Food quantity in bowl and cup

Options
How much is bowl and cup of rice, is this anywhere defined in this app ?

Replies

• Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I would never pick such an entry. entries are user created and some are useless like that.

usually you weigh rice raw then cook (if you add anything other than water measure and include that). scale much better than measuring cups.
  • namelesshere
    namelesshere Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    What size bowl? What size cup? Are they heaping or below the brim? As you can see, there is nothing better than using a food scale for accuracy, then choosing the entry in the database that matches the number of grams. If non do, create your own according to the label on the package. Make sure you include the grams in the serving size.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Another vote for a food scale.

I use the grams entry for "Rice, white, long-grain, regular, cooked, unenriched, with salt"

When I used cups I was always stressing about how tightly to pack the cup, plus then I had to wash them.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    A number of cookbooks will call for rice in cups. In that case, they mean measuring cups, which are meant to hold about 8 fl oz (US) or 10 fl oz (UK). I've gotten into the habit of weighing that stuff now, and you can Google "How many grams in 1 cup uncooked rice" etc to get the conversions. Uncooked weights are generally more accurate than cooked, since water contributes to the weight. And if you're making, say, a rice salad which calls for X amount of pre-cooked rice, some of that moisture evaporates as the leftovers age, so precision is going to suffer.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    mbashcool wrote: »
    How much is bowl and cup of rice, is this anywhere defined in this app ?

How? A bowl is not a standard measurement.
    An actual measuring cup might be used and there are entries for that but you might pack more rice in a cup than another person so it is a bit better than guessing.
    Are you wanting to log cooked rice or uncooked rice? Make sure the entry you choose matches what state of rice you measure.
    You should use a food scale if you can for the best accuracy in logging rice.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    You know, I bet it's like when you get a bowl of steamed rice at a restaurant. Really not helpful without a weight or cup amount or, at the very least, the name of the restaurant in question so you can maybe try to eyeball the serving and guess at the amount (something I am TERRIBLE at), but it's the only way I can see a "one bowl" measurement remotely making sense.