Anyone else feel HUNGRY?

Options
I'm new to MFP & so far its been very very helpful. The community is great & I am making progress...(although its slow) My question is, Is anyone else out there hungry all the freaking time? Some days I am right at my calories for the day and others I go a little over, but ALL DAY I'm hungry. Not the "oooh, I feel a lill hungry, but "DAMN! My stomach is nawing @ my backbone hungry!" Does anyone out there have some hints and coping method for this? I know I need to shrink my stomach, but its driving me nuts! Thanks for the help! :smile:

Replies

• AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    If you eat more fiber and protein, it might help keep you feeling fuller for longer. Also, water helps too.
  • PhilipByrne
    PhilipByrne Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be able to stick to my calorie target if I didn't excercise everyday. Those extra few hundred calories make the difference for me. Different for everyone though, I would also agree with eating slow release carbs, Wholewheat breads, pasta etc. G'luck.
  • AEcklar813
    AEcklar813 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Try drinking a big glass of cold water. If that doesn't help then I suggest (as did the other poster) fiber and protein to help you feel full longer. Also, eat back some of your exercise calories.
  • SlimSadieG
    SlimSadieG Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Every minute of every day...
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    Ditto to what the posters above suggested. Also split your meals so you are eating about every three hours so you start getting hungry about the time you're ready to eat again. You can put lots of veggies like asparagus in the mix-takes a lot to add up in calories and very filling.
  • army_cobra
    army_cobra Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Drink more water and get more protien in your diet
  • samhradh
    samhradh Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    All i can say is work through it, things get easier around 2 weeks in, try 5 to 6 small meals a day, don't let yourself go more than 4 hours without eating something.
    fill up on raw veggies and salad, get 3 to 4 oz of protein at least twice a day.
    And of course drink plenty of water 8 glasses is 4 pints.
    I also chew sugar free gum and that hepls me, especially when preparing meals it stops the picking.
    As my grandma always said " kitchen pickers wear bigger knickers"
    Good luck
  • Carol_27
    Carol_27 Posts: 40
    Options
    WATER WATER WATER, seriously helps to fill u up and I agree with everyone else that the fiber + protein + water is the most practical, also sometimes I do a little trick with drinking water and chewing sugar free gum or some sugar free hard candy (no more than the portion mentioned on the nutrition facts) and this helps me ALOT becuase sometimes I think its more the oral fixation rather actually being hungry.
  • cherylwimmers
    cherylwimmers Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I agree with Phillip. I seem to be more hungry on the days I don't exercise. If I exercise and burn over 300 calories and I eat about 200 of them, I feel much less hungry throughout the day. I also have it set my goal to lose 1.5 lbs/week instead of 2. I just couldn't do the reduced calories, it was way too low and I still lost 2 lbs this week. Also choose to eat food where you get alot of food for little calories, like veggies.
  • Hirundo
    Hirundo Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I had this problem and i found 2 things that help me ...

1st like somebody already said, proteins and fibers help a lot !

2nd, whatever i want my net calories at the end of the day at, I try to eat atleast my BMR... for convenience i set up my goal at my BMR... So no i dont always eat all my exercises calorie back, usually about 50-75% of it ... So i can stay under my goal ...

Just for info, my BMR set as a goal would make me aloose about 1.3lbs/week .. i'd say it's about right ..

It works for me, dont be afraid to try things .. you'll find the best way for you!
  • treehugginpam
    treehugginpam Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    I agree about the protein -- I always feel fuller for longer if I have more of it.

Also, make sure you're eating enough calories. It sounds counter intuitive, but if you eat too few calories your weight loss will stall and you will definitely be hungry. I have about 70 pounds to lose, and if I go too much under 1800 cal per day my body just seems to stop letting go of the weight (I was eating 1400/day and some weeks not losing anything). There are a lot of them out there, but here's one calorie calculator that I found that might help you figure out how many calories you should eat per day:

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm
  • kristofferbas
    kristofferbas Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite problem, I'm rarely hungry nowadays, and I need to get more energy into my body as I can burn up to 2000 calories a day exercising. But thankfully I can eat some nuts (cashew or peanuts) so I don't have to eat a huge amount of something. I'm also trying to eat a bigger breakfast and a couple of fruits in between meals.

About six months ago I never thought I could say something like this as I used to be hungry all the time, but after I started walking a couple of times a week, and after a while running (about 30-40 kilometers/week) it went away. Strange.

/k
  • nature20113
    Options
    Thanks SO much everyone! I will definately try the water thing... I dont think Ive been very faithful with that...lol & more raw veggies! :wink: Thanks for the motivation 2!