posts: 70 Member
    Thanks all. I'm looking forward to being equally shocked at other foods/portion sizes of foods that I love! Knowledge is power though
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    I was actually more disappointed with the protein content of nuts in general.