Cold Fingers Solution?

Options
What do you guys do to keep your fingers warm when outside in the frigid temps? I can't seem to find any gloves that keep my fingers from going numb.

Replies

• musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    Get some hand warmers - they are usually in the sporting goods section of stores. Put those in the gloves.
  • iowalinda
    iowalinda Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    musicfan68 wrote: »
    Get some hand warmers - they are usually in the sporting goods section of stores. Put those in the gloves.

Are there any that you can use more than once or are they all single use?
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    iowalinda wrote: »
    musicfan68 wrote: »

Are there any that you can use more than once or are they all single use?

They make reusable ones! My husband could tell you how they work; my eyes glazed over while he was taking though, so I can't :lol:
  • SarahLascelles1
    SarahLascelles1 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    You can get USB rechargeable hand warmers.

You can also get gloves with built in heating packs, but the rechargeable ones are pricy, cheaper ones that take batteries are available.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,870 Member
    Options
    Wear those terry wrist bands that tennis players wear. Make sure they cover your pulse points.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Mittens are the answer. My hands tend to get cold really quickly, too (anything below 50F and gloves are mandatory for me) and I had a heck of a time finding any glove that could keep them warm while running (short of massive technical ski gloves or something like that). No issues with cold hands since I got mittens and my runs are generally about an hour (or more) in sub 20F temps with a slight breeze.

If you get the ones with flip down tops the compromise for touchscreen capability or dexterity when you need it isn't that big a deal.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    There are usb plug in reusable hand warmers made by Zippo- I have two for when I walk in the cold. They ARE AWESOME! And they work as a portable power bank in the warm months. I have the 6 hour one.

https://www.amazon.com/Zippo-6-Hour-Silver-Rechargeable-Warmer/dp/B075SJB7N1
  • iowalinda
    iowalinda Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Is this "normal cold hands" or an inappropriate response to cold stimulus?

I have Raynaud's and as the years pass the temperature at which my hands switch off has risen year by year.
    Used to suffer only in the winter months but now I'm having episodes of bloodless hands even indoors and all year round (I have to wear gloves when using an indoor exercise bike as the fan I need to stop overheating switches my hands off).
    Outdoor rides I can just about tolerate 8C. On a cold ride I couldn't reschedule I had to watch my hand close over my drink bottle as couldn't feel a thing. The pain when the blood comes back can be quite spectacular.

Went to my Doctor years ago (frozen hands on a short motorcycle commute despite good gloves, heated handlebar grips and keeping hands out of the wind flow). Her advice sounded obvious "don't let them get cold" but what she really meant was keep them warm. As soon as my hands or wrists sense cold the blood switches off and no amount of insulation from good gloves works.

I bring my gloves indoors, I put the warm gloves on before I step outside, I try to ensure I don't take the gloves off in the cold, I try really hard to avoid cold contact with metal (wear weight lifting gloves) as that's an instant switch off.

On the plus side it can be mildly entertaining seeing people's reaction when they shake hands with a corpse or having one white hand and one pink hand.

Wow, something I never thought of! Thank you for sharing your experience.
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,842 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    My husband gets cold hands too, especially when we're cross country skiing. Gloves didn't work. So he tried the lobster style ones. Didn't work either. Tried mitts. Nope. But mitts and handwarmers seem to do the trick. I checked out the zippo rechargeable handwarmers but it doesn't look like they'd fit in a mitten. Good idea, but not practical for activities like skiing and snowshoeing where you use poles. Boo :(
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,461 Member
    Options
    Here’s a million dollar idea for someone then. How about poles that have heaters built into the handles?!
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Here’s a million dollar idea for someone then. How about poles that have heaters built into the handles?!

the poles are on the way
    https://magnetude.ca/product/heated-carbon-ski-poles/

and here's the patent for heated ski pole grips
    https://patents.google.com/patent/US20030168845A1/en

• ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,842 Member
    Options

the poles are on the way
    https://magnetude.ca/product/heated-carbon-ski-poles/

and here's the patent for heated ski pole grips
    https://patents.google.com/patent/US20030168845A1/en

It looks like the magnetude.ca poles are for downhill skiing, which you could also use for snow shoeing. Not ideal, but possible :) We mostly cross country ski so need an awesome company to make a heated version of those for my husband! LOL