When to weight yourself?

Options
It hard to lose weight but I am not give up! I go 200 to 199 when I go 203 in 5 days! How many times do you weight yourself in one week? Or do something else? And it best time to it?

Replies

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    The best time is the same time each time. In other words, if you weigh yourself right when you get up, that's the time you should (as much as possible) always weigh yourself. If it's right before bed, same.

I weigh myself daily, but the only time that "counts" is Sunday morning, first thing after using the washroom.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    That really depends on the individual. I like to keep track of fluctuations and see the impact of having something extra salty, TOM, intense workouts, not-so-intense workouts etc.
  • GemimaFitzTed
    GemimaFitzTed Posts: 260 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    First thing in the morning after the toilet and before my shower. I weigh myself everyday. I am now trying to make a habit of logging my weight everyday so I can see trends. I know that my weight will increase at TOM (up to 2.5kg) for about 2 weeks, but it should be a downward trend, nevertheless. I just need to note when I have intense workouts, extra salty meals etc so I don't freak out!
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily, “same Bat time, same “Bat channel.” I’m an analytical dude and like the data. Do what matches who you are for best results.

For me, those occasional northerly hiccups in the weight readings are strong motivators to tackle my day with intensity. So far, so good.

Your mileage may vary.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    my weight fluctuates within about a 5 pound range on any given day. I weigh myself officially once a week and log it whether it is a loss or a gain. most days i do step on the scale, but pretty much forget the number as soon as i step off. if its not my official 'weigh' day, im just not concerned about it and remembering it isnt important.

For those who have a hard time dealing with those very normal fluctuations, weighing less frequently is usually a good idea. once or twice a month. hide the scale under a cabinet for the rest of the time so youre not tempted to step on it.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    First thing in the morning pretty much anytime it is convenient to, usually 4 or 4 times a week. i see ups and downs and know I am somewhere between. There are trending apps that tell you almost exactly. My usual swings are small enough that I don't bother. If you weigh infrequently, you don't know if you are catching spikes or not. you could lose a pound in a week and get a higher weight at the end of the week than at the beginning. Weighing infrequently and not seeing the bounces can be discouraging when you have the misfortune of seeing a low weight one time and a spike the next. If i were going to weigh infrequently, I would go with really infrequently, like monthly, while losing. I am in maintenance, which makes me want to weigh more frequently to see bounces in the same range, because I want to react to small gains.
  • stevee303
    stevee303 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning and use Libra to record it. It has been a huge help this time around in seeing that my weight often goes up as well as down, but overall is heading in the right direction.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily, first thing in the morning, after using the restroom, naked. Always on the same scale in the same place (on a level tile floor in my bathroom). And I record it in Happy Scale to see the trends and moving averages.

I do not sync it with mfp, but rather manually record it in mfp sporadically--sometimes weekly, sometimes monthly...
  • KristaMac88
    KristaMac88 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    What everyyone else said. I use to do it daily..sometimes still will. Have also taken measurements and every once in a while will re measure to see if anythings changed. Which it hasnt so far aha scale has only gone down 2lbs but I try and weigh in monday a.m to see what damage my not so strick sat or sunday has caused. Then again on sat a.m after trying to do good all week and get to the gym a few times. and thats the one i log.
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I have an online check in with my trainer on sundays and that's usually the time I weigh.
  • tmoneyag99
    tmoneyag99 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    No more than 1x a week. In the mean time focus on what you can control. You cannot actually control your weight. You can only control the things that effect your weight.
  • stricklee11
    stricklee11 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself once a week on Wednesdays at 7:30.
  • dochtang
    dochtang Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone here about weighing everyday at the same time of day. It helps me with trends over a few days or weeks, even months and years.

The best bet for people like me who don't want to consistently write it down is to buy a scale that comes with an app to keep track of it for you. I was able to buy one for $15 and it's been amazing.
  • NewHealthyBug
    NewHealthyBug Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Now I am going to figure out what will work for me. thank you everyone!
  • ShayCarver89
    ShayCarver89 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day. I've learned to emotionally prepare myself for the possibility that the scale might go up. Even if I did everything perfect. Its normal for weight to fluctuate and definitely something everyone has to get use to even when you hit your gw.