5:2 diet - Does it work?

Options
Rachael_789
Rachael_789 Posts: 93 Member
edited January 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
Hey,

Someone told me about the 5:2 diet today, never heard of it before. So now am curious!

Is anyone currently doing the diet or have done in the past?
Did it work for you?
Feel free to share your experience good or bad 😃 would love to hear them.

Replies

• zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    Did it for a while in my active weight loss phase and enjoyed it, I was transitioning off of ADF at the time though, so I was already used to the eating pattern. I lost weight with it no problem, don't have anything bad to say about it :)
  • Rachael_789
    Rachael_789 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Aww that’s great. Well done on the weight loss ⭐️
    How did you find your engergy levels fasting if you don’t mind me asking?
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    Aww that’s great. Well done on the weight loss ⭐️
    How did you find your engergy levels fasting if you don’t mind me asking?

The first two weeks/cycles is a bit rough (pre-planning your low calorie 'fasting' days is crucial and do NOT go grocery shopping on those days, trust me on this one :p ), but after that energy levels were normal and sometimes I'd get bursts of hyper energy (like suddenly wanting to clean my entire house crazy lol). This was a common phenomenon among the group of IF'ers that I hung out with but we didn't know why it was happening. It didn't happen every fasting day, maybe 1-2 a month.
  • rikkejohnsenrij
    rikkejohnsenrij Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I've done it for a while now and really like it. It's not magic but it helps me manage my calories so I can reach my goal
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I think it really depends on you. Your energy levels will not be the same as other people on fasting days. Things like work and life stress may make those fasting days even harder. Remember that if you try it that if it makes you miserable for 2 days it will likely not be worth it.

Also remember that you can just as easily gain weight with this particular protocol. You have to maintain an energy deficit over the course of a week to lose weight.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine does it and loves it. She had only vanity weight to lose, and started doing it counting only on the 2 500 cal days, and eating what she normally did on other days and lost about 10 lbs (what she wanted to lose) and then started maintaining. She still does it because for her it means she can not count calories on the other days and maintain.

It doesn't seem appealing to me so I've not tried it, but it definitely works for some.
  • j010219
    j010219 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Depends on how you feel. For me, doesn't work because I feel miserable on days of fasting; I eat like there's no tomorrow on days that I can eat because I'm so ravenous, etc. It also disturbed my sleeping patterns and my hormones were out of whack, I started having acne again!

Any diet works if you are successful at creating a calorie deficit - the method of creating a deficit that you choose depends on your preference and ability to stick with it for the long term.
  • n_green_l
    n_green_l Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Try it and see how you go.

I hated it personally and found I was wishing away 2 days of my week every week because I was hungry and became obsessed with food. I couldn't live like that anymore so ended up going back to calorie counting.

It's all about finding what works for you, my friend on the other hand has lost a lot and loves it so give it a go!
  • smcurtis1981
    smcurtis1981 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I've done it in the past and liked it, it helped me lose a couple of stubborn kilos that my calorie counting wasnt. The fasting days were hard for me I had to just tough it out. I liked to go the whole day with no food and eat the whole 500cal at dinner.
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 979 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I tried it, but it didn't work for me. I couldn't cope with the "2" days.

However, my mum has been doing it on and off for the last couple of years and really enjoys it as a weight loss method. She doesn't calorie count much on her "5" days, but on the "2" days she's super strict. She says she likes it because she's able to work around events where she knows she's going to be eating over. For context my mum generally she does 5:2 for a few months, and gets to a point where she is happy with her weight and then eats at maintenance. Then gets weight creep (due to holidays, christmas time, the fact she doesn't log etc) and then gets back onto the diet.

Personally I love it as a concept and would really have liked to have been able to stick with it, but it's not for me.
  • kevcargill
    kevcargill Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Can’t help noticing that not a single contributor here has mentioned the main reason for the 5:2 diet. It wasn’t designed for weight loss, it was as a result of research into the body’s reaction to fasting which showed that fasting was a catalyst to the brain to send out endorphins and other chemicals which help to repair physical muscle damage, joint problems etc. Weight loss was a significant beneficial side effect. Which means that sticking to it gives you many more additional benefits than other types of dieting alone. Even brain power was markedly increased after several months regular fasting.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    kevcargill wrote: »
    Can’t help noticing that not a single contributor here has mentioned the main reason for the 5:2 diet. It wasn’t designed for weight loss, it was as a result of research into the body’s reaction to fasting which showed that fasting was a catalyst to the brain to send out endorphins and other chemicals which help to repair physical muscle damage, joint problems etc. Weight loss was a significant beneficial side effect. Which means that sticking to it gives you many more additional benefits than other types of dieting alone. Even brain power was markedly increased after several months regular fasting.

There are many ways to get endorphins :smiley: