C25K

Options
Wow, I have always found the treadmill my nemesis. Today I did the first session of C25K and survived, nay almost enjoyed it!! I downloaded for free from itunes the NHS version and even though the music was a little cheesy, I did far more than I would have done and burned a lot of cals. Really important for me right now as the scale is not moving and trying to see this as more of a process rather than just about weight.
Of course I aint gonna be no olympic runner, but for me this is a real milestone :)))))
Anyone else giving it a go, please let me know, add me. There are another 8 weeks to go.

Replies

• dani_19
    dani_19 Posts: 1
    Options
    I started a similar running program and absolutely love running now!! Great job on starting-that's the hard part.
  • LoganScottsMom
    LoganScottsMom Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Good luck - awesome program
  • bookyeti
    bookyeti Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Way to go on completing your first day! You will love C25K -- it's fun, and easily becomes addictive! :-)
    I can't say that it gets easier, but it challenges you and as you reach those challenges you will find your body adjusts to it in amazing ways!

I graduated C25K in Dec. 2010 (on the treadmill, as it's easier on my joints) but had to stop due to surgery in Jan. 2011. Started up again in July (I'm now starting Week6), and though I don't run more than 1 or 2 days a week now, it sure feels great to get back into it. I'm sticking to the treadmill...not running outside.

Good mindset, as well, in doing this for the *process*, and not for just the end result of weight loss. My suggestion is to disregard the scale most of the time (if not completely), and go more by your measurements, how you feel, how your clothes fit. The scale lies, and it is an unreliable source of gauging your progress and makes for poor motivation.
  • Nhendrickson86
    Nhendrickson86 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I just did the Day 1/Week 1 of C25K this morning and I love it! I downloaded the free app on my Android and just used one of my exercise playlists that I already have on my phone. I did my run outside because I find that doing the treadmill makes me what to hang myself within the first 5 minutes. :grumble: It was quite a challenge but I really enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to making some serious progress with this and hopefully I'll be ready for my first 5K in October! :bigsmile:

Feel free to add me if you're looking for a little encouragement. . . .we've got a long road ahead of us. :wink:
  • Molly08
    Molly08 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    This program kills me... but I'm making it through!! I really want to be able to run someday, runners just look so happy!! Feel free to add me!
  • OneBryteSmile
    OneBryteSmile Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 9 and I just love this program! I ran for 3.1 mi (5K) this morning for the first time in my life and I owe it to the program for helping me become a runner. I use the podcasts from another website which has music that you actually hear on the radio so it really keeps me pumped. If you go to the link in my signature I have a bunch of links to different podcasts so you might be able to find something you like better. There are also tons of tips and helpful links.

You can definitely do this. Just pace yourself and listen to your body. You will be amazed at what you can accomplish each week.

Happy running and good luck to you!
  • mcmoosehall
    mcmoosehall Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Cheers for all your messages, I am going to go for it!!
  • MikeK51
    MikeK51 Posts: 317
    Options
    I will be on Day 3 tonight. I bought a pair of running shoes that I'm anxious to try out.
    I completed Power 90, and about 1/2 of Power 90 Masters Series, and needed a break from dvd's.
    I've used the treadmill so far, but hope to get outside tonight, as the humidity is low.
    I've never before run, but I'm up for the challenge of something new.

Good luck. Feel free to friend me if you'd like so we can support each other.

Mike
  • MikeK51
    Options
    Finished W1D3. Ran outside and really, really enjoyed it.

Tried a free iPhone app that told me when to walk and run while listening to my music.
    My new running shoes felt great! I hate having to take every other day off, but I'm not going to push it.

How's everyone else doing?
  • Nhendrickson86
    Nhendrickson86 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Finished W1D3. Ran outside and really, really enjoyed it.

Tried a free iPhone app that told me when to walk and run while listening to my music.
    My new running shoes felt great! I hate having to take every other day off, but I'm not going to push it.

How's everyone else doing?

Today is my day off from C25K, but I'm planning to do a Jillian Michaels DVD tonight. I'm considering starting the 30DS while doing the 30DS but I haven't totally decided yet. Like you said, I don't want to over do it but I just feel like I need something else to supplement on my off days. Tomorrow will be W1D2 for me, so I'll let you know how that goes.....

Also, since you mentioned running shoes. . . .do you have any suggestions for good shoes. I have a pair of sneakers that are not really made for running but they are the best and most comfortable fit until I'm able to get a suitable pair. There's a store by my job that specializes in running shoes, gets you fitted, etc. I just REALLY don't want to spend a small fortune on a pair of sneakers. Any suggestions for an affordable pair (around $50)?? Or is this a "you get what you pay for" kinda deal?? Any advise would be appreciated....
  • mandeiko
    mandeiko Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Onto my second week! Starting today! Whoop whoop!:glasses:
  • trini14
    trini14 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I'm off to the gym W1D2.......:)
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Also, since you mentioned running shoes. . . .do you have any suggestions for good shoes. I have a pair of sneakers that are not really made for running but they are the best and most comfortable fit until I'm able to get a suitable pair. There's a store by my job that specializes in running shoes, gets you fitted, etc. I just REALLY don't want to spend a small fortune on a pair of sneakers. Any suggestions for an affordable pair (around $50)?? Or is this a "you get what you pay for" kinda deal?? Any advise would be appreciated....
    It's "you get what you pay for" to a point. I wouldn't spend more than about $125 for a pair of shoes. I'd suggest going to the running store and having them judge your gait/stride when you're ready for new shoes. I went the first few months of running in cross trainers and had no problems until I started running over 4 miles. I went to Roadrunner Sports and they watched me run, checked my foot shape and arch and recommended one of 4 different pairs of shoes. The best part is that they have a 90 day guarantee! The shoes I bought 2.5 weeks ago aren't going to work out because my right knee is starting to hurt (I had the same problem with my original pair of running shoes before the cross trainers). I will be taking them back the next time I make it up to the Phoenix area and buying a different pair for only the price difference.
  • IH8NYY
    IH8NYY Posts: 60
    Options
    I'm considering the C25K approach.
  • AquaFan
    AquaFan Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I love C25k. I completed it last year and went from hating to run to running 30+ minutes and not only loving it, but craving it. Unfortunately I got lazy so now I am repeating the program and am on week 4. The app I use allows me to play music from my ipod, which makes it more enjoyable. Have fun! :)
  • MikeK51
    Options

I'm the farthest from an expert. The most I ever paid for sneakers before was about $35. But I read so much about people getting hurt from running, and I wanted to make sure to protect myself (pay now or pay later). So I went to a place where the guy was able to see how I run and recommend a good pair. I paid $105 plus got really good insoles for an additional $25, and even a pair of running socks $12. Knowing I spent all that money is also a motivator to stick with the program.
  • MikeK51
    Options
    W2D1 done.
  • MikeK51
    Options
    W2D3 done. Where did everyone go?
  • mandeiko
    mandeiko Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    W2D3 done. Where did everyone go?

I will be doing w2d3 tonight. Hold me accountable!