Salmon calories vary greatly???

Mucka500
Mucka500 Posts: 2 Member
edited January 2019 in Food and Nutrition
I purchased a .84 pound piece of Atlantic Salmon tonight and scanned it in. The total calories for that one piece came in at 1120 and 60 grams of fat! I see in MFP that 6oz of salmon is anywhere from 240 to 500? Is there that much variance with salmon?? Thanks

Replies

• JessAndreia
    JessAndreia Posts: 540 Member
    edited January 2019
    According to google 100 grams of atlantic raw salmon is 208 calories and 13 grams of fat.
    0.84 pounds = 380 grams, which comes to 790 calories and almost 50 grams of fat.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Many of the database entries are user entered and often are incorrect. You need to check the entries you use against the nutrition info on the package or the USDA published info for whole foods.

and once you do that and check you can make your own entry - I try to search for entries with USDA in the title because that means someone else already did it for me! So i'd type in "raw salmon USDA " or "grilled salmon USDA" for example
  • jesspen91
    jesspen91 Posts: 1,383 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Cahgetsfit wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Many of the database entries are user entered and often are incorrect. You need to check the entries you use against the nutrition info on the package or the USDA published info for whole foods.

and once you do that and check you can make your own entry - I try to search for entries with USDA in the title because that means someone else already did it for me! So i'd type in "raw salmon USDA " or "grilled salmon USDA" for example

I think I've only needed to create two entries in the six years I've been logging food, and that was not for whole foods. Way too many people unnecessarily create entries, and that clutters up the database.

If you find an entry that includes "USDA", that was a user created entry.

Unfortunately, the "verified" green check marks in the MFP database are used for both user-created entries and system entries. To find system entries for whole foods, I get the syntax from the USDA database and plug that into MFP.

For packaged foods, I verify the label against what I find in MFP.

Yep. Whenever I enter a recipe I get thrown by the default entry for garlic which is 1000 calories for one bulb! My recipes come out higher calorie than expected and I have to comb through to find the culprit. It's always the garlic! I wish the recipe builder was better.
  • mlinci
    mlinci Posts: 403 Member
    The amount of fat in salmon varies enormously, so I think it’s right that some types might be much more calorific than some other, leaner types.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Raw salmon of any variety will come in between 1 and 2 calories per gram. Most all of it within 1 to 1.5 calories per gram. Cooked salmon will leave rendered fat in the pan. You could weigh it and deduct it from the raw calories.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I purchased a .84 pound piece of Atlantic Salmon tonight and scanned it in. The total calories for that one piece came in at 1120 and 60 grams of fat! I see in MFP that 6oz of salmon is anywhere from 240 to 500? Is there that much variance with salmon?? Thanks

There isn't...your first entry was just a *kitten* one.
  • Mucka500
    Mucka500 Posts: 2 Member
    Thank you all for your help! Much appreciated. USDA database is a great tip!