Help!

Options
Hello everyone, I am very new here, and have never posted before. I am having a lot of difficulty saying no to all the sweets in my office. It’s terrible! Any suggestions on what to do?

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Pre-log your food. Before it goes into your mouth, put it into your food diary and see what kind of impact it's going to make on your day.

I pre-log my entire day before breakfast. Then, when someone shows up with treats, I can look and see if I can (or want) to make it fit. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.
  • cariwaldick
    cariwaldick Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the community!

Go to work prepared. Take your own healthy snacks, and make sure you're not hungry. Keep a big cup of water (Crystal Light, tea, etc.) handy near your desk, and drink from it all day. That will keep you from feeling like you're deprived. You could allow yourself a taste--like a bite of cake for someone's birthday, just don't feel like you have to eat enough to derail your plan.

There are lots of mental strategies. One member here said she imagines those snacks have been touched, breathed on, and contaminated by everyone else in the office--people with colds and flu, who haven't washed their hands, etc. I think of those snacks as drugs. I've never done drugs, so the mental image works to keep me from taking that first bite.

Remember the down side of those snacks--you've had them all before, right? So, that cake is dry, and the icing is too sugary. The donuts are stale, and so are the crackers. Jane's famous fudge puts you in a sugar coma, and the chips stick in your teeth and get your hands greasy. You're not really missing anything, and you won't even remember it in a day or two.

Plan a good lunch, and look forward to that. If you give in to the snacks, don't beat yourself up or quit. Make goals you can keep your whole life.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,482 Member
    Options
    One day I had occasion to watch the behavior of my coworkers around the food that was out.

I instantly became the office germaphobe. I rarely caught colds after that. True.
  • namelesshere
    namelesshere Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    A new mantra. If I didn't buy it, I can not eat it. Then load your desk with the healthy snacks you want to eat and have logged into MFP