Fitbit calories burned from steps is inconsistent

Options
I have had a Fitbit versa for about a month now and have my steps linked to MFP to see calorie burn. However yesterday I walked 16,627 steps with 998 calories burned but today I walked 12,460 steps with 289 calories burned. How exactly are calories burned by steps calculated, as there is clearly a difference in calorie burn. I don't eat back much of the calories burned from steps so I am not worried about it, I am simply curious!

Replies

• autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    The Fitbit adjustment is an accounting of how many more (or fewer) steps you took than are accounted for in your self-reported activity level. You'll find that the time of day that you accrue those steps will also have an effect. If you are especially active in the morning, but sedentary all afternoon, you may find that your Fitbit will also SUBTRACT some of those adjustment calories! I find that the math tends to work out pretty reasonably. Unless you're misusing the product by cheating at challenges by swinging your arm off the end of the couch while you watch TV, or something.

Good luck.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    It also depends on how those steps were accrued.
    So if you were climbing stairs with an elevated hr you would use more calories than if you were walking on the level.
    Similarly you'll burn more calories power walking than ambling along at 2mph.
    It's not just steps but a combination of steps, intensity and hr
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    It’s not calculated based on your steps. It is a calorie burn comparison. So yesterday your Fitbit calorie burn was 998 calories higher than what MFP thought you would burn based on your activity level selection and today your Fitbit calorie burn is only 298 calories higher so far (though that could still change). What you were doing when you got the steps will determine how many calories you get for those steps.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    It’s not calculated based on your steps. It is a calorie burn comparison. So yesterday your Fitbit calorie burn was 998 calories higher than what MFP thought you would burn based on your activity level selection and today your Fitbit calorie burn is only 298 calories higher so far (though that could still change). What you were doing when you got the steps will determine how many calories you get for those steps.

This. If you click on your Fitbit adjustment you can see the math. Your step count is incidental and not a part of the math.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    They are all wonky. Same steps for me as yesterday and no bonus. 180 for the same steps. It's kinda nuts.