How many calories per day do you consume?

Options
salmaih18
salmaih18 Posts: 3 Member
edited January 2019 in Getting Started
Hey ladies and gents! I’ve been wondering what’s everyone’s calories intake? I’ve been on mfp for a while and switching accounts. Each time I tried to lose weight, it’s a success the first month and then I regain everything times two. I believe it’s because I cut a lot and consume 1,400kcal per day and then go back to regular eating and then gain it all. So I’m thinking, maybe if I eat 1,800kcal and exercise lightly like 3 times/week then I can lose weight steadily and for the long run. What do you guys think/recommend? Thank you in advance!! (Also I just started 10 days ago and I’ve went from 173.4 lbs to 169.6 lbs which is a lot for just 10 days?)

Replies

• zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    What does MFP give you for calories when you enter in your info? Are you setting your goal target for a 1lb loss per week?

As for my calorie target-I'm currently at 1,400 calories a day, give or take. I'm a few years into maintenance and am currently working on getting to the lower end of the healthy BMI range (vanity lbs). I have my target set at .5lb per week, since I'm already at a lower weight.

When I'm not losing my maintenance calorie intake is around 1,600 calories a day. I have no problem with these numbers because I've figured out what foods make me feel full, longer (this will vary between people).
  • arobertp7111
    arobertp7111 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    2790 calories. And I am still loosing weight.
  • salmaih18
    salmaih18 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    What does MFP tell you to eat? What data did you enter and what is your goal?

Your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) is established largely by your height and weight, and to a lesser degree your age.

Are you weighing your food on a scale?

My water weight alone fluctuates ~5 lbs throughout the day. Think in terms of months over a matter of days.

My mfp says to consider 1,430kcal which I’ve been doing, but my BMR says to maintain is 2200kcal while to lose weight is 1800kcal. Also I use measuring cups and spoons because I haven’t gotten the scale just yet, do you think it’s accurate as well? (The cups and spoons)

• zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    salmaih18 wrote: »
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    What does MFP tell you to eat? What data did you enter and what is your goal?

Your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) is established largely by your height and weight, and to a lesser degree your age.

Are you weighing your food on a scale?

My water weight alone fluctuates ~5 lbs throughout the day. Think in terms of months over a matter of days.

My mfp says to consider 1,430kcal which I’ve been doing, but my BMR says to maintain is 2200kcal while to lose weight is 1800kcal. Also I use measuring cups and spoons because I haven’t gotten the scale just yet, do you think it’s accurate as well? (The cups and spoons)

Cups and spoons are notorious for not being accurate-you really should get a food scale (they're under $20 and you can get them pretty much everywhere). You'll be shocked once you start measuring out serving sizes. I'm 5+ years into maintenance and I still use mine to spot check and I'm still surprised sometimes :p
  • mgookin
    mgookin Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I am 5'7 and currently 325 pounds. I am consuming anywhere between 1700-2200 calories a day. I do not work out. I am a SAHM, and my only source of moving around is cleaning, cooking, walking dogs, etc. MFP has my calorie goal set as 2,090. I do weigh everything with a food scale with an exception of some things, like cooking spray, spices, and the occasional time I forget to create my own recipe I use a generic one. But because I have plenty of wiggle room to work with, I don't stress out to much about it, Its something I will worry about later when my calorie goal becomes more restrictive.
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    My Fitbit says I burn about 3000 and I eat 2400 a day
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    If you end up gaining everything back, why not continue to count all your calories but at a higher goal once you've lost the weight? Counting, but for maintenance and not losing? I'm always surprised how even things that look healthy can add up. For example, I searched Taziki's vegetable plate this week... and it was 900 calories! I have a fairly inactive job, so that would wreck my day.
  • hollyyannexo
    hollyyannexo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I live quite a sedentary life, mostly I paint whilst sitting down all day. I consume between 1200-1300 calories a day and burn around 300 on the elliptical 6 days a week. The foods I eat are highly nutrient packed, extremely clean. It works for me and I feel good but days where I feel a bit more sluggish I’ll up my calories by another 100 or 200. And days where I’m even more active I’ll obviously up them more. I basically just try my best to listen to my body and what it needs. I also drink 3+ litres of water a day along with green tea.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7 and pretty active; I currently eat an average of around 1700 kcal, on which I'm losing a few extra vanity pounds at a healthy rate.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    I NET the number mfp tells me to. So I eat my exercise calories. I lose/gain/maintain as expected.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,442 Member
    Options
    About 1500. Female, nearly 45, 61is kg. Just trying to get rid of a bit depression and international move weight. My TDEE without sport is about 1750, thus I have a daily deficit of about 250, plus all sport that I do, which accounts for about 160-220kcal daily. If I do a bit more sport then I also eat a bit more. This works for me. slow and steady wins the race.
  • chrisjcullen74
    chrisjcullen74 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My calories per day are 2,031
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    OP, it really makes no difference what anyone else's calories are... few, if any, of those people are going to have your exact stats, activity level, age, and gender. :)

Fill out your profile accurately, set your weekly weight loss goal for no more than 1 lb/week (based on your current weight), and log as accurately as you can. Yes, people often sabotage themselves by choosing a goal that is too aggressive, end up undereating, and then tend to go nuts & gain it all back. Or they view weight loss as a short-term project and they can go back to "normal" when they're done. That's not the way it works. Weight management requires a sustainable lifestyle and constant commitment, though the actual calories involved will be more generous in maintenance than in the loss phase.