Anyone tried nutrisystem before?

Options
I want to know if this promotiom to lose weight is real before i spend around $300 for it for 4 weeks.
What should i expect?
How was your experiences?

Replies

• lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I never tried the plan but I did try a couple of meals. I personally thought the food was pretty bad tasting along with small servings.
  • jessetfan
    jessetfan Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I tried it, but I didn't love it. You have to supplement with fresh fruit, vegetables, dairy, and grain, along with maybe some protein, so you need to be prepared for the additional grocery bill. The food isn't that great (I tried before they did the frozen stuff, so it may have gotten better), you also have to be prepared for some substitutions (I don't eat seafood, so I was less than pleased to find tuna in my box). I think you can lose weight on your own eating whatever you want as long as you control your portions. You'll know what healthy portion sizes look like at the end, and it will save you money. I can't imagine trying to transition from losing weight on pre-portioned meals to cooking my own meals all at once.
  • Taz6o5
    Taz6o5 Posts: 3,441 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Unless you are planning on eating there food for the rest of your life then go for it .
    If not then save your money and buy real food .
  • KStew1209
    KStew1209 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I did nutrisystem for about 3 months last year and lost close to 20 lbs. At the time I was working long hours, so nutrisystem really helped in not having to worry about every meal, but still lost about 1.5 to 2 lbs per week. Like everyone else has said above, there is some sacrifice with taste and eating outside your house/work. After going off their system, my weight stayed stable for a while with watching my portion size. However, I did gain some weight after our son was born who had some medical issues that required several doctor appointments, which meant eating out quite a bit.

If you're a Costco member, they have gift cards that you can buy for $80 that are worth $100 for nutrisystem purchases. You can buy as many as you like, which means you can save $20 for every $100 spent on nutrisystem. In other words, for the $300 you're looking to spend you could save $60. Sometimes the gift cards from Costco will go on sale, so just look for those periodic sales if you want to stock up on the gift cards.

Good luck!
  • jmarie2105
    jmarie2105 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I tried it, but it wasn't for me. I didn't like some of the food, the portions were small, you have to add your own food, so it's very pricey, and it left me bloated and feeling icky.
  • yweight2020
    yweight2020 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Save your momey!

I got a refund from nutrisystem after I received what for a lack of better words was supposed to be food, but it was totally gross they make replacements you don't ask for or don't eat, you still need to supplement with fresh vegetables and fruit and dairy.

You can make your own healthy meals by meals prepping, if you wqnt pre cooked good meals and save lots of money this way.

I tried jenny craig about 15 years ago the food was actually decent, but I couldn't keep up with it because it was to exspensive for my budget. Although I did lose a little weight.

The majority and biggest weight loss using sparkpeople.com 60 lbs and cooking healtjy for myself. And Ive lost 30 plus lbs using myfitness pal and cooking for myself .

Even if your not into big cooking, thats ok you can keep it simple and it will still ne good and healthy. Best of care to you.
  • margbarco
    margbarco Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    My cousin’s husband had me try a meal years ago (before I understood how calories in/out actually work)... yuck!! This particular meal came dehydrated and I had to reconstitute it with hot water - it tasted awful.
  • orazia
    orazia Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I rapidly lost nearly 40 pounds on Nutrisystem. I lost MORE than the advertised "up to" pounds in both the first and second month. People who saw me didn't recognize me. I went from a size 16 to a size 10 in five months. I hadn't been a size 10 since college.

Some of the food is terrible. Don't get the lasagna or the tortellini. Some of the breakfast bars are laughably small. The best foods for breakfast are frozen cinnamon roll, chocolate muffin, and the baked cinnamon bar. Actually, most of the breakfast foods are good but just really tiny. The black beans and rice is ugly but tastes delicious. I could eat that every day for life. The dinner is repetitive for a vegetarian like me. It's just pizza and pasta over and over. The margarita pizza is great, but it's small.

The program requires you to add your veggies and two healthy snacks per day (100-150 calories and at least 5 grams of protein). Even having to add your veggies, it's really convenient. The system worked for me because I didn't have to think about meal planning. I was working 2 jobs and super busy. Instead of getting busy, tired, and ordering terribly unhealthy delivery on my busy days, I ate what Nutrisystem told me to eat. That's why it works.

I have been gradually gaining the weight back over the last four years. I have been powerless to get back in control of it. I just started back a few days ago, and I've already lost 5 pounds. Yes, it's expensive, but you know what else is expensive? Plus size clothing. Getting diabetes. Weight loss surgery. Etc. Etc.

If you need a simple plan that works (and if you aren't going to cheat), it's well worth the money.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,986 Member
    Options
    Im sure it will work if you stick with it - as, of course, would absolutely any way of eating the created a calorie deficit.

I get that prescribed diets are convenient for some people - likewise pre packaged meals.

They always seem to me to be a very expensive way of doing that though - but I guess value for money is subjective.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    Heck no!!!! Any "weight loss" system that requires you to dump money into it is a joke. They're capitalizing on peoples desperation. Weight loss should be a lifestyle change not built on the backbone of diet pills or weight loss shakes or frozen meals. You need to completely relearn everything you know about your food and about your body in a realistic, and sustainable way. That is just a waste of money. Just throwing it away. $300 buys a lot of groceries. A lot of fresh fruits and veggies. A lot of chocolate. A lot of date nights. I'm 1.2 pounds from my goal weight and can tell you what's made me successful is throwing myself out in the real world.

THIS!
    I know someone who lost 100 lbs. on Nutrisystem, for her wedding, got married and gained it all back. As someone else said, unless you plan to use it the rest of your life, don't waste your $$$. As this post says think of all the stuff you can buy with that money! My 1st thought was putting it towards real food and exercise equipment, or starting a goal to fund a trip. :) Keep reading people's advice on how they've lost and maintained weight, find something(else) that works for you and save your hard-earned $$$. It takes work and effort and it's not an easy fix. Good luck!!!