working out at night?

Options
What is everyones veiw on working out at night? I have been trying to work out in the morning or the middle of the day but with school starting back up and more babysitting kids that I normally have I don't know if I will be able to workout at naptime anymore and early in the morning my back is so stiff I don't feel like I am able to give my all to my workout. Do you think its ok to workout later in the evening. Say 9:00 or so?????

Replies

• servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I think it's fine!
    Yesterday I couldn't get myself out of the house at all for my walk/jog but I got a burst of energy around 8 pm and went out for an hour to walk and jog. It felt great! I'm pretty stiff in the mornings too, but nice limber in the evening. Some people are just like that.
  • KHaverstick
    KHaverstick Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    For me, it's work out at night, or probably not at all. I already wake up around 4:30 a.m. to make it to work by 6:30. Waking up earlier than that would mean too little sleep (plus I think I'd be much more likely to skip workouts). Afternoons after work are not an option, either, because my husband works evenings (til 11pm), and I have to keep up with a very active toddler. So my only hope is after she's in bed, usually around 8:00 or 8:30. Works for me!
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    The best time to exercise is at whatever time you will do it and keep doing it. If evening is the only time you know you can get it in on a regular basis - then do it then! I am not a morning person and I know I will probably never be one - so I don't plan my workouts for the morning. I am a workout-on-my-lunch-break kind of girl! Lol!
  • jbucci1186
    jbucci1186 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    my view- working out at 9pm, 11pm, 1am, etc is better than not working out at all!

though i think it's probably ideal to workout in the morning, but i just work out when i FEEL like it. as long as it's at least once a day, who cares!

:)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Work out when you can. I've read somewhere that different people actually do better working out in the evening opposed to the morning (and vice versa). I actually have a much easier time and get a better workout when I do it in the mid-afternoon or evening.

Plus, I have to be at work at 6:30, which means up at 4 to get in a workout and it's VERY RARE that I can drag myself out of bed that early.
  • kim_mc
    kim_mc Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Most of the time, if I don't workout at night, I won't get to at all! With three kids to chase around, I have to wait until they're in bed and my little guy is already usually up by 5-6am.

So I guess working out whenever you can is much better than not getting it done at all or not putting much effort into it!

I haven't heard anything wrong with working out at night either!
  • StellaBby10
    Options
    I always work out at night. Only time I can! Plus I always get a much better nights sleep right after a good workout!
  • char2009
    char2009 Posts: 68
    Options
    I work out every night. It's the only time I get to myself. I try to do a bit of cardio during the day if it is possible (even if its jogging in place in my kitchen) It's been working for me though :)
  • littleraab
    littleraab Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Ideally, from a metabolism perspective, working out in the morning is best because it raises your metabolism for the rest of the day...but if you are tired and stiff in the morning, you are not pushing yourself as hard as you probably should be. Time is also a crucial factor. I agree with everyone here...the best time to work out is whatever works in your schedule the best. I try to push myself to get up in the morning, but I am not a morning person and don't do regularly. When I work out at night, I do it more consistantly and I push myself harder. If night is what works best for you to get a workout in everyday, then go for it. :happy:
  • jah1165
    jah1165 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I ahve to get up so early in the morning just to get to work by 6 am.....the only way to get a workout in is to work out in the P.M. I ahve no problems with running at night or doing weights......The only problem I have found it to eat back enough calories since I am working out so late at night. You just have to figure that part out as you go because you can go to far down on claories and you might not be able to eat them back.....Good Luck
  • donnaeve8
    donnaeve8 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I definitely find it easier to get through my workouts in the evenings as opposed to the morning.
  • chloebelle777
    Options
    i say workout when you can too. i lost some of my most weight when I worked out at night, that was the only time I had to do it. i think it's perfectly fine :)
  • peggyalex
    peggyalex Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! also if I workout at night I won't be as tempted to have the evening munchies! ;)
  • fit4lyfeLisa
    fit4lyfeLisa Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Working out at night is better for me, and it also helps me to sleep better! I have a set time to workout in the evenings, which is 8:00 p.m., but no later than 9:00 p.m.
  • Tinks2007
    Tinks2007 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I workout in the evening after work usually as I know once I sit downthen thats it I wont be motivated, so its straight in from work get changed and get it done :) Tried working out in the morning at weekend but find I just dont have the same energy as i do late afternoon early evening, so just go with whatever you can, the fact that your doing it is what matters not really the time :)
  • ThierMummy3
    Options
    I find working out in the evening is best for me, some times i can feel drained after a workout and if i worked out in the morning that feeling would stay with me all day, plus i have 3 children so my workouts are around there timetable.