mitral valve prolapse

Options
I have mitral valve prolapse witch make exercise difficult. I can do the stationary bike for an hour with no problem, but I really miss running. Running increases my heart rate too much. And any incline will make me short of breath and dizzy. so my exercise is limited to what I can do and gets boring. Is anyone else in my boat?

Replies

• nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    I have it but haven't had any issues with it hindering my exercise.

That said, I have a dr appt next week where I am going to discuss my heart and its issues. I've been having "irregular heartbeats". I'm not real certain how to describe it or if its because of the MVP, but I plan to have her check it out. I am usually ok but I did have about a week a few months ago where I did get light headed every time I stood up...that went away though.
  • NicoleYates
    Options
    i have a mitral valve prolapse too... and, i'm seriously considered "morbidly obese" was recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism... and i have fertility issues...

but, even after the lightest activity, my heart is POUNDING and feels like it's skipping beats... so, yeah, i'm in the same boat!
  • chantihayes
    Options
    Not the same boat, but similar. I have pectoralis excavatum and also have to be careful of increasing my heart rate too much. However,I can use the elliptical for about 30min and can walk at a fast slight incline on the treadmill.. however, running is something I have not done in many years.. aside from very short not-so-fast spurts..To compensate, I do leg lifts, free weights, and wii fit boxing.
    Just take it easy, and do what you can handle, and don't feel 'bad' about it. I am going to attempt p90x tonight, but i wont be surprised if I dont make it and wont be hard on myself either. and you shouldnt be either :)
  • RILEYRED
    RILEYRED Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I HAVE MITRAL STENOSIS, HAD A VALVE REPAIR IN 1990, BUT I HAVE LEAKAGE, AND WILL EVENTUALLY HAVE TO HAVE VALVE REPLACEMENT. IT DOES MAKE THINGS HARDER, I PUSHED TOO HARD LAST WEEK, AND ENDED UP WITH AN ANGINA ATTACK. THE WEIGHT HAS TO COME OFF FOR BETTER HEALTH, BUT IT'S A STRUGGLE. BEING PUSHED AND ENCOURAGED BY THE PEOPLE I HAVE BEFRIENED HERE REALLY HELPS. GOOD LUCK, RED:flowerforyou:
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with an asymptomatic mitral valve prolapse about 16 years ago. I have not had an issue with it so far, but as soon as I hit the high 170's for heart rate, I only maintain it for a few minutes at most and then let it drop back into the 160's or 150's. I have been at this weight loss for a year now, and I didn't hit the high heart rate right away, but gradually increased my endurance. I have been on the treadmill this winter and just starting to run outside the last few weeks.

I'd suggest talking with your doctor and work out a safe, endurance building plan if they agree. I know you can train your lungs to be stronger, so I am assuming you can train your heart, but that definitely needs a doctor stamp of approval!
  • cindyrey
    cindyrey Posts: 53
    Options
    I'd like to know how that goes, I have heard alot of good things about the p90x.
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options

That said, I have a dr appt next week where I am going to discuss my heart and its issues. I've been having "irregular heartbeats". I'm not real certain how to describe it or if its because of the MVP, but I plan to have her check it out. I am usually ok but I did have about a week a few months ago where I did get light headed every time I stood up...that went away though.

I was diagnosed with MVP after my thyroid "died". It is fairly common. Some palpitations occur at night when one lies down and pressure from the abdominal area pushes into the chest cavity. For that reason and many others I need to lose weight and never eat late at night because it makes it worse. I will have them during the day sometimes too but usually related to activity.

Exercising in a lower heart rate is effective and safe even with MVP. One additional thing is that if you are on blood pressure medications like I am, you need to closely monitor your BP as you lose weight. It is going to improve that and you can end up with orthostatic hypotension (light headed when standing) or just feeling weak because your BP is too low.
  • DoReMiFaSoLaTiDo
    Options
    I was diagnosed with MVP before I was 18 yrs old... I have the occasional pain that makes me thinks I am having a heart attack...pain so bad I cant walk or talk thru it...it lasts maybe 90 seconds and then I may not get it again for a year.. I also have heart palps a lil more frequently than that.....

I also discovered my allergy to penicillin and have to be sure to take a different antibiotic before dental visits...

MVP has NEVER inhibited my ability to exercise....
  • cindyrey
    cindyrey Posts: 53
    Options
    I am on propanol witch helps with the palpitations and the low blood pressure. so I do make sure I have meds before workout. My doctor said just don't push too hard.
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options

I was diagnosed with MVP after my thyroid "died". It is fairly common. Some palpitations occur at night when one lies down and pressure from the abdominal area pushes into the chest cavity. For that reason and many others I need to lose weight and never eat late at night because it makes it worse. I will have them during the day sometimes too but usually related to activity.

Exercising in a lower heart rate is effective and safe even with MVP. One additional thing is that if you are on blood pressure medications like I am, you need to closely monitor your BP as you lose weight. It is going to improve that and you can end up with orthostatic hypotension (light headed when standing) or just feeling weak because your BP is too low.

I've had my thyroid checked as it seems to be a common issue in my family and thankfully that's been ok, for the most part.

My blood pressure is always on the low side and I guess I've never really associated that with MVP.

So, the palpitations are somewhat common then? I haven't had an issue with them until very recently. Really, since I started the shred I've noticed them more often, most nights.

I got diagnosed in high school and haven't had any of this looked at since then, so its been a good 14-15 years. I'd say its about time.

My dad also had MVP and had his valve replaced about 5 years ago. However, he's got severe sleep apnea and is a heavy smoker so I'm not sure how that plays into his valve failure. It does weight on my mind a bit at times.
  • tsarperknip
    Options
    [waves] I have MVP (without regurgitation) as well and it definitely hinders my exercising.

I think someone already said it's hard to tell sometimes what's the MVP and what's just being out of shape, but I definitely get the really uncomfortable/scary heart pounding if I walk/run/bike too fast. I also find that if I overdo exercise of any sort, the fatigue sets in and I am completely WIPED OUT and useless for the rest of the day. It doesn't happen as often or as severely since I moved to NYC and basically have to walk everywhere (although it probably took me a year to adjust).

I would like to be in better shape, cardio-wise and I've been thinking of getting a heart rate monitor -- do any of you have one?