Advice - low sugar diet

Options
Hi,
I recently tried the Dukan diet which, in the attack phase consists of lean meat and low fat dairy. It worked really well, but is so dull!!! plus not good for cholesterol. I lost 5 pounds in a week, but unless you stick to Dr Dukan’s guidelines you cannot keep this weight off.
Anywho, this diet has really made me think about how much sugar I actually eat and I have decided to start a low sugar, low carb diet – without cutting them out completely.
Has anyone else attempted this?
Any recommendations for meals to have? Which are also low calorie! ;-)

I normally have toast for breakfast, any low carb ideas that don’t involve LOTS of meat like the Dukan diet?
I was quite surprised how damaging sugar can actually be, even natural sugars in fruits! So any advise would be appreciated.
Thanks.x

Replies

• randa_behnam
    randa_behnam Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    you need protein to keep yourself fuller for longer so make sure you have eggs, chicken, fish and meat.

cut out refined carbs like white pastas and breads because they dont help you when trying to lose weight.

eat a lot of veg and salad and reduce your dressing and oil intake. the way you cook food also factors in your weight loss so use a george forman instead of a frying pan or roasting something.

pretty soon you wont miss those carbs and there are so many other protein varieties out there like prawns and turkey and meatballs etc. be adventurous x
  • chrissiemissie
    Options
    Agree with Randa. Missing whole food groups doesn't work. You need high fibre, low sugar, low saturated fat and low GL. All this will balance blood sugar levels and keep you feeling fuller for longer. You'll need to eat less, you'll eat better carbs - meaning you'll get more nutrition without the sugar crashes of refined versions. There's lots of different help out there - nutritionists, dieticians, doctors or online diets http://www.spoonfedsuppers.com/healthy-eating/healthy-diet/low_sugar_diet
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Feel free to look over my diary. Sugars are migraine triggers for me so I tend to steer clear of them. I really don’t eat starches either. Always eat breakfast! I microwave my eggs in the microwave with some sort of veggie & then add cheese. By the way.., don’t look at it as a diet. Look at it like a lifestyle choice, you’re less likely to fail that way.

PS: I eat ice cream too, but its 90 calories, no sugar added & yummy! Go take a looksie…
  • beernutz
    beernutz Posts: 136
    Options
    For breakfast I generally have either an omelet with some type of cheese and avocado or a piece of quiche I've made in advance and reheated. You can also eat other foods not typically eaten at breakfast for breakfast. My wife makes deviled eggs and chicken salad which are so good I'll eat them 24 hours a day. I also do poached eggs and just eat cheese on the side or put some homemade Hollandaise sauce (which is primarily just more eggs) on them to get the fat content up.