Alcohol addiction

Options
andysport1
andysport1 Posts: 592 Member
edited April 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
I’ve been on mfp for years, given up trying to lose weight.
I need to kick the alcohol any suggestions?

Replies

• 1BlueAurora
    1BlueAurora Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I log as accurately as possible. If there's room in my calorie allowance for the day, I log in one glass of red wine, drink it and stop. That was a reduction in drinking for me. If that's something you can do, try it. If one drink always leads to another and another, I think you should try counseling or AA.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    I stopped my nightly social drinking and I've lost almost all my weight and feel so much better on every level. Drinking ..if you're not an alcoholic...is a bad habit..and you simp[ly have to break it like any habit.

At first, IT will be hard..seem boring..all that. i pushed through...now it is easy..and I don't miss it at all.
  • Fivepts
    Fivepts Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I am a food and sugar addict. I think we think the same. It seems that abstinence is the only path for me, even the slightest opportunity I give to the addictive thinking results in a crash. It helps to have lots of support and I pray a lot too.
  • Fivepts
    Fivepts Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    You need a support group of real people.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options

nvmd. not my hulahoop
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    andysport1 wrote: »

What and how much do you usually drink?
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    go to AA, I go to ALanon, I am a codependent. I know I need help with that as much as my food addiction. My exhusb was an alcoholic and now have 2 adult children that are.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Depending on where you live and how severe the drinking is, there are detoxification centres that could be an option. For that, I would look at starting with your primary doctor or a nurse call centre that provides information about community resources. I know that there are circumstances under which medically supervised detoxification may not be preferable, but it is the safest (in my opinion).

If you feel that it has not yet reached this level, then certainly organizations such as AA could be a great option for you. There are also non-12 step programs that may be a better fit. Some searching for organizations near you and/or online resources would be a great place to start.

Good for you for recognizing this might be a problem. I had a moment about 12 years ago that showed me how close to the edge I was. All the best to you.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Darn. Just realized this is yet another necro thread. :D
  • andysport1
    andysport1 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    andysport1 wrote: »

What and how much do you usually drink?

Well, I used to drink a lot, every day, beer, spirit and liquors.
    Since July 12th 2019 I'm alcohol free

I took a sip of beer in October and didn't like it, then Christmas took a sip of several drinks and to my delight I found them all sickly.

Oh happy days.