Dieting distress

Options
AnnaLoboda
AnnaLoboda Posts: 4 Member
edited January 2019 in Motivation and Support
I am in distress, somebody tell me how you cope with dieting. I would like to talk about the topic of how do you accept that your body holds everything you eat against you and you’ll have to limit yourself so much for the rest of your life? I am DISTRESSED to think that I’ll have to be on a diet for the rest of my life.
My situation is I’m 23, 5’9 and 202 pounds. I used to be addicted to coke and adderall and my body has went into starvation mode 3 times for a couple months each and now I gained 30 more pounds than I used to weigh and it’s been 6 months, why hasn’t the extra weight gone away? Why is it still there?
Also, people have accused me of body dismorphia. Is it really dismorphia if you’re actually overweight? My unhappiness is not pathological. How do you deal with people who criticize you when you have enough to suffer from? It’s already hard enough!
If I don’t exercise 5 days a week burning 600-700 calories each time I get upset like someone with OCD.
Part of it is because I’m 23 and I’m getting old. I already feel terrible about my age as it is.
Someone tell me how you cope please. How do you start accepting this is what your body is like now.

Replies

• cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Ok you have quite a lot in your original post. The pain is obvious and I agree some counselling might help you get it in perspective. The rest of it is easier to fix than you might think. BUT it takes time and patience. I suspect the Adderall had you humming along burning more calories than you do now. I just want to say congratulaltions on getting free of it! You need to readjust your eating habits now and although the first few weeks seem hard it gets alot easier over time. That is provided you don't try to lose all the extra weight overnight. As for the excessive exercising... exercise is great for health but not required for losing fat. It sounds like you are putting too much emphasis on that. I agree you should get some daily exercise but don't put such pressure on yourself. Find something you enjoy and let it be a stress reducer rather than a stress causer.

Age... I'm sorry I had to chuckle at you feeling old at 23. It's only that 23 was such a long time ago for me and frankly age is only a number. You are not old by anyone's measuring tape. You have a very long life ahead of you. Frankly I am younger now than I was 10 years ago just because I have improved my health so much. You can do the same.

Hang in there, find someone to talk to and start logging your food and eating at a SMALL deficit and you will feel much better in a few months.
  • AnnaLoboda
    AnnaLoboda Posts: 4 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    First of all, my BMI is overweight, not obese.
    And yeah, I get what you guys are saying, I am starting to learn about portioning and carb counting and stuff. Doing what I can to sound optimistic.