Cruise in 2 weeks

Options
Both my wife and I have been doing really well on MFP. over a month now. We are both worried about this cruise or should I say the weigh in after. We have never been on one and look to get any helpful hints. We are planning the stairs as much as possible, but hard to say NO to all the food. It is one reason to go on a cruise right? I hear people have gained 10 lbs on a 7 day cruise.

Replies

• robjakab
    robjakab Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The food is awesome! They do offer fitness facilities on the boat, most also have a huge track to run or walk. It's hard to be motivated on vacation. Stay strong, typically the more alcohol I drink the less I eat. Just think about how uncomfortable you'll feel everyday if your stuffing your face non-stop. They have plenty of clubs, piano bars, excursions, different things you can do to burn calories to make up that deficit. My advice would be don 't focus on losing weight, focus on maintaining your weight. Workout in the morning and don't over indulge every meal. Have Fun!
  • cindy0716
    cindy0716 Posts: 135
    Options
    Went on a 7 day cruise last month and only gained 2 pounds. I have been on others and gained over 5 pounds. It's just what you set your mind to. I didn't take the elevator all week, went for a few walks after dinner with my husband, and tried to make good choices with eating. I did eat dessert every night and had a few alcoholic beverages, that are loaded with calories. But there are soooo many different food choices that you can eat healthy if you choose to. Just because the food is there doesn't mean that you have to eat it. Enjoy yourself !!
  • barbiedollgirl
    barbiedollgirl Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Yes the food is GREAT on a cruise and they have ALOT of it!! But they also have alot of heathly food on there too. Just try to watch what you eat. And using the stairs are the best way to go anyway. Alot faster to get where you want to go!! Enjoy your cruise!! They are the BEST!! I cant wait to go on another one. :)
  • DawnOf1969
    DawnOf1969 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I've been on several 7-day cruises and I've never gained 10 pounds. Not even 5. But we never take the elevators, always the stairs. And we dont eat like it's a free for all either. You'll be ok!
  • lukeleia4
    lukeleia4 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I recently gained 5 pounds on a 4 day cruise, however, once I got home and back into my normal mfp routine I lost 7 pounds only 3 days later. Don't stress about it. Enjoy it!!! Eat what you want, do plenty of stairs and of course there's always a gym on board if you're feeling really guilty!
  • mdchica83
    Options
    You can gain weight while on a cruise. They have delicious food that's already paid for:) They should have some healthy food options. Watch your portion sizes. Luckily, on most cruises, it costs money to buy soda. In addition, take advantage of the fitness centers they have. Most cruise ships have "tracks" for you to walk/jog/run around. I hope you and your wife enjoy your cruise.
  • Hodar
    Hodar Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    The cruise is an opportunity to test yourself.

If you want hamburgers, hot dogs, pizza and ice cream and want endless quantities of these - you will gain weight.

But, if you want to eat healthy foods, veggies, lean meats, delicous fruit dishes, light and healthy eating - you will have ample opportunity to do this.

Every ship has a FANTASTIC gym in the top, front portion of the ship. Where you can look forward (directly above the Bridge) and see where the ship is going, while you use the treadmill. Every ship has a wet and a dry sauna (gender specific), there are whirlpools, massasues, a deck for jogging, and walking.

My wife and I either come off the trip a few pounds lighter, or maintain. We cruise often, and love it. Eat healthy, do some walking, relax - do you gym time, grab a ice cold book and sit down with your book and unwind. Save your calories for the evening meal - think a 4+ Star Resturant every night.

Everything is free - don't be afraid to try new foods. Be sensible, and enjoy.
  • charityateet
    charityateet Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I didn't gain any weight on my cruise, I thought the food was bland and so it didn't give me any excuse to pig out. Drink lots of water! When it comes to food, pick one "theme" there will be lots of choices, especially at the buffet - like mexican, american, chinese - just pick ONE thing and stick with it. Good luck, you'll do great!
  • CaleighAnn
    Options
    I went on a cruise this past march and I did manage to maintain my weight pretty well. There is a lot and I mean a lot of amazing food, deserts everything. The boat I was on even had a Ben and Jerrys Ice Cream Parlor. But the one thing that was always very helpful to me on cruises was the fact that most of the time they have a gym. So every morning my mom and I would go to the gym for at least a half an hour. One thing that is hard to avoid is the endless lunch and breakfast buffet. Just watch what you eat and I am sure you will be fine
  • gwcurtis
    Options
    Just decide what is important to you and your wife and do not allow yourself to feel guilty. If eating is what you want, do it and relax. You can loose later. If keeping the trend toward your weight goal is most important, go for it and ignore the less important food. The only bad thing that you can do is want to do both, and feel guilty. Life is too short for that. Enjoy!
  • frostiegurl
    frostiegurl Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    When I went on my cruise in January, I ate whatever and whenever I wanted, I used the gym and made sure to walk a LOT every chance I got. I had dessert every single night and even went crazy one night and ordered like 7 things from room service just because it was free. lol

the crazy thing is I actually lost a pound that week. Drink tons of water( bottled and buy it on shore as it's cheaper,because the ship water is disgusting) because the salty air will make you bloat.
  • apache539
    Options
    There is always fresh fruit available and I nooticed on my last few cruises that when I ate a lot of fruit for breakfast I didn't gain any weight during the cruise. There are also sugar free desserts. Take the stairs instead of the elevator.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    We cruise alot and I agree with all the advice you've been given. The only things I'll add are there is A LOT of food to choose from and while some of it is very good, some of it is just O.K. Give yourself permission to indulge but don't go overboard. And only eat stuff that is truly delicious. Taste it and if it's not wonderful, put it aside! You don't want to be in the clean plate club! I also try to eat in the MDR (that's main dining room!) for breakfast and lunch when possible vs. the buffet. Less temptation and the food is generally a little better AND it's more relaxing. Have fun! (and have you spent any time on Cruisecritic.com? It's the best website for all things cruising related!)