Cleaning and exercise

This might be a dumb question so if it is I am terribly sorry. I was wondering how accurate the "cleaning" cardio workout is according to my daily cleaning routine. Almost everyday I will make beds, do laundry (folding, carrying, etc.), wash dishes, as well as just waking around the house getting things done. My OCD routine lasts for about an hour everyday. I don't have a fitness watch or anything to physically track the "workout" but I was wondering what you guys think? According to MFP, an hour of light cleaning burns about 200 something calories. So do you think my hour of cleaning as described above is actually burning that much? Again I know nothing about fitness and am new to all of this. I am just wondering is tracking my everyday hour of cleaning is worth it. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Seconding @cmriverside.

Your activity level includes regular activities like housework, cooking, shopping, job, etc.

If you are losing more than predicted, over a 4-6 week period, up your activity level.

Cheers, h.
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    It's part of your daily routine already, so it's accounted for in your daily totals already. I don't track it anymore, but when I used to, it was only on days where I'd do like a major deep-clean (think, Spring cleaning, top to bottom) when I'd spend 6-8 hours hard cleaning.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    its part of your daily activity level.

if your home is so disgusting it could be considered a workout, theres a much larger issue at hand LOL

i dont count cleaning, gardening, yard work or moving. any additional burn is just a nice little buffer.

i used to have one friend on here who counted making dinner as a workout. rolled my eyes every time i saw it...
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    I wear a Fitbit and it counts all that good stuff in a day.