Neuroma - Who has it?

I have a neuroma (damaged nerve) at the ball of my foot. It’s hard to exercise to lose weight when your foot goes numb and you can’t feel your toes. Who has a neuroma and what exercises do you do with this painful issue? I can walk but at the end of my 50min daily walk. I’m in pain. Any other suggestions?

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    @mvhk1337 mine pain seems to have resolved in the ball of my feet. My DC that did the most good uses ultrasound as well as adjusting those bone. My was both feet at the same time. Even wearing heavy sole shoes I would almost pass out from the pain stepping on even a small stone in the drive or sidewalk.

Below is a very short video by a DC that I find to offer simple yet worthwhile advice on different health issues.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=dTrA8fT5OWM

Best of success and it does not have to be a long term source of pain based my experience.

• Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    I have a (Morton’s) neuroma and have decent luck with extremely wide shoes (New Balance Extra super duper wide-like it seems like I could fit both feet in one shoe-not just “wide width” shoes) and insoles with a metatarsal pad. I also use yoga toes sort of regularly.

I can bike for exercise if it’s bothering me a great deal.

I also wear hiking shoes with a rock plate if I’m anywhere on an uneven surface (helps from small things pressing into the spot where the neuroma is).

I’ve also heard cutting a hole in the insole of your shoe directly below where the neuroma is can help (eliminates pressure on the spot). I haven’t had to do that yet so I don’t know.

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    I have one in my rt ft.

Underwent surgery to fix it, which wasn't entirely successful and let to my getting a permanent disability retirement, which one of the best things that ever happened to me financially.

To avoid pain, I simply avoid spending excessive time & doing anything that puts excessive pressure on my feet. So, I do not run but I can still walk/hike long distances w/o discomfort as long as I do so at a slow pace. I can also bike and row. Rowing is my main form of exercise and does not hurt my feet in any way.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    In addition to the above advice, switch to shoes with no raised heel. 90% of shoes have a raised heel, which puts more stress on the toes and can worsen neuromas. Good "zero heel" shoes include skateboard shoes and Altras. Having a wide toe box helps.
    mvhk1337 wrote: »
    It’s hard to exercise to lose weight when your foot goes numb and you can’t feel your toes.

Weight loss only requires eating fewer calories than you burn, not exercise. For fitness, you can use an exercise bike (or a bike on a trainer), and also strength training. :+1:
  • BellaK061
    BellaK061 Posts: 2 Member
    I have a Morton's neuroma on my right foot. I wear athletic shoes with a wide toe box and no laces. Shoes with laces press the foot down too much. Skechers go walk series work for me although I get odd looks sometimes at the gym. I can walk, do weight machines, yoga, barre, all without excessive discomfort.
  • bmwcatherine
    bmwcatherine Posts: 1 Member
    I also have a Mortan’s neuroma and have for many years. Custom orthotics helped immensely. I also bought New Balance shoes to put them in. Now I buy Vionic shoes that have the orthotic built inside the shoe, standard and most shoes come in wide widths. I usually get them from QVC because they let you wear them for up to 30 days and still return for a full refund if they hurt or don’t fit correctly. And I have had to send some shoes back. One cool thing is they have flip flops with the orthotic built in. Great for the gym wet area. Good luck. This is a trying condition.