I think I need to eat more, and need help

Options
2»

Replies

• Harkins86
    Harkins86 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    How tall are you? You look quite tall in your photos. I would imagine that you should be eating more than 1600 without exercise as your BMR will be large. You can google it and see how much it is. I'm not saying you should be eating more to not go into starvation mode, everyone has there opinion on that, but you must be aware that burning everything you eat is seriously unhealthy. What is your boday going to use for the rest of the day, or for growth and repair? If you burn more than you can eat, then stop burning that much or learn to eat more. There isn't anything else to do and still be healthy.

Now in answer to your question, I add olive oil to my meals if i need more calories ususally. Nuts, avocados etc are also great.

Good luck, I really hope you reach your goals :-)
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    You may benefit from planning your meals in advance. Eat small meals or snacks every 3-4 hrs so it's not so much your body is objecting, and eat even if your body isn't telling you it's hungry. That way you know you are getting the calories you need. Eventually your body will get a clue and start wanting food at the right time.

But it's easy to slip off-I was doing really well and the last few days I haven't eaten as regularly as I should due to my schedule and this morning found I wasn't really that hungry when I woke up-a sign my metabolism might be slowing or that old habits (not eating til lunch, etc) are trying to re-assert themselves. I made myself eat anyway and 2hrs later I'm just starting to get that 'mmm I could eat something feeling' so I know in another hour or so I'll actually be hungry.

And make sure you are getting enough sleep. I've found this throws my meals off the most. If I'm not rested enough I can't decipher the difference between being tired, thirsty or hungry so I just assume it's tiredness and try to push through.
  • MyNewLeaf
    Options
    I'm afraid to fall back into old patterns and eat white bread whenever I'm hungry...
    I now lose between 0.5 and 1 kilo per week...

Oh, that's good to hear! People with more weight to lose do tend to lose a lot right in the beginning. I'm glad it has slowed down to a healthy pace for you. If you find yourself at a plateau sometime, it might be because of starvation mode, since your cals are way too low. You would just have to find a way to up your calories and then your body will be able to shed fat again.

I know what you mean about patterns. It's part of why I'm going very very slowly in my weight loss (I've lost only 16 pounds since january, not much at all, but I also hate following rules and I'm an emotional eater...). I joined MFP because I want to get more serious, and lose up to 1 pound a week, you know, except for stressful times when I won't lose anything. I know it will take forever to lose all the weight, but I hope I'm building patterns that will be liveable later. Because I won't be happy if i have to be perfect. And I will definitely fail that way. I share that because i always worry people who charge ahead and lose too fast will end up regaining later, not having a workable plan for longterm / the rest of their lives.

Do you have gluten free bread in Sweden? We have a delicious one here that is white bread, but no wheat. I wonder if you could have white bread if it was gluten-free? A lot of people are (unknowingly) sensitive to wheat, and the wheat causes a sort of addiction to it.

I hope it doesn't sound like I'm shaking my finger at you. I worry about people easily!
  • fiash
    fiash Posts: 3
    Options
    thankyou! i cant wait to try this!
    x fi
    :drinker: