Pleurisy

Options
I know this isn’t about losing weight, but I have been struggling with pleurisy for 3 weeks now and unable to work out , so I’m wondering if any of you have had pleurisy and if so how long did it take to go away or what can you do to help ?

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    i dealt with it a few weeks back - honestly i didn't feel up to working out for close to a month - i was on pretty heavy painkillers for 2 weeks and then just plain exhausted - take your time and recover properly
  • YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I had it last year at this time. It lasted for over a month, and I was on painkillers at night for over 2 weeks. Just allow your body to recover. You don't want to do anything to continue to irritate the pleural lining.
  • merekins
    merekins Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Yes, and it was awful. Had it with flu and it took a good month to get to a point where I wasn’t going to sleep as soon as I got home from work. There was no working out. Hope you feel better soon and much sympathy. It’s rough stuff.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    I had it as a kid ... it was at least a month for initial recovery and I gotta say it's right up in the top 2 most painful health issues I have ever had. I totally agree with allowing good recovery time.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Had it years ago and it took a full month to recover. This isn’t something to mess with, rest. Maybe it’s a great opportunity to totally dial in nutrition.
  • neilgib28
    neilgib28 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Currently trying to recover from this, finished antibiotics 5days ago but still in pain, albeit far less and appears to be getting progressively better each day. Tried to find info on recovery times through internet searches but pretty vague responses.
    Not lifted for 3weeks now and I'm climbing the walls :D , sounds like I just need to be patient and give it another couple of weeks.
  • pmwilliams744
    pmwilliams744 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had pleurisy years ago & it was very painful. It took about a month for me to recover, but the recovery time may vary depending on the cause of the pleurisy. I had pneumonia before I was diagnosed with pleurisy, so I believe mine was bacterial not viral. I was put on antibiotics, steroids & Ibuprofen for the pain. Meds, eating healthy foods, drinking lots of water, vitamins and resting is what helped me recover. I used to run almost every day before I got sick but had to stop during my illness. So I understand how frustrating it can be. Please take good care of yourself. Wishing you & anyone else dealing with this illness a complete & speedy recovery.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I might have it now. I had horrible chest pains and had to leave work. EKG was normal. I got Duexis. It seems to be helping but I really want to be active. Is it ok to workout if I'm not in pain? The pain had almost completely gone away after dinner, so I vacuumed and food prepped, but then the pain came back and I took another dose. Feeling better again now...
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    I might have it now. I had horrible chest pains and had to leave work. EKG was normal. I got Duexis. It seems to be helping but I really want to be active. Is it ok to workout if I'm not in pain? The pain had almost completely gone away after dinner, so I vacuumed and food prepped, but then the pain came back and I took another dose. Feeling better again now...

That's a question for your primary care provider.

• ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options
    So incredibly painful. It took me about a month to recover. It was the only time in my life I was unintentionally losing weight despite feeling like I was eating as much as I practically could get down. It hurt to move anything. Honestly, I tried to move as little as possible. E.g. if I absolutely could not avoid travelling for work, I really tried to spend several days working from bed following that. A lot of movement one day (e.g. travel) would punish me for days after. I didn't even take a suitcase to avoid the need to pull/lift it, just put my toothbrush & makeup in my briefcase. Exercise was the least of my concerns. Based on my experience, I would say move as little as possible until you heal fully, and give yourself as much time as you need, even if it is more than a month.
  • DancingMoosie
    Options
    The doctor didn't really say I had to slow down, just that he would. I said I obviously wouldn't be doing a workout that caused me pain. I did a super low impact workout today (bodystrikes by PowerStrike with Ilaria Montagnani) and some stretchy yoga for the core. It feels better. I didn't need any pain meds this morning.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I had it in my early 20s and I recall it lasting a couple of weeks. Not a lot of fun. It was nearly 30 years ago, so I'm hazy on the details. Walking was OK.
  • HilTri
    HilTri Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I had it from the flu. I was prescribed Motrin and carried on with my workouts. My sister got it, she called and ambulance due to the pain and was put on steroids. I guess we all react differently and have different pain thresholds. Feel better.
  • DancingMoosie
    Options
    I felt ok today, did Leslie Sansone indoor walk and yoga. Later, I went to the park and walked before going to the store. My chest started hurting while I was shopping, so I took my pain pill. I was in terrible pain for over an hour before the meds kicked in. Is this normal? I was hoping that if an activity was going to trigger a flare-up, that it would happen during the activity itself. I'm trying to only take the pain meds as-needed, but they don't work quickly.
  • neilgib28
    neilgib28 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I was feeling much better on Saturday so went for a game of golf, despite loading up with painkillers it wasn't a pleasant experience and now I feel like I'm back at square one :s . Back to the docs this morning and then to hospital for a chest x-ray :'(
  • angel7472
    angel7472 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I had it a while ago. I remember having a coughing fit and then something just popped in my chest followed by excruciating pain. I called my husband and told him something was really wrong and that I needed to go to the hospital. I had to beg the emergency room for pain killers. Went to a allergy/immunotherapy doctor and he did a pulmonary test and asked how the hospital even discharged me. Supposedly my breathing was that bad. 2 steroid shots, 2 doses of liquid steroids and multiple breathing treatments he finally was confident to let me go home. I guess the steroids caused the inflammation to go down because I wasn't in that much pain afterwards. That was the beginning of my battle with lung conditions that led to the discovery of AAT1. I would say take it easy otherwise you might relapse. I have a tendency to ignore warning signs and keep at it. Do what everyone says and just take it easy. You will get better and then you can do all the things you need to do.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options
    I felt ok today, did Leslie Sansone indoor walk and yoga. Later, I went to the park and walked before going to the store. My chest started hurting while I was shopping, so I took my pain pill. I was in terrible pain for over an hour before the meds kicked in. Is this normal? I was hoping that if an activity was going to trigger a flare-up, that it would happen during the activity itself. I'm trying to only take the pain meds as-needed, but they don't work quickly.

I had it with pneumonia, and it was the most painful part of the pneumonia. So different circumstance from you. The pain never happened during activity for me. It was shooting pain the next day. Which kind of makes sense. Pain is caused by inflamed/swollen pleura rubbing against each other. It takes a while for swelling to develop following whatever activity agitates them. For me, anything that moved my torso could aggravate. Hope you feel better soon.
  • DancingMoosie
    Options
    So far, so good. I haven't needed my pain meds since Sunday. Tried some lifting yesterday and a little more vigorous cardio this morning, but still not full out. I feel fine.