Gained weight for no reason?

Options
Hi all!

I have started the new year off by starting my diet again, and I just wanted some advice really.

I am counting calories (1200-1300 a day) and exercising daily (Jillian Micheals 30 Day Shred). I have had a really successful start to the year by going from 14st 7Ibs to 13st 11Ibs.

However, over the weekend I have gained 2Ibs back for no reason at all - I have done exactly what I have been doing. Also, it isn't that time of the month...

I know that weight fluctuates a lot, but it is very disheartening when you think you have done everything right!

If anyone could give me some advice or guidance that would be fab!

Thanks in advance xo

Replies

• chlojwx
    chlojwx Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Look at the trend and don't pin your happiness on the number that a simple weight measuring device spits out on any particular day. Maybe a weight trending app would help you?

Keep a long term view in mind - you could still be thinking.....
    "I have had a really successful start to the year by going from 14st 7Ibs to 13st 13Ibs and there's a good chance I'm about to fluctuate down by another couple of pounds as well."

Thank you! I know that I shouldn't be worried about the number on the scale, but it is such a hard process - I will just keep doing what I am doing x
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,064 Member
    Options
    chlojwx wrote: »
    1o83v4rum7yz.jpg

Thanks for this! It is so hard not to freak out! I will just keep doing what I am doing! x

You just have to try and look at the bigger picture (I know it's hard when you're not used to it, I used to rage quit all the time because I didn't understand my fluctuations)

This is how the first 6 months of my weight loss went....g7mldvjde7jn.jpg
  • chlojwx
    Options
    1o83v4rum7yz.jpg

Thanks for this! It is so hard not to freak out! I will just keep doing what I am doing! x

You just have to try and look at the bigger picture (I know it's hard when you're not used to it, I used to rage quit all the time because I didn't understand my fluctuations)

This is how the first 6 months of my weight loss went....g7mldvjde7jn.jpg

Ah that is crazy - well done though you have done amazingly! I am not used to exercising everyday either, but I try and go on how I feel and not what the scale says xx
  • Raysie1
    Raysie1 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately the 10lb you have lost in 3 weeks was not all fat loss. Nor have you gained 2lb of fat. People do often see large losses at the start of a new healthy eating programme, I also know I have been "paid in advance" and expect a small gain a couple of weeks later.
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    No need to panic. What you're seeing is normal as other posters have already explained. Keep going! :)
  • chlojwx
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Hi all!

I have started the new year off by starting my diet again, and I just wanted some advice really.

I am counting calories (1200-1300 a day) and exercising daily (Jillian Micheals 30 Day Shred). I have had a really successful start to the year by going from 14st 7Ibs to 13st 11Ibs.

However, over the weekend I have gained 2Ibs back for no reason at all - I have done exactly what I have been doing. Also, it isn't that time of the month...

I know that weight fluctuates a lot, but it is very disheartening when you think you have done everything right!

Thanks in advance xo

Is your period due in two weeks or so? Many women retain water at ovulation as well as premenstrually.

When did you start the exercise?

Without going into too much detail, I don't have a regular period due to the contraceptive I am on, but finished my last one about 2-weeks ago.

I started exercising daily from the 2nd January, and before that I never did any x
  • chlojwx
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Hi all!

Thanks in advance xo

There you go...body weight fluctuates...you know that, so I'm not sure what else you're looking for. It's normal and natural. Your body is comprised of 55-65% water and that will always fluctuate naturally for no particular reason and can be exacerbated by hormones, sodium, carbohydrates, etc. You're also going to have varying degrees of food and inherent waste in your system.

This is what weight loss looks like when plotted on a graph...note the red line...that's the overall trend...that's what you want to be looking at...

weighttrendgraph1.gif

Thanks so much - it is just annoying when you are trying your hardest, but I definitely need to look at the bigger picture. x
  • namelesshere
    namelesshere Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Weight fluctuates as does scales and the way you stand on them. To show you how much, weigh yourself right after eating your final meal for the day. Then weigh yourself right before bed, then if you get up in the middle of the night to pee off that water, weigh yourself again, finally, weigh yourself after your morning pee. I will bet that even though you have not had any intake, even with all those bathroom trips, you did not have a steady decline in weight for the night. You may even had an increase! That is just the way your body works. Keep at it, over the long term you will have success.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    use an app such as Happy Scales to track your weight it gives you the funky graph like the above.