How Long To Ketosis When Fasting?

Options
How long does it take for the body to enter a state of ketosis when you fast?

I know it must depend on how much carbs you have in your system, but is there a known ball park time frame? Just curios.

Replies

• Teabythesea_
    Teabythesea_ Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Dr. Google says 17-48 hours.
  • mithion
    mithion Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Dr. Google says 17-48 hours.

Hmmmm 🧐. Very interesting
  • mithion
    Options
    That’s not my concern. I was just curious if during my 16 hour fast I was going into ketosis or not.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Ah OK - guess your carb intake the previous day and activity levels during the waking part of your fast would be big variables.

People test their ketone levels (with ketostix ??) but no personal idea how accurate they are.
  • mithion
    Options

sijomial wrote: »
    Ah OK - guess your carb intake the previous day and activity levels during the waking part of your fast would be big variables.

People test their ketone levels (with ketostix ??) but no personal idea how accurate they are.

Thanks for the info. I don’t know if I am going into ketosis or not but what I am doing is working and I’m down 10 pounds and feel great so it works for me.
  • leiflung
    leiflung Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

They work great when you're just starting out. After a while, they don't work well at all.

Thing to keep in mind is that you're not shooting for the darkest color you can get. You don't need that. You just need it to be a tiny bit pink. It might be maroon one day and light pink the other. Both are fantastic. Don't be like, "Oh no, it's not as dark, what am I doing wrong?" You not doing anything wrong.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Agreed. Ketostix show the excess ketones that you are spilling into urine, and are affected by his hydrated you are.

After 6 months of ketosis, ketostix really showed above a trace reading for me. Sometimes it was even negative. Since I eat fewer than 20g of carbs a day, it just means I am in ketosis and I am hydrated.

After a day of fasting, I would guess that most people are getting into ketosis since it only takes a day or two to reach ketosis with a very low carb diet. I guess it would depend on your glycogen stores and how active you are.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    If you are already keto-adapted and generally doing a 16:8 IF and keeping carbs low to maintain your ketosis, you'll have a different answer from if you are not keto-adapted and doing your first 16:8 IF after a high carb day.