Can you describe C25K for me?

Options
I'm thinking about doing it, but I'm not much of a runner at all. Can you tell me your struggles and successes with this program?

How does it work and what have your results been?

Replies

• NaomiLyn15
    NaomiLyn15 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Molly08
    Molly08 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    It's a run/walk program. It was really hard for me (still is) and I had to do week1 for a month before I could move on. But I'm happy with my progress and am looking forward to someday completing the program! I run outside, but have recently been told it's easier on your joints to run on a treadmill or trail (softer ground)... just a little fyi
  • Run4UrHealth
    Run4UrHealth Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I am only on Week 2 so cannot say much about it right now. I do not that I never knew I could run a minute much less off and on for 20 minutes. Each week prepares you for the next with no huge jumps! I could not tell a difference going from Week 1 to Week 2! I am doing it on the treadmill because of Alabama heat and hills in my neighborhood! :)
  • tlems
    tlems Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    In my experience, it just helps you build your endurance for running. It has been working for me. Are you planning on running on a treadmill or the road? I found out yesterday, that the treadmill seems a bit more challenging because it forces you to keep a pace. I never really realized how much my walking or jogging pace was varying until yesterday.

Good luck to you.
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Hi! C25K stands for Couch to 5K and it is a program that helps you to build up your running so that in 9 weeks you can run/jog 5K. I was never a runner but it has done wonders for me. Later today I am running 25mins without stopping (plus 5 min warm up walk and 5 min cool down walk) for the first time ever. I am in week 6. It starts very gradually with interval training, so you walk some and then you jog some and then you walk again. There are apps for phones (free) which tell you when to run too. And the NHS ( not sure where you are based ) http://www.nhs.uk/LiveWell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx has podcasts you can download too. Hope that helps!
  • lgav23
    lgav23 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I am starting week 5 today...and its been very hard for me. The breathing part is the worst, I lose my breath before my muscles get tired. I have never been a runner, but almost every weight loss story I read, they say they ran...lol
    I thought I would try it and here I am starting week 5...It is hard, but worth it. There is something about accomplishing something really hard that makes you feel a really good about yourself :)
    Good Luck, and don't give up..push through it!!
  • becky_turcotte
    Options
    If you want to start a running program. Its a great start. If you have a smart phone, there are apps that you can get to help. Also google Couch to 5K and there are pod cast that will help as well. I have repeated each week, just for my own comfort. It's not eazy by any means, but totally worth it.
  • lgav23
    lgav23 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    and I definately think running outdoors is way harder than on a treadmill ;)
  • erisfreenici
    erisfreenici Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I'm starting week 6 this week, and it feels amazing. I had to repeat some weeks due to being SO out of shape and then some illness, but overall I'm really happy. Last Friday, I ran for 20 minutes without stopping and I feel absolutely amazing. Stick to the program exactly (don't run more even if you think you can), repeat days or weeks if you feel you need to. Also, do not worry about increasing the speed of your runs until you're done with the program. You'll need to take it easy while your body gets used to running, the program is set up the way it is to prevent injury.

Other tips, if you don't have good running shoes, go to a running shop, get analyzed and fitted for a good pair of shoes -- this will save you from shin splints and lots of other nasties if you have the cash to spare. Make sure you carry ID, and a couple of bucks in case you need to stop for something to drink (like, if you feel lightheaded). Have fun!
  • sandyfeet10
    sandyfeet10 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I have an iphone. Does it tell you when to run and when to walk on your iphone? Do you exercise everyday?
  • sandyfeet10
    Options
    Also, I have Asic gels...are those good for running?
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I have an iphone. Does it tell you when to run and when to walk on your iphone? Do you exercise everyday?

There is a free podcast you can download from iTunes onto your phone by Richard Ullrey (sp?) that will tell you when to walk, when to jog, etc. The program is structured to have you running every other day. You could do other workouts on your days off C25k.
  • trini14
    trini14 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Well I don't have that much experience, because I started yesterday. I will say that I already love it, and I'm carrying some weight 232. I walk at 3mph and jog/run at 4mph (may not be fast for some, but hey its what I can do :) I really like that the voice over tells you when to walk and when to run. I've been doing my cardio on the elliptical and treadmill for about a month now, so I think that will help me. I find that if I do the elliptical and stairs because I do the C25K I don't feel like I'm dying........
  • TressaBarron
    Options
    The iphone app prompts you when to run and when to walk. It also allows you to play your own music in the background and will still cut in with prompts over your music. I used it for the first time yesterday and liked it. I will probably redo the same one later this week. I just started a bootcamp program last week that I go to 4 days a week so I thought the couch to 5k would be good filler on off days.
  • crummywatertowr
    crummywatertowr Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    It's hard to say about shoes without seeing you run...that's why I agree with person who said get to a local running store so they can analyze your gait. At a local running store, the shoes always pick you not the other way around.
  • sandyfeet10
    Options
    It's hard to say about shoes without seeing you run...that's why I agree with person who said get to a local running store so they can analyze your gait. At a local running store, the shoes always pick you not the other way around.

Sounds like Harry Potter and the wand picking the wizard!!!! LOL!!!!!!

I don't think I have money for running store shoes.....sounds expensive.
  • Enchantica
    Enchantica Posts: 117
    Options
    I did C25k earlier this year. It starts off as more of a walking program with a little bit of jogging and gradually builds up the jogging and decreases the walking. Before doing this program I struggled to jog between 2 lamp posts in the street and I've never been a distance runner! I was always a sprinter at school. I wanted to do something to burn off extra calories so I could eat cake and not put on weight! C25k builds up your jogging increments so slowly that you barley notice what's happening! I did it on a treadmill as I was too shy to jog outdoors I wasn't convinced I'd ever be able to jog 5k but by following the program I was able to jog 5k. Not at any great world record beating pace - and I'm not the most stylish jogger but I DID IT! . I went straight onto Bridge to 10k after finishing c25k I didn't think I'd ever finish Bridge to 10k but I did and I'm now doing 13.1 training (half marathon) but this time I'm doing it outdoors and I'm loving it! This time I don't think I've got a snowballs chance in hell of graduating the program but I've found that now I've got my confidence I'm loving jogging! (check out my blog - From Idle Sod to Love to Jog http://enchantica.blogspot.com/ )

I'm 50 years old and my online running buddy is 57 - if we can do c25k, b2:10k and can now embark on 13.1 training then anyone can do it and succeed!

Give it a go! You'll burn calories, feel fitter, and it will really boost your self confidence and make you feel great about yourself!

Good luck
    Netty
    :flowerforyou:
  • Enchantica
    Options
    Also, I have Asic gels...are those good for running?

I got Asics gels at the weekend after visiting a small running shop in my area and getting advice from the staff there (after they made me run up and down the street to check out how I ran etc) I've only used them once so far - they seem pretty good to me though - and much more comfortable than my last pair of running shoes (which I picked because of their colour, because they were on sale and because they didn't make my feet look big!) I now realise that (because of vanity) I've been wearing a pair of trainers that were at least half a size too small for me!
  • Enchantica
    Options
    and I definately think running outdoors is way harder than on a treadmill ;)

oooh yes - I agree 100% - it's much harder!
  • tigeratty
    tigeratty Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I've done Cto5k several times and I think it's the best thing out there. Even the well respected running coaches like Jeff Galloway encourage you to start running by doing intervals.

I'll be doing week 4 next. I have run off and on for years (never very fast) but not much this year so I thought I'd start from scratch.

I'm using the "Chubby Jones" podcasts. She's funny and encouraging and she plays club music. Her podcasts are free on Itunes. You don't even need a watch, you just turn on the podcast and she times it and plays the music for you. Such a huge improvement!

I would just encourage everyone to take as long as you need to do each week before you progress. That jump to the 20 minute run is a killer (I think it is week 6).

I think it helps to visualize oneself as a runner. I think we look at this and think, "It's so hard, how can I possible do this?" Instead of, "I can and will do this."

It always helps me to sign up for a 5k off in the future. Then I won't blow off any of my runs. I'm doing a Race for the Cure in Sept. and I hope I'll be ready, but if I have to walk part, so be it.

To do any sport, you need proper equipment. I recommend getting fitted for shoes at a running store. Your foot can roll in or out when you run and you need proper support. Also for ladies you need a good sports bra. Don't be bouncing all over out there. It can make your really sore!

And why not plan to buy yourself a cute new running shirt or shorts when you reach week ___? I've never had a matching running outfit but this time I'm buying myself one when I finish! (Target has cute stuff).

Run on, friends!

Shari