Can't get rid of the hungry!

davidpm
davidpm Posts: 208 Member
So I've been keeping my calorie count in line for the last month or so and it's been fairly easy. However, over the last two days I haven't been able to get rid of my hunger. Today I ate an egg white omelette (4 eggs) with turkey and salsa and after I was done, I was still starving. I waited about 2 hours then had a fiber one bar... still hungry.

The only thing that I think that might have changed is that I'm on day 8 of working out 6 days a week and I've lost some weight in the last 10 days or so.

Has this ever happened to anyone? I don't want to eat too much to get rid of the hunger and cause myself to go over my calorie count but I feel as though I need to respond to my body.

Any thoughts?

Replies

• I know how tough it is to reign in what we think is hunger when we're used to eating more... it takes adjustment.

What I've taught myself to do is to differentiate between actual hunger and "bored" hunger. I was a grazer, would eat throughout the day thinking I was hungry, when all I needed to do was distract myself with something else. Like cleaning the house, or going for a walk... you know, something active.

Keep as active as possible!
  • cvaneaton
    cvaneaton Posts: 154
    Are you drinking enough water..I usually have an herbal tea or a glass of water before I look for a piece of fruit or some nuts...:wink:
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    How are you on water? I read an article that suggested that many dieters out there confuse the body's thirst response with hunger.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,552 Member
    I looked at your diary and you are eating less than I am and I'm a woman who weighs 138 lbs.! Don't know your stats but I think that's it in a nutshell. If you're working out (I didn't see anything entered for exercise) that much, you need to be fueling your body. The food choices look good and healthy but I think you need some more. If you don't want to increase the quantity, you can easily add calories and GOOD fats by changing out your fat free cheese for regular cheese, egg whites for a whole egg or two. It may be true that you're not really hungry and just need to do something to take your mind off it, but I think it's not enough food for your body.
  • LivLovLrn
    LivLovLrn Posts: 580 Member
    I have days like that where I just seem to be hungry for no reason. It looks like you are eating good food. When I am hungry, but know I don't NEED food, I and remind myself I have eaten plenty, I do not need to eat more to survive and I do whatever I can to distract myself until the next meal.
  • atabt
    atabt Posts: 58 Member
    I took a look at the last 2 days in your food diary (sorry, probably not very thorough :) ) and I noticed that you are eating a lot of protein but are a little bit light on the carbs. Perhaps your body needs more energy from the carbs and that is why you are getting the hungry feeling?

Maybe some high fibre carbs like fruit or veggies would help to curb the hunger? I also find that having a little bit of fat (hummus or yogurt dip) helps to keep me feeling full. Just a suggestion - best of luck!
  • debswebby
    debswebby Posts: 326
    The feeling you get when you're hungry is the same as you get when you're really thirsty apparently. When I'm feeling really hungry at a time when I shouldn't be, I have some water or a cup of tea or coffee. It usually does the trick
  • Try eating stuff high in fiber whenever you get hungry. A lot of oats, or whole wheat products, plus fruit and veggies.

I find that I would get really hungry when I don't have enough carbs/fiber, so I would really increase my fiber and things would work out.

Plus if you go a little overboard on the fiber its not a bad thing, you'll just have a clean colon :)