How accurate are the treadmill calorie counters

Options
How accurate are the treadmill calorie counters on the treadmill. I want to make sure that I am burning at least 500 calories a day to lose 1 pound a week. If someone could please help me, I would greatly appreciate it.

Replies

• pegster57
    Options
    Does it ask your weight? If so, it's pretty accurate.
  • lmaharj
    lmaharj Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    If it regularly tracks your heart rate, it'll be a bit more accurate AND if you put in your weight, age, e tc. It might be off by a couple of calories. Nothing, minus a HRM, is going to be exact.
  • dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I find that mine underestimates by about 20-40 calories. I was pretty surprised at how close it was. I use it with an HRM to pretty much double check everything. :)
  • RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    My suggestion..get an HRM. Most machines aren't calibrated correctly no matter how nice the gym is. The HRM is def more accurate way to go. I have found that I am burning more than the machine says.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Even if it takes your weight, it isn't accurate. Use a heart rate monitor with a chest strap to get your best calorie count.

My experience is that the fitter I am, the fewer calories I burn for the same activity at the same level. Therefore, you can weigh 130 and be fit or weigh 130 and not be fit (or not be used to an exercise). Based on weight alone, the treadmill would give you the exact same calories, but might actually be low or high by up to 200 calories.
  • lazyspice
    lazyspice Posts: 8,515 Member
    Options
    Mine is only a basic one and gives a calorie count of 120 calories per mile, regardless of speed, incline, weight etc! I go by the readings on my pedometer instead as it's got my weight and step length set on it.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Their actually not that accurate.. one of the trainers at my gym told me that they can be off by 30% or more.

Like everyone else said, look into an HRM... Polar FT4 or Ft7 should work just fine if your looking to mainly count calories.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Not accurate at all, in my experience. I use a BodyBugg to measure my calorie burn, and the treadmill and elliptical both say I burn far more than I actually do.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    Mine always says DOUBLE what my HRM says.
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    The ones at my gym is NOT accurate at all. It would say like 210 calories where my HRM would say about 100.