Dumbbell routine problem..

Step ups. As I increase weight, I find that my ability/strength to hold on to the dumbbells goes before my leg strength does. What to do? I'm up to 50 lbs each hand, stepping up onto a milk crate.

Replies

• jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Straps
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    100 lb barbell on the shoulders.
  • beatyfamily1
    beatyfamily1 Posts: 257 Member
    edited January 2019
    Strengthen your forearms. Strengthening your grip will also improve your ability to lift heavier on other exercises. Try farmer carries. I do them with normal weight cinder blocks (~35 pounds each) for 40 seconds move and 30 seconds rest for a total of 10 intervals.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Use lifting straps.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Increase the size of your step-up with a purchased or home-built wooden box with a 16", 18" or 20" option.

And/or increase to 55 or 60 lb DBs and clean them to your shoulder.

Either of those should keep you busy for a bit longer.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    MDC2957 wrote: »
    Ohhh, and do the step ups holding them up like that? Hmmm

Yep, it keeps all the weight on your legs...and if you increase the size of the step, it can introduce you to a whole new world of misery. (I am obviously not the biggest step-up fan).
  • dulinh
    dulinh Posts: 99 Member
    I had the same issue - I had some luck increasing the weight and decreasing the amount of reps...
  • alexmose
    alexmose Posts: 792 Member
    Lunge jumps. Killers.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Another vote for straps...properly used, you can get a better feel using the intended/emphasized muscles (back vs. biceps).
    Excessive use & you start getting lacking forearm & grip strength (why some reserve strap use for later/final sets for say deadlifting...some appropriate grip/forearm strength is good)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    Straps.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • jesspen91
    jesspen91 Posts: 1,383 Member
    I would increase the height of the step and use the same dumbbells.
  • mike_bold
    mike_bold Posts: 140 Member
    Have you tried a hook grip? As others have suggested, straps, but then you are not working your grip strength as much.