No self control during PMS. Tips or tricks ?!

Options
I am good all month and eat within my calorie range perfectly but when PMS comes along about a week before my period I lose all self control for that week. I want to eat like double my calories. Does anyone have any tips or tricks for getting past this week of no self control !?!

Replies

• CydSteele
    CydSteele Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have the exact same issue once it starts, not beforehand. I give myself 3 days to fall off the wagon and then get back on track. I try to drink more tea and water, walk a bit more but generally I forgive myself. I have started putting my indulgences into smaller bowls. Instead of the whole bag of chips, I get a bowl and put in my portion. Not foolproof but a start....
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Mostly I switch out high-calorie indulgences for low. Fiber One bars instead of brownies. Popcorn/popchips/veggie straws instead of potato chips.

Also, before I take something to eat, I log it. It sort of works as a last-second check: "Here's what this will cost me. Is it worth it?" And sometimes? It's "Send me the bill later and let me at that chocolate!" and sometimes, it's "You know? I think I'll try having one 90-calorie Fiber One brownie instead of two for now."

One other thing that's helped me is that as I've taken on strength training, particularly core workouts, my overall PMS issues have subsided. They still bug me to a degree, but I guess you could say I only want to eat "some of the things" instead of "all the things". I recognize now that for whatever reason, eating salty foods when I was cramping temporarily helped while I was waiting for the midol to kick in, or helped take care of what the midol wouldn't. Since I started tightening up my abdominal muscles, I find I have fewer cramps and they're less severe. This is something I do 5 days a week; I'm not suggesting you start (or that it's likely to help) for the first time when you're in the throes of PMS. But if you aren't already doing ab work, it might be worth it for you to look into it.
  • raraCoco
    raraCoco Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    @CydSteele I have been trying to drink more tea it does help a little bit! Thank you
    for the tips! @estherdragonbat I realize now after your answer that there was one month where I did step aerobics nearly every day and I barely noticed my PMS that month! Perhaps more core exercises will help during the month.
  • harleylaverne1720
    Options
    Ha,this is me and this is why I am here. I was looking for support. I am good all month until 5-7 days before and I blow it. I did cardio today but still went way past my calories,600🙄. Going to try and do so much better tomorrow.
  • raraCoco
    raraCoco Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    @harleylaverne1720 I'm usually over 600 Cals too sometimes up to 1000 ! Today Im trying super hard after two days of eating like a crazy person maybe its out of my system !
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    raraCoco wrote: »
    @harleylaverne1720 I'm usually over 600 Cals too sometimes up to 1000 ! Today Im trying super hard after two days of eating like a crazy person maybe its out of my system !

which may be maintenance or under, so not as big a deal as you think.
  • jesspen91
    jesspen91 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    Mostly I switch out high-calorie indulgences for low. Fiber One bars instead of brownies. Popcorn/popchips/veggie straws instead of potato chips.

Also, before I take something to eat, I log it. It sort of works as a last-second check: "Here's what this will cost me. Is it worth it?" And sometimes? It's "Send me the bill later and let me at that chocolate!" and sometimes, it's "You know? I think I'll try having one 90-calorie Fiber One brownie instead of two for now."

One other thing that's helped me is that as I've taken on strength training, particularly core workouts, my overall PMS issues have subsided. They still bug me to a degree, but I guess you could say I only want to eat "some of the things" instead of "all the things". I recognize now that for whatever reason, eating salty foods when I was cramping temporarily helped while I was waiting for the midol to kick in, or helped take care of what the midol wouldn't. Since I started tightening up my abdominal muscles, I find I have fewer cramps and they're less severe. This is something I do 5 days a week; I'm not suggesting you start (or that it's likely to help) for the first time when you're in the throes of PMS. But if you aren't already doing ab work, it might be worth it for you to look into it.

Fibre One bars are so good! How have they managed to make such a tasty brownie for 90 calories? Love their carrot cake bars too.
  • lin_be
    lin_be Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I give into the cravings and will eat at maintenance a couple of days during the month. It hasn’t hurt my progress. It just is what it is. Having my period is hard enough and not eating the food I crave is extra torture.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    jesspen91 wrote: »

Fibre One bars are so good! How have they managed to make such a tasty brownie for 90 calories? Love their carrot cake bars too.

I don't see the carrot cake bars in Toronto. Are they also 90 calories? (I don't usually look at the slightly-higher cal options). Because so far, it looks like my options are the brownie, chocolate chip, lemon, and cinnamon. All of which are amazing!