Snack foods for work

Options
TinManJoe
TinManJoe Posts: 29 Member
edited January 2019 in Food and Nutrition
I'm a teacher who keeps snacks in his desk (usually; I also have a minifridge where I store the lunches I bring from home and a big bottle'o'water so I can fill my cup without leaving the classroom). I try to keep them healthy when I can, but find that when I'm stressed, I overeat; this happens most when I have a large package of something that's open, like a can of nuts.

I'm looking for some good/quick/easy/healthy recommendations for "snack" foods that can both satisfy and keep me feeling full for more than an hour. I have no issue with prepackaged stuff, so long as it doesn't add up in cost. As a reference, here are a few things I've tried, with pros and cons for most:
  • Balanced Breaks: One of my favorites PRO: many of them have BOTH sweet AND salty in the package. CON: they're not really cheap.
  • CLIF Bars (and similar): PRO: tasty CON: generally pricey, high calorie, and the extra protein(, etc) don't feel necessary when I'm either sitting at a desk or walking around a classroom all day
  • Vegetables (baby carrots/celery/peppers/etc): I love fresh fruits and vegetables. PRO: healthy CON: they go bad a little more quickly (depending on what they are) and aren't filling
  • Fruits (apples/oranges/clementines/etc): Same as above. PRO: usually satisfies a sweet tooth (especially clementines) and tends to keep me feeling full longer CON: most fruits seem to go bad faster than even the veggies.
  • Nuts: I usually go for almonds, but occasionally mixed nuts. I tend to avoid any that have added salt. PRO: they usually help me feel full for a while CON: can be pricey, especially if not bought in large containers - and large containers, while convenient, make it easy for me to mindlessly binge-eat when I'm (for example) sitting down grading (or something)
  • Hardboiled Eggs: Haven't done this for a while, but they were always great for helping me feel full. PRO: super cheap, super easy to make and pack even a whole week's worth CON: they don't seem to keep very long, they start to smell within a day (horrible for my brand-spanking-new classroom/building), and I'm trying to lower my cholesterol so have been advised to avoid eating many of them.
  • Pumpkin Seeds: only listing these separately because I got a handful of 180-cal packets on $0.99 clearance last week. These have been among my favorites so far. PRO: satisfying and tasty CON: pretty dang salty, higher-calorie than I'd care for as a "snack," and it looks like they're usually pricey.
  • Popcorn: PRO: cheap and occasionally satisfying CON: flavorless without adding crap, have to make it more or less on-the-spot (which I can almost-never do) or else it goes stale
  • "Bike" Gels: I bought a big ol' box of these when I was training for bike races last year, and stopped using them unless I was actually at a race or a practice ride was over 30 miles or so. PRO: some are pretty tasty, only 100 calories, quick and easy to eat a single one and be done with it CON: not usually satisfying, can be expensive to buy a bunch to stock up on again, and some of them are really, really, really the opposite of what is tasty for my mouthhole

Can't remember anything else right now, but I'm sure you guys get the gist.

I have no problem going out and buying a bunch of "snack"-sized ziplocs (I actually already have a lot of them) and preparing snacks every week (I enjoy the whole process of meal planning and stuff) or so OR purchasing something that preferably comes in individual packaging and doesn't wind up being more than a few bucks for a ~week of small snacks (seems like an oxymoron, though).

Is there anything you all might recommend that has worked to help keep you full throughout the day/between meals?

Replies

• emmies_123
    emmies_123 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I tend to go for savory on my snacks, so lots of crackers or their ilk. I package mine out and only take one serving size to work each day to avoid over-doing it. I eat breakfast around 6:45am, snack between 10-10:30, lunch at noon. Following that schedule I have been sustained by one serving of crackers.

Particular brands I have enjoyed (all from Costco)

-Make Good granola minis: comes prepackaged, mixed jumbo bag of berry and choc chip servings. One serving is 90 for berry, 100 for chocolate

-Sweet potato crackers: serving size is 16, I normally eat 8 for snacktime. Forget the brand, they are small round wafers with grains and whatnot in them. I have to re-package these in serving size portions from the jumbo bag purchased. Serving is about 140-150 calories

-Snapea Crisps: forget serving size as it has been a month or so. I want to say around 22 per serving, i would eat 11 at snacktime each day. I think serving is around 150 for 22ish pieces, definitely want to weigh it out if your calorie budget is tight though as they are different sizes. High in sodium compared to other options, but tasty and they are peas =)

That is just what i have had recently, but I'm open to any crackers that are 150 or less per serving. I'm on a pure CICO "diet" model so I don't watch macros closely.
  • TinManJoe
    TinManJoe Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the recommendations. My Costco membership lapsed, but I've been thinking to get it again for meal planning now that I'm back into it.
  • emmies_123
    emmies_123 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I have seen the snapeas in other stores, we just like to buy in bulk at costco for the things we like.
  • tmoneyag99
    tmoneyag99 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    TinManJoe wrote: »
    • Nuts: I usually go for almonds, but occasionally mixed nuts. I tend to avoid any that have added salt. PRO: they usually help me feel full for a while CON: can be pricey, especially if not bought in large containers - and large containers, while convenient, make it easy for me to mindlessly binge-eat when I'm (for example) sitting down grading (or something)

My solution to this: I keep the package sealed and in a more difficult location (eg a locked drawer) and then when I am ready I use this Oxo jigger glassOXO Jigger glass and measure out my almonds into the bigger 1.5oz cup.

THEN I sit the almonds down in front of me and mindlessly eat from the cup. When they are gone... that's it for at least 1hr. Works with pistachios and peanuts as well. Candy too you know.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    You literally listed everything I bring for snacks... except my beloved Quaker Sweet & Spicy Chili rice crisps. Pro: yum + crunch, Con: all the nutritional value of a cardboard box. I also love pb filled pretzels, but I have to portion them out. If you have the little baggies, I'd get out a food scale and portion out the mixed nuts (or whatever else is too tempting to eat from a huge bag). I literally count out my pb pretzels so that I only get the one portion serving. Other than that, baby carrots with light Laughing Cow cheese is a close second, and hb eggs-I eat 3 a day, but don't have cholesterol issues. It sounds like you are on your game, just looking for more variety.
  • anyWendy
    anyWendy Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Any dairy issues? I do Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, light string cheese... all of these can be pretty good protein sources, but if you're not focused on protein, and find fat more satiating, maybe do the higher fat versions. All are available in single serving sizes. my yogurt is 80 cal, cottage cheese 90 cal, strong cheese 50 cal, and I bring 2, so 100 cal. All with 10-12g protein, too, which helps me stay full.

With fresh vegetables/fruit, I like bringing the individual packs of guacamole or peanut butter to go with it. Could also do your favorite dressing/dip, preportioned out.
  • toque88
    toque88 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I portion out almonds into snack size cups - the ones that come with the lids. You can get them from Wal-Mart. My favorite this month are the dill pickle flavored almonds. I typically eat a few throughout the day. When the little cup is empty, I am done!