Water retention and the scale!

Options
Ok, I hate the scale this morning :( I'm just wondering how much of a role water retention plays in the number on the scale. I seem to have gained 4lbs since Friday according to the scale. I did have a few drinks over the weekend but I did exercise plenty and watched what I ate. My hubby is trying to convince me it's only water.. could he be right?

Replies

• 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Ok, I hate the scale this morning :( I'm just wondering how much of a role water retention plays in the number on the scale. I seem to have gained 4lbs since Friday according to the scale. I did have a few drinks over the weekend but I did exercise plenty and watched what I ate. My hubby is trying to convince me it's only water.. could he be right?

Water can play a huge role and is one reason the scale is not always a great measurer of fat loss success.

I ate 1600 calories one day and the next I was up four pounds because of increased sodium intake.
  • StaticCat
    Options
    Yes, people don't get fat overnight after all! =P... And I'm pretty sure you didn't eat for 14000 extra-calories in your weekend.

It may be due to many factors, but water is the most likely.

A liter of water is 2.2lbs after all ;-)
  • butterflimom
    Options
    He is most likely right. I have seen my scales go up as much at 4 pounds in a day due to water. My hubby tells me the same thing. Try cutting back on sodium. It's in almost everything and continue flushing out your body with lots of water, atleast 64 oz daily :)
    Good luck!
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    You might be taking in too much sodium. Try decreasing your sodium intake and drink plenty of water.
  • TheZabet
    Options
    Absolutely! Are you close to starting your period? That will make you retain water. So will ovulating for that matter. Did you eat any thing salty? (And by "salty" I don't mean "did you think it tasted salty" but rather "check the sodium intake in your diary.") It's very easy to retain water.

Also, have you weighed yourself before or after visiting the loo? You would be surprised how much weight that involves.
  • pope369
    pope369 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I am definately feeling the effects of increased sodium intake today. I consumes a staggering 5321mg of sodium yesterday and weighed in today two lbs heavier. :-|
  • Fitladyboo
    Options
    Yes, people don't get fat overnight after all! =P... And I'm pretty sure you didn't eat for 14000 extra-calories in your weekend.

It may be due to many factors, but water is the most likely.

A liter of water is 2.2lbs after all ;-)

I hadn't thought of it that way... thank you so much, I think I may just have to hide that scale for awhile :P
  • Fitladyboo
    Options
    Absolutely! Are you close to starting your period? That will make you retain water. So will ovulating for that matter. Did you eat any thing salty? (And by "salty" I don't mean "did you think it tasted salty" but rather "check the sodium intake in your diary.") It's very easy to retain water.

Also, have you weighed yourself before or after visiting the loo? You would be surprised how much weight that involves.

I did eat a bunch of potato chips last night :S (bad me!!!) I ended up weighing myself before and after going to the loo as I new it could make a difference but it only helped with a few oz .. hahah
  • dsak
    dsak Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    As others have said.... probably water retention.

Make sure to drink extra water... especially on days when your sodium intake is high. I also usually drink a cup of decaf green tea at night to help flush extra water/sodium out of my system. Oh sure... I might have to wake up 1 or 2 times in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom, but... I don't wake up with the extra "bloat"!
  • momburntdinner
    momburntdinner Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Salt does not cause your body to gain or lose fat. Salt has no calories. High consumption of salt only results in temporary weight gain as it causes your body to retain water. A diet high in salt content is typically associated with weight gain. The reason is that high levels of salt in our diets usually come from calorie dense, fiber poor, processed foods.
  • ScottInTheOC
    ScottInTheOC Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have had the same problem as most on here. I will fluctuate in weight up 4 pounds one day, then 4 pounds down, 2 up - well you get the idea. I did find that if I ate foods high in sodium my weight would go up. I also noticed that when I eat white rice or high carb intake I tend to hold weight.