Potato leek soup

Options
What’s a nice rich, hearty substitute for heavy whipping cream in this delicious soup? Too much fat and calories this way!

Replies

• lin_be
    lin_be Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Half and half
  • Sebismom
    Sebismom Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    When I make potato leek soup I simmer the vegetables in a rich chicken broth and use that as the blending liquid. That provides the rich flavor. I find adding cream actually dampers the flavor of pureed soups. This also works for zucchini soup, tomato, butternut squash, pea soup, beans soups, etc. You can add a dollop of full fat yogurt, or sour cream, to blend in each bowl.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I make a potato celery soup (creamy). I cook the potato and celery chopped in a little water, then puree with a hand mixer, add veg broth flakes, pepper, paprica, and skim milk. Salt to taste. I cook this on a low flame for 15 min, put in a bowl and add grated parmesan cheese. The only fat is the cheese. If you want more you can add a little olive oil.
  • Lolinloggen
    Lolinloggen Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    rice
    Seriously if you have a handful of rice adds creaminess to any soup Make sure it is a rice that is a bit softish and white
  • ashesfromfire
    ashesfromfire Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I actually just made potato and leek soup a few days ago and didnt add any milk, cream, ect and it came out sooo good. I used yukon gold potatoes for their naturally silky texture and sauteed the leeks and let then soften for almost 30 before adding the rest of the soup ingredients to the pan. Well blended, it was delicious!
  • IsETHome
    IsETHome Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I used turkey stock that I made as a base, added more veggies ant chopped cabbage, and some peppers, quite tasty.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,435 Member
    Options
    Whipping cream? leek and tattie soup is a broth based soup! :o It's very low in calorie as there's not much of high calories in it.

I made a fantastic one recently and added a smoked sausage in thin slices. Still had too little calories and so I added some good butter.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    You can also take out half the soup, blend, and add back in, to get a nice texture.

I always feel like adding cream to soups is not for me - it either feels like cheating (of course it tastes good, it's cream, but can you make it taste good without?), or pointless (trying to volume eat some nice hearty soup and then just ruin it with 1000 cals of cream).
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Love this soup. But, I just puree a little of the potato with the chicken broth and it thickens up just fine.