Blood Donation

Options
Hi folks, I am going to be donating blood tomorrow (I am a veteran blood donor), but it's my first time having to document it in MFP. Is there some way to track blood donation on this site? I assume that I will have to track the calories (is it considered calories burned, like exercise?). Please advise. Thanks so much!

Replies

• jen31889
    jen31889 Posts: 121
    Options
    Check the red cross site. I think it says you can burn over 600 calories.
  • lilybug13
    lilybug13 Posts: 154
    Options
    Whenever I have donated, I have not counted it as anything because it is not really burning anything that won't naturally come back in a few days. I usually work out first thing in the morning to get some extra calories, and then drink A LOT of water though.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    I forget the actual number but I think it takes about 600 calories for your body to replenish the lost blood supply. However, it is done over the course of about 6 weeks, so there is no need to log it since it is only a few calories a day.
  • willow3eb
    willow3eb Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I've given blood twice since using this site and have never logged it. I don't think it really makes much of a difference in the day to day.
  • livi_cowgirl
    livi_cowgirl Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Does it really burn calories? I didn't know that. I mean, I can understand why you might need to eat more than usual that day but gosh, that's astonishing. I have given blood once and haven't had the chance to do it again although I always wanted to but now I REALLY want to. LOL!
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I'm a regular blood donor too. Keep up the good work.

I never count it as anything, however I do of course give myself a well deserved day off of exercise for the day following.
  • Marig0ld
    Marig0ld Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I just donated last week. I didn't log it as activity, but I did work out BEFORE donating blood because you need to rest afterwards! I worked out the next morning with a little less intensity, but I was back to normal in about 2 days.

So if I were you I wouldn't log it as extra activity, but take it easy and don't worry if you go a bit over your cals for that day. Your body needs them. Good luck and thanks for donating!
  • WiiFitFan
    WiiFitFan Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Thank you to you all for donating blood! I have had the need for blood transfusions in the past and I can't thank you all enough for your thoughtful donations. You are truly saving lives!!