Whoosh? Losing a lot at once

Options
What causes this? Have been staying around same calories but this week, have dropped a lot. Have been losing consistently since June and there are some weeks I’m barely losing a pound and then some where 5lbs come off like it’s nothing.

Replies

• merekins
    merekins Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    It’s just so weird. Makes me realize how little I understand what weight loss really is. Are we basically just losing water as a result of fat cells shrinking?
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    A good reason why staying the course.. using logic instead of emotion is so important in a weight loss journey. The weight does come off how it wants in time. It does happen..and it doesn't happen on demand. congrats!
  • lin_be
    lin_be Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    merekins wrote: »
    It’s just so weird. Makes me realize how little I understand what weight loss really is. Are we basically just losing water as a result of fat cells shrinking?

That is a strong theory, yes.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options

Maybe. https://bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html/
  • leiflung
    leiflung Posts: 83 Member
    Options

Two things I know of can hold a lot of water in your body.

First is salt.

Second is carbs. Your body uses carbs to store glycogen in your muscles and glycogen holds water. Glycogen stores are the reason marathon runners "carb load", by the way. They are trying to store the maximum glycogen to use on the race day.

This is why people who get on the Keto diet lose a ton of weight really quickly and people say it's just water. It is. Keto depletes your glycogen stores. That' why the dramatic water weight plunge.
  • merekins
    merekins Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »

Maybe. https://bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html/

Interesting read! Thanks!!!
  • whatalazyidiot
    whatalazyidiot Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    lin_be wrote: »
    Sometimes I can tell when a whoosh is going to happen. My tummy (where most of my fat is just taking a long holiday) usually looks lumpy and weird. And then for that entire day, I pee like crazy without increasing any water consumption. Usually the next day my skin looks a bit tighter and I drop a lb.

Same. This happened to me this week. My stomach just looks different (and less bloated/hard), and the amount I was peeing was making my insane. Then for the next 2 days, I lost like 5-6 lbs. My carbs were also a little lower (unintentionally), so all that water weight just dropped.
  • brittlb07
    brittlb07 Posts: 313 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I just googled this and a lot of resources say this isn’t a thing? Sounded good to me but looks like it’s still a controversial topic.

https://www.refinery29.com/en-us/whoosh-effect-weight-loss-meaning
  • IsETHome
    IsETHome Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Stress, salt, water, medications, exercise intensity, bowl back up....the bowls can store several pounds.....whoosh sounds good.
  • Tankiscool
    Tankiscool Posts: 11,105 Member
    Options
    In a nutshell the best way that I can describe it is our bodies hate us when we are in a deficit. This 'shock' and 'ahh' kinda thing going on with plateaus and whooshing.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,398 Member
    Options
    I'm not really convinced about the whoosh theory. There were two papers published on the effect of salt on the body early on last year. They researchers found a few things, under controlled conditions (astronauts locked up): People who ate more salt were less thirsty, drank less but peed out the same amount of fluid. But they also found that there are regular cycles in glycogen or a similar sounding hormon levels that leads to different amounts of storing vs releasing fluids. These cycles were least pronounced in those eating the most salt.

It's possible that some people who tend to whoosh eat less salt, because it's supposed to be healthy and hence have these pronounced cycles of storing and losing water weight
  • lin_be
    lin_be Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    brittlb07 wrote: »
    That really your body goes through natural plateaus trying to stop wait loss because your body doesn’t understand the excess weight is not needed. So a few days may go by with no weight loss. So when your body finally uses the fat, this is perhaps what seems like the woosh? Either way, glad weight loss is happening!

I believe the body functions like a very sophisticated machine. There’s no ‘confusion’ mechanism. It has processes that are constantly functioning.
  • Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Below is the chemical reaction for how fat is converted. The whooshes occur when your body releases the water. As far as why it holds on to it and lets it go in spurts, that could be for several reasons. Hormones, increased/decreased carbs, increased/decreased salt, etc.

C55H104O6 (fat cell) + 78 O2 (oxygen) -> 55 CO2 (carbon dioxide) + 52 H2O (water)
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Below is the chemical reaction for how fat is converted. The whooshes occur when your body releases the water. As far as why it holds on to it and lets it go in spurts, that could be for several reasons. Hormones, increased/decreased carbs, increased/decreased salt, etc.

C55H104O6 (fat cell) + 78 O2 (oxygen) -> 55 CO2 (carbon dioxide) + 52 H2O (water)

The formula doesn't take into account water consumed, which is far more than water lost from weight loss. So, if your holding on to water it can be far more than from the fat loss.

I wish I could find it again, but I do recall reading that fat cells cannot store water, so that isn't the process. But I do know that I've had whooshes before, so little to no loss for 2 weeks and 3-4 lbs gone the next. And lots of others here have stated the same thing.