To all you beautiful successful people. Who are back their exercise calories??

Options
I lost 40lbs on mfp years ago and cannot remember if I ate back exercise calories.

I know I ate some on Tennis days when I burned 1,000 or more but on elliptical days when I burn 150-200 what’s a girl to do?

I’m also using my polar ft7 hr monitor which is accurate for calorie burned vs mfp which is very generous.

THANK YOU!

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,605 Member
    Options
    monmimi wrote: »
    I lost 40lbs on mfp years ago and cannot remember if I ate back exercise calories.
    I know I ate some on Tennis days when I burned 1,000 or more but on elliptical days when I burn 150-200 what’s a girl to do?
    I’m also using my polar ft7 hr monitor which is accurate for calorie burned vs mfp which is very generous.
    THANK YOU!

I found out that my Fitbit is considerably more accurate when I "religiously" log my food intake

We don't actually know whether MFP, your FT7, or Bob's iPhone is "accurate".

What we do know is that you can very easily eat a percentage of calories "spent" (say 100%) and compare your expected vs actual trending weight results over a time period of 6 to 8 weeks... and adjust based on how well this is actually working out for you!

That said, not eating back exercise calories creates a larger deficit. But what you actually want is a reasonable deficit that helps you achieve your goals!
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    I ate back 50%, but given that I fairly consistently lost more weight than I expected I should probably have eaten back more.

These days I eat back up to 100%, which works for me.
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I ate back every single calorie burned through exercise, lost and have maintained for 5 years. My exercise consists of walking, hiking and running with occasional swimming and biking and I use the iRunner app to track burns, it’s been extremely accurate for me.
  • TheFlyOnTheWall
    TheFlyOnTheWall Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    ceiswyn wrote: »
    I ate back 50%, but given that I fairly consistently lost more weight than I expected I should probably have eaten back more.

same here - now that I'm in maintenance, I'm experimenting and increasing from 50% to 60% right now - will see how that goes, and hopefully I will be able to end up eating 100% too! :)

• megemrj
    megemrj Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Every.Single.One
  • GemimaFitzTed
    GemimaFitzTed Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I have never eaten back my exercise calories and I think know that is one of the reasons why I failed so dismally with my weightloss in the past. I was way under the 1200 calorie mark and my mental health seriously suffered. I would give up at the 12 week mark.

This time around, I will firstly eat back 50% of my exercise calories and tweak accordingly. I need to change the way I look at eating back exercise calories - it's not wrong! I will always make sure my NET calories is 1600.
  • GemimaFitzTed
    GemimaFitzTed Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    So, for the first time in my MFP journey (and there has been a few!) I've eaten back exercise calories, albeit 50% of them.

And that chocolate was the most satisfying chocolate I have ever had....
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Eat them :smile: I ate them, needed them to fuel my workouts/activity - it didn't affect my weight loss.
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Because I use mfp exercise database to count mine I aim to eat back 50% of those earned - this is principally because I think the database estimates on the high side and I'm not prepared to purchase and wear a fitbit or other tracking device :) This approach has worked pretty well for me so far (57lbs lost). It also encourages me to move my ageing body more - exercise has been so beneficial to my mood/mobility etc etc but the biggest motivator is that I can 'afford' a treat if I've earned it.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,259 Member
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »
    Lost and maintained while eating all of mine. Made a nice difference in mood, adherence and fitness progression.

This. I almost always ate them all back. Well, I ate close to all of them. I figured that MFP overestimated, and since the exercise database is what I use, I was a little cautious...
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!