What to buy: Letscom vs. Fitbit Fitness Tracker

akafful
akafful Posts: 64 Member
edited January 2019 in Fitness and Exercise
Hey guys, I was thinking of getting a Fitbit for my Mom, but as I was looking on Amazon, I found Letscom Trackers they are less than $40 but I saw that for the most part they are well-received. So I’m a bit conflicted, I wanted to buy the Fitbit b/c of its solid reputation, universal compatibility with most apps and since I currently own a Versa. But the Letscom is a little more budget friendly.

To anybody who has had experience with these 2 devices. Let me know in the comments section.

Replies

• Jbley75
    Jbley75 Posts: 42 Member
    I have a fitbit and I really like it! It keeps me on track every day!
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Never heard of Letscom
  • Chazown
    Chazown Posts: 1 Member
    Polar A370. Easy to use, water proof for swimming / shower. Heart rate and steps. Great app integrations. Budget friendly.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Fitbit solid reputation? Of dying after a year?

I've never heard of the other one. Probably Fitbit's biggest strength is the social aspect of their system. Like competitions. Should she use that stuff?
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    you can find 100 cheap fitness trackers. how well do they work? no clue. ive always had a fitbit and especially the new ones (for me) i find very accurate
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    I like my Fitbit for the social aspect. Several of my friends have them and it encourages me to do more due to the social connection. My mom has a Walmart fitness tracker that she really likes. Sometimes I think she wishes she could connect with friends (and me) on the Fitbit platform. But her device is encouraging her to walk more in her retirement community which is good. And her cheaper device also checks her blood pressure somehow. I think that’s kinda cool. I have the Fitbit Flex 2 which is one of the cheaper models.
  • akafful

Not at all, its reputation as the most highly demanded brand of fitness trackers. Ask anyone in the fitness world and I would guarantee that 9/10 knows what a Fitbit is.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    I can only comment on the Fitbit. I didn't like how often I had to take it off to charge. I was forever forgetting to put it back on and losing data! I wear a Garmin now, which requires a watch battery that typically lasts 1+ years. I never have to take my Garmin off, which I appreciate. I wear the inexpensive Vivosmart, which is really all I need. I've also helped several people with little to no tech knowledge successfully implement the Vivosmart/smartphone into their lives, as it it very user-friendly IMO.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    akafful wrote: »

Not at all, its reputation as the most highly demanded brand of fitness trackers. Ask anyone in the fitness world and I would guarantee that 9/10 knows what a Fitbit is.

Fitbit is actually lacking in regards to being a fitness tracker...it's fine as an all day wearable step counter and general activity tracker....yes, you can track exercises, but the data you get is very limited. Most people I know who are very into fitness will have of course heard of a Fitbit...but most of them use Garmin products to track their fitness.

I wear a Fitbit Charge II to count steps and remind me to get up and move a little when I'm at the office and I will log my exercise into it so it shows up on my dashboard...but all it really tells me is that I did something. I use my Garmin bike computer to actually track my rides and it provides me with substantially more data.

In regards to your OP...I've never heard of Letscom...so I personally wouldn't go there. I haven't had any problems with my Fitbit, but they do have a bit of a reputation for going out after a year or so...from what I understand, their customer service is pretty good though.
  • NorthCascades

So most people in the food world have heard of e coli, but that doesn't mean there's a demand for tainted lettuce. I'm not trying win the internet here, just saying people have heard of it only goes so far. If you read this forum for a while, there have been hundreds of threads about Fitbit units dying, almost always after a bit of a year. Their customer service is reputed to be friendly and easy to work with. They replaced mine twice. But this is very much part of their reputation.

I just re-read your OP. Since you have a Fitbit yourself, that's what you should get your mother. You'll be able to challenge each other. The best thing about Fitbit is their social platform and the way it can motivate people, and you both having one means you can take advantage of that.
  • akafful
    So to everyone reading this, I just got the Flex 2 for my mother. Until the Alta 2 HR drops in price, I’m going to stick with it. She likes it so far, so that counts for something right? hehe

As for the Letscom, I’m not sure if I’m going to get that in the near future but it might work for others.
  • akafful

So most people in the food world have heard of e coli, but that doesn't mean there's a demand for tainted lettuce.

Okay, I deserve that, it wasn’t a good argument for this sake. I’m only speaking for others including myself who have either wanted a Fitbit and are Fitbit users who still enjoy their products. Not for those who simply heard about it, but just say have not or or will not buy one.
  • NorthCascades
    Glad to hear you got something, and that she enjoys it! :smile:
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Yay! Good choice. Any trouble with the Fitbit be sure to contact their customer service dept even if outside of warranty. I’ve found them very good at replacing devices FOC.