Measuring weight loss

Options
Literally i mean. As in, since the scale is more an indicator of trend and not such a great "measurement" per se, im also trying to keep body measurements over time. Here is the problem - there is also a lot of variance in these! Maybe I'm bloated. Maybe the tape ia 1/2 inch off from where I originally measured. I'm trying to get sometime to track progress effectively cauae the scale numbers dont seem to be moving (yes I weigh and track all my food and yes its been more than 5 weeks). Any tips on how to consistently measure?

Replies

• MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    I know the app can track your measurements, but I don't think there is ever such a thing as a 'true' weight because you're always going to have a small range. I think the only way you're going to get any kind of progress is from long-term data. Depending on how much you're trying to lose, that amount could be getting masked by natural fluctuations.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Measure and weigh yourself under similar conditions on a regular basis and look at the long term trend. That's the best you can do.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    I do a variant of this in the iPhone's Notes function. I know what my typical water weight gain is after sodium-heavy days, what it is from barre or runs (the two activities that cause a gain in me), and then whether I'm having my cycle or ovulation or not (I gain 3.05 percent with each of those, and it hangs around for 10 days each time). So I subtract that each day, and have a formula for how to amortize it over time and how many days it takes to come off.

If you know your typical fluctuations, you could easily track. It's a PITA, though, and definitely obsessive. My therapist would have a fit if she knew I did it.
  • Torxa
    Torxa Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I use a weight trending website and whatever my trend weight is, that is what I consider my "true weight." I have been logging my trending weight on MFP instead of what the scale says.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,693 Member
    Options
    I do a variant of this in the iPhone's Notes function. I know what my typical water weight gain is after sodium-heavy days, what it is from barre or runs (the two activities that cause a gain in me), and then whether I'm having my cycle or ovulation or not (I gain 3.05 percent with each of those, and it hangs around for 10 days each time). So I subtract that each day, and have a formula for how to amortize it over time and how many days it takes to come off.

If you know your typical fluctuations, you could easily track. It's a PITA, though, and definitely obsessive. My therapist would have a fit if she knew I did it.

Not sure if this is insightful and inspiring (it is), or worthy of a hug (that too)! So I picked "like" instead! :wink:
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,693 Member
    Options
    as to the OP, if you weight daily under similar conditions and your trending weight is staying the same month after month... well that's a good indication that things are not moving!||

If your trending weight is changing on a month over month basis especially when comparing at approximately the same points of your cycle... that would also be a good indication of which way and how fast things are moving. (i.e. comparing trending weight at similar points of your cycle...)

Beyond that... all measurements have errors and small changes are easily lost in the error. Nothing much you can do about that other than consistency and time.
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    > Measure and weigh at the same time of day - first thing in the morning is best because it has been a long period of time since you last ate and you might have 'debloated' overnight. :)

> Don't take body measurements too often, 1-2 times a month is enough. Yes, measurements fluctuate, but if you are losing successfully losing weight, you should see a difference in body measurements in at least a months time. Also be sure you are measuring the same areas. Find a measurement guide online somewhere, of the areas on the body to measure and follow it. For example, you can measure your waist in one spot, but then move it down just an inch and your measurement changes drastically.

> I think the most powerful way to track progress is with pictures! Front and side full body pics once per month and compare.
  • jelleigh
    jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses everyone.
    Also @collectingblues I'm a total data nerd and an in love with how you have the exact numbers for all of this! I don't have the granularity on my data like this but I wish I did!

I think I meant my question now along the lines of howto measure with a measuring tape consistently. I will check out some online guides like @vixtris mentioned but I was wondering if anyone had tricks to isolate exactly at what point they measure. Short of tattooing lines on myself, I think it ends up varying and then I have no idea if I'm fudging the difference or not. For example, I did a one month measurement this week. The scale hasn't really moved (maybe 2 lbs?) But it keeps fluctuating up and down so I was hoping to see some movement in my measurements. I followed a method and copied it again and at first glance I thought some have gone down. But if I immediately measure again I get different numbers. So clearly I'm not doing something consistently enough.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,991 Member
    Options
    jelleigh wrote: »
    Thanks for the responses everyone.
    Also @collectingblues I'm a total data nerd and an in love with how you have the exact numbers for all of this! I don't have the granularity on my data like this but I wish I did!

I think I meant my question now along the lines of howto measure with a measuring tape consistently. I will check out some online guides like @vixtris mentioned but I was wondering if anyone had tricks to isolate exactly at what point they measure. Short of tattooing lines on myself, I think it ends up varying and then I have no idea if I'm fudging the difference or not. For example, I did a one month measurement this week. The scale hasn't really moved (maybe 2 lbs?) But it keeps fluctuating up and down so I was hoping to see some movement in my measurements. I followed a method and copied it again and at first glance I thought some have gone down. But if I immediately measure again I get different numbers. So clearly I'm not doing something consistently enough.

Wrap the measuring tape around you. Take a picture of the exact place you measured. Next time you can put it in the same place.

I find these small changes to be no fun to track. Food and weight is enough for me. :)
  • Kfrase83
    Kfrase83 Posts: 42 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I have used pictures of where I took the measurement, and in some spots - bicep, waist and calf, I use a freckle! Then I know I have the same spot everytime! :D