Anyone get itchy skin as they drop weight?

I'm almost at a 20 lb loss in 2 months and my chest especially is getting itchy. Just curious if anyone else has experienced this. Most of my exercise is pool exercise.

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    I don't know what type of itch you are talking about, but when I lost weight too fast in the past I remember my stretch marks feeling weird and kind of itchy because the skin was trying to adapt. Maybe that's what you're experiencing? If not, if it's a dermatitis type of itch, then it might be unrelated and you may need to get that checked. You may be reacting to chlorine or something in the pool.
  • ShayCarver89
    ShayCarver89 Posts: 239 Member
    My skins not any more itchy, but its become SOOOO dry since I've lost weight. I've lost 39 pounds. My legs are so bad no amount of lotion does anything. I can't even wear makeup anymore because it just looks like scales. I hope its just the winter but its never been this bad.
  • knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    yes! my stomach, where i have most to lose, constantly itches. and seems drier but not sure if that's bc of winter. someone do a study on this and report your findings in easy to read and understand terminology for me.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    It's probably the chlorine in the pool and your swimsuit. I use anti-chlorine body wash and suit rinse. Several brands are available on Amazon.. TriSwim, ion, and ultraswim for starters. You might also benefit fro usi g a good lotion after being in the pool.
  • IsETHome
    IsETHome Posts: 386 Member
    Thanks everyone. I may need to plus up water and will look into washes.
  • brookielaw
    brookielaw Posts: 814 Member
    My guess is it's pool-related. I used to swim 3-5 miles a week and along with any anti-chlorine measures for my suit and hair after a swim, I always made sure to wet down my hair, suit, and body before getting in the pool, then shower after. I am being a bit of a hypocrite but I'd also recommend a good, unscented moisturizing lotion after the post-swim shower as well. I frequently forget that part.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Maybe supplement magnesium. Is your fat intake sufficient?
  • IsETHome
    I think so, but I'll review that possibility. I had switched Vit B from Gummies to Regular pills, plus using soap at the gym, so I reverted back to both, I think it has eased up a little. After it reduces further, I will switch the B back and see if it happens again. Its possible the gym soap has something in it that topically I was allergic to.
  • megacycling
    megacycling Posts: 2 Member
    My advice.. reason you mightvitchbis you dont have enough good oils in uour skin. Go buy Manitoba Harvest HEMP oil from sprouts or wholefoods and take 1 tablespoon a day-eat it- or put in smoothie and after 2 weeks your skin will not itch and feel soft👍
  • Kiyomoo
    Kiyomoo Posts: 354 Member
    I've lost over 40 pounds and haven't experienced any itchiness. Sounds kind of weird to me.
  • IsETHome
    My advice.. reason you mightvitchbis you dont have enough good oils in uour skin. Go buy Manitoba Harvest HEMP oil from sprouts or wholefoods and take 1 tablespoon a day-eat it- or put in smoothie and after 2 weeks your skin will not itch and feel soft👍

That's probably accurate, however due to my work, I can't use hemp products. But I do think its probably a combination of reasons, maybe some other oils I should use on a regular basis.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I don't think it's weight loss related. It's likely the chlorine and/or a combination of that and it being winter and heaters blowing, etc.
  • amanda_qed
    amanda_qed Posts: 4 Member
    My skins not any more itchy, but its become SOOOO dry since I've lost weight. I've lost 39 pounds. My legs are so bad no amount of lotion does anything. I can't even wear makeup anymore because it just looks like scales. I hope its just the winter but its never been this bad.

I had the same problem. Try taking a biotin supplement; it made all the scaliness disappear.
  • 39flavours
    39flavours Posts: 1,494 Member
    Yeah my skin itches when I gain and lose weight, especially on thighs and breasts. It's the skin adapting, try cocoa butter or bio oil.