Anyone actually losing weight on Keto?

Options
I have been doing the Keto diet for 2 weeks now. In my first 10 days I went from 203lbs to 193lbs. I figured it was just water weight. I made the mistake of weighing my self this morning and I’m 195lbs. I told myself I would only weigh myself every Saturday. I know my weight will fluctuate from day to day but I’m just looking for reassurance that if I stick with this diet that I will lose weight. I have been doing a great job of keeping my daily net carbs under 20 and I pretty much only eat at home or pack my lunch. I started working out twice a week and have incorporated weights too as well. Anyone have any success with the keto diet? How long did it take? Do you have any tips?

Replies

• bcgirl1963
    bcgirl1963 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I only started Keto January 7. I haven't weighed myself yet, but will do so this weekend. I feel lighter, less bloated and generally feel good.
  • chris02jaliyah
    chris02jaliyah Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I’ll make sure to keep my menstral cycle in mind. I’ll avoid weighing myself during this time to avoid discouragement.

bcgirl1963 good luck on the Keto diet. It’s easier to follow than I thought it would be.
  • willmedveal
    willmedveal Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I successfully lost 30 lbs on the Keto diet last March after an injury that resulted in me packing on some extra weight (broken leg). I gained it back after a vacation and getting back in to bad habits like dirty eating and avoiding the gym. It's been a week so far back on the diet and gym plan and I'm down 6 lbs so yes it works. I would advise from experience not to count net carbs, rather just count the whole number. Keep your carb intake under 30g per day maximum. My goal is 25g carb daily with the macro ratio at 5% carb, 20% protein and 75% fat. This app will make it easy to track that. Also a good idea to increase water intake, sodium, magnesium and potassium as well while on Keto. Fiber if you get constipation too. I get mine from the spinach naturally and haven't had any trouble. Best of luck.
  • leiflung
    leiflung Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I started mine back up on Dec 30th. I've lost 7lbs since then. It may not seem like much but it's vanity weight. I started with a normal BMI. So I'm pretty pleased.

If you aren't losing weight, you're eating too much. You still have to track calories and stay under your TDEE. If you're doing that, you'll lose. If keto isn't making it easier for you to do that than it would be for you on carbs, that means keto isn't right for you.

If you are staying under TDEE, the issue is either that your calculated TDEE is wrong or that you aren't counting calories correctly. If this continues to be an issue, adjusting either should work. It's too soon to tell right now, though. Weight fluctuates a fair amount. Give it some more time.
  • jodipirelli
    jodipirelli Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Not me
  • pandaz103
    pandaz103 Posts: 1 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    jcolb20 wrote: »
    I’ve lost 18 pounds on keto in about 3 1/2 weeks. I’ve been counting macros and calories and getting more active since the beginning. I feel great and my husband says I don’t snore anymore. Love it!
    That is great. How long did I take for you to be in Ketosis? Did you follow a specific diet plan?
  • debwhite66
    debwhite66 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi, , female 52 years young, start weight was 86.6 kgs, lost 5 Kgs on healthy low fat, no sugar diet with plenty of exercise in 14 days then switched to strict keto a week ago, weight loss slowed significantly, but was told to expect that as body takes a while to get into full Keto, so have lost about 1Kg so far on it, but am getting head aches and major loss of energy compared to previous diet, will give it another week or so to see if my body adjusts and will update you all.
  • Tubbytucka
    Tubbytucka Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Yes, I lost around 25lb in 3 months but a month at home with family meant I stopped that WOE, and gained about 10lb. I am back on the Keto WOE again - everything you read about weightloss will tell you it's not linear and weight fluctuates. Count calories, be strict (cheating WILL lead to weight gain) and the science will work.
  • xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    KETO went well for me until the extra dairy started to cause me issues. I'm now dairy free and getting my fat from other sources...
  • aimes3747
    aimes3747 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I tried keto for about 1 month with no weight loss. Switched to calorie counting and dropped 4 pounds. I still watch the amount of carbs but i felt too deprived on keto even though i was really strict.
  • vivmiller08
    vivmiller08 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Keep going - believe in yourself and keto will be great for you! I've dropped 2 stones in 5 months (2 stone to go). I recommend not weighing too frequently - used to get me down so now weighing every fortnight. Tips: mushrooms as part of nearly every meal (no carb and filling); flaxseed (linseed) bread for when craving a sandwich. Lastly drink water like you're a fish! Good luck x
  • Scorpio8402
    Scorpio8402 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Yes. I'm down 20.4 pounds since starting keto December 3rd and having a break for Christmas.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    1. Don't look at a gain from 1 week to the next as a gain. It may or may not be, but it isn't possible to tell that. Wait 4-6 weeks for a trend.
    2. If you are, in fact, gaining: eat less. If you are eating keto, then eat less fat if you want to lose.
  • rashadlc
    rashadlc Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Yes, keto has been amazing. You'll typically lose a lot of water weight in the beginning. Then you'll lose the inches of body fat at a slower but steady rate. I've been on it for a total of 6 months. I had to really study to make sure I'm doing it correctly. My meals are typically 7-10 cups of veggies with a protein and plenty of fat from either coconut oil or butter. I try t make my meals simple as possible.
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I have been doing the Keto diet for 2 weeks now. In my first 10 days I went from 203lbs to 193lbs. I figured it was just water weight. I made the mistake of weighing my self this morning and I’m 195lbs. I told myself I would only weigh myself every Saturday. I know my weight will fluctuate from day to day but I’m just looking for reassurance that if I stick with this diet that I will lose weight. I have been doing a great job of keeping my daily net carbs under 20 and I pretty much only eat at home or pack my lunch. I started working out twice a week and have incorporated weights too as well. Anyone have any success with the keto diet? How long did it take? Do you have any tips?

2 weeks into a diet is way too soon to see results. My weight fluctuates daily. Here. Take a look at what my 6 months trend Line looks like: see a fast steady drop the first two months, then the next two months up and down and up and down , still trending down but MUCH more slowly and erraticallly.

It’s the trend DOWN that I care about. It took time to gain weight, ti will take time to lose it AND time to change my habits for the long term.

Patience, and stick to it. We’ve all beeen there. You can do it.
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    vyj74yaxlqz4.png

Cont’d from above - I am convinced it does not matter as much what you eat as how much in calories.

Keto, pescatarian, omnivore, vegetarian.

Calories in, calories out
    Good luck!