Ditching the booze.....

Options
Tried this a gazillion times over the last 15 years, really need to do it this time. Usual format is heavy drinking for a couple of weeks, drinking so much I end up hating it. Then get super keen for a week, no drinking, lose weight, feel better, then think I'll just have one drink. Repeat cycle. When I don't drink I shred the weight, need to lose around 25 pounds in total, and need to keep it off by staying drink free. How do you guys stay off the booze and stay focused?

Replies

• bethxox11
    bethxox11 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I’d also like tips on this cos somehow the whole bottle of Pinot ends up down my neck
  • NSthingoldline
    NSthingoldline Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    It is definitely difficult. I've also tried in the past, stayed alcohol free for 3 months then went out for girls' night and BAM! I have to start all over! LOL
    I think moderation is key and I've been more conscious of what I drink. I try to stay away from high sugar alcohol, which is hard because I love me some red vino! I've been choosing gin and club soda with a wedge of lime lately...
  • ArmyMedic23PFA
    ArmyMedic23PFA Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I've been sober now for nearly 4 years, not easy, but better than the alternatives l was facing
  • NSthingoldline
    Options
    I've been sober now for nearly 4 years, not easy, but better than the alternatives l was facing

Congratulations! Well done.

• dewit
    dewit Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    You might want to join this challenge:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10714172/less-alcohol-january-2019-one-day-at-a-time/p1
    Good luck :flowerforyou: You can do this, I am sure of it!
  • KTaurusW0516
    KTaurusW0516 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    It is definitely difficult. I've also tried in the past, stayed alcohol free for 3 months then went out for girls' night and BAM! I have to start all over! LOL
    I think moderation is key and I've been more conscious of what I drink. I try to stay away from high sugar alcohol, which is hard because I love me some red vino! I've been choosing gin and club soda with a wedge of lime lately...

Unless you feel like you're gonna go back to drinking all the time. I don't think drinking occasionally is a bad thing. As society see's it, social drinking. Social drinking with friends/family is bound to happen. Holidays, celebrations, or just going out to have fun.

I haven't drank in two months but, my birthday is in three months. I know, very well, I'm gonna drink. Lol, just stay positive. Before the last time I drank, it was five months of no drinking. I just don't like giving myself that idea of I will never drink again. Then, when I have a drink. I won't feel guilty or put myself down.

• Roadie_Cyclist1987
    Roadie_Cyclist1987 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies , really helpful. I'm beginning to think that if you can just have the odd drink then fine, you can manage your intake. I can't do that and must see this as a drug addiction which is what booze basically is. I'm going to try and stop completely, lose the weight and do what I love, racing my bike. Good luck everyone.
  • NSthingoldline
    Options
    You too!
  • pmm300
    pmm300 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    So.... I don’t even know how to guess how much booze I had in December...it was stupid. One of my goals for January was to completely avoid alcohol. The first few Friday nights were hard. However, I will day it’s getting easier. The challenge for me will be easing back into it with moderation next month.... wish me luck lol
  • NSthingoldline
    Options
    pmm300 wrote: »
    So.... I don’t even know how to guess how much booze I had in December...it was stupid. One of my goals for January was to completely avoid alcohol. The first few Friday nights were hard. However, I will day it’s getting easier. The challenge for me will be easing back into it with moderation next month.... wish me luck lol

You can do it!
  • Roadie_Cyclist1987
    Roadie_Cyclist1987 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    bethxox11 wrote: »
    I’d also like tips on this cos somehow the whole bottle of Pinot ends up down my neck

I know exactly what you mean!
  • Exercisewoman
    Exercisewoman Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I'm the same. Good for a week or so then one drink and go on a binge.