C25k - ok for trails? Dogs? Trail dogs?

Options
jjpptt2
jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
Any reason C25K wouldn't be suitable to getting my dogs trail running with me?

It's mostly for my own peace of mind, knowing they can do the time/distance rather than anything else. They go with me a lot as it is, but we've overdone it a few times resulting in some pretty sore/stiff dogs.

They are older dogs (both rescues, 9ish I think), but absolutely love being in the woods.

Replies

• robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    I think I'd look into the advice of your vet based on the breeds. Some dogs can run forever, some can't. But the breeds make them a lot more variable than humans in that aspect IMO.

I'm still hoping for the day I can get my pit to jog with me. I've tried just about every trick I've seen posted, but with no luck. Once I go from a fast walk to a jog, she thinks it's race time and goes full blown Scooby Do on me. At least I get a good laugh out of the fails once I get her fully controlled. :)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,991 Member
    Options
    I live on a trail and I see a lot of dogs running...the ones that worry me are the ones strapped to bikes. They look like they're barely making it, some of them. Seems cruel to me.

I mean, they're your dogs and you should be able to tell if they're flagging? I guess start with a trip to your vet for pro advice and be ready to walk for part of it. Obviously some dogs are more built for it than others - like Huskies vs Corgis.
  • jjpptt2
    Options
    One is a Jack Russell, the other is a Jack Russell / Brittany Spaniel mix... They are right at home on the trails, and the vet has said hiking and running are fine if they enjoy it (which they clearly do).
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    for a 9 year old dog i would start with a full vet visit to check their physical shape. my lab stopped running by 7-8. in the woods offleash (assuming they won't wander and listen and won't get in the way of other runners) is better as they can putter as well.

what is their current exercise level?
  • jjpptt2
    Options
    They won't be offleash (I view that as irresponsible), so that's a non-issue.

Their current exercise level - wanting more. We walk/hike 45ish minutes 2-3 times per week.
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I’ve always ran with my dogs, but yes it does depend greatly on the breed and age. 9 is pretty old especially for a larger dog breed I would be reluctant to take them very far especially without an OK from the vet first. I’ve got a bum knee right now so my husband has been taking my two year old shepherd for his C25k runs on the trail, it’s been nice and cold outside and so far my husband said the dog is doing really well. If the dog starts to try to lay down at any point or drag behind you’ve gone too far. A 45 minute walk 2-3 times a week is not very fit, I’ve always walked mine 1 hour 2x a day , 7 days a week and then we begin running. Off leash running is generally much better for dogs, they can sprint ahead and take a break while you catch up and it allows them time to sniff and go at their own pace.
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    They are both small dogs of VERY active breeds (both less than 20lbs). I don't think age is an issue for them, but they can't simply go out and run 5 miles with me. I thought about C25K simply so we'd do some building up together, so I'd have a better sense of what was enough and what might be too much. That's really what this post is about - not whether or not they can/should be on the trails - that's a given. They live for their adventures.

uc?export=download&id=1MrNTiorIH8XLQPnk2DlYCFz7BaX_lg4N

uc?export=download&id=1dar9xyCCc09wjMQwG-CH7WnFhMBLnOOl

They’re adorable! Yes definitely start them out slow, C25k is perfect for that. I wouldn’t jump right into 5 miles with them.
  • jjpptt2
    Options
    What we've done the last few times out, which seems to be working well... is run a trail, then walk a trail... run a trail, then walk a trail. The town park closest to home, which is where we hike the most, is pretty small, with relatively short trails. So it ends up being something like 1/4 mile run, 1/4 mile walk... 1/4 mile run... 1/4 mile walk for however long we are there.
  • ellarr1234
    ellarr1234 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I do canicross with my two dogs, if they’re on lead make sure you get a proper harness for you and them with a bungee lead. Start slow and short and build them up to faster and longer. I usually judge if mine are tired by how much they’re pulling, if I tell them ‘go’ and I don’t feel they’re about to pull me over we’ll have a walking break 😂 lots of groups and info online if you need
  • jjpptt2
    Options
    Thanks. I've already got the gear... good harness for them, 2 5' bungee leads, and a hip belt/harness for me. I've been really happy with the setup so far.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    i foster dogs and i do intervals like c25k for training with them.
    9 years is middle aged for jacks so if they like it, i would go for it.

i don't worry so much about breeds, just personality. the only breed thing i would really worry about is smooshed faces. short legs aren't a limiting factor. I run with a stubby dog right now and he keeps up well with the collie and lab

check with the vet like a person going to dr when starting a new exercise regime. also check that you have the right vet. like dr, some are very uneducated.
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I actually used couch 2 5k with my dogs. It's how we found out our boxer mix would run for days, helped build up both of our stamina, and how we found out that our pitbull will hide if he hears "run".

If you end up with a puppy down the road, I have heard that you shouldn't run them until they are a year old because it's hard on developing joints
  • smcurtis1981
    smcurtis1981 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I had a dog that came endurance horse ride training with me - he was an Australian Kelpie and we were doing training rides of 20 km + 3 times a week. He was super super fit and learnt to lie down on mud, in puddles etc to cool himself.
    I take my Staffy out for my 5 km runs now and he loves it, still pulling at the end.

I'm sure your two will be fine and will really enjoy themselves!
  • Butterchop
    Butterchop Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    They are both small dogs of VERY active breeds (both less than 20lbs). I don't think age is an issue for them, but they can't simply go out and run 5 miles with me. I thought about C25K simply so we'd do some building up together, so I'd have a better sense of what was enough and what might be too much. That's really what this post is about - not whether or not they can/should be on the trails - that's a given. They live for their adventures.

uc?export=download&id=1MrNTiorIH8XLQPnk2DlYCFz7BaX_lg4N

uc?export=download&id=1dar9xyCCc09wjMQwG-CH7WnFhMBLnOOl

I have no advice but your dogs are super cute.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I don't see any reason not to try it. As long as you're attentive to whether or not they seem to have troubles with it, I say do it. I did it with one of my greyhounds. Greys are more sprinters, not distance runners, but he loved it. I tried it with another one of our greys and he acted like it was pure torture so I didn't move past the first several workouts with him.